Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #21
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
I recall some PA state campgrounds only allow dogs in certain loops, not the entire campground. This is a upgrade from 12 years ago when some PA state campgrounds did not allow dogs.

I have friends that camp with their dog and their biggest issue is many naational parks do not allow dogs on trails. They love to hike and this restricts them.
nawww that ain't right.. makin' note to self to double check that in the future.

If Fred can't hike with us, we don't camp there. We're faithful with our poop scoopin' duties, as is required in non hiking areas, so what's the issue?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
I have friends that camp with their dog and their biggest issue is many naational parks do not allow dogs on trails. They love to hike and this restricts them.
Thanks for sharing this, as it is great information for our members to be aware of when planning their trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
so what's the issue?
As this does pertain to the OP's original question, some national parks do and many don't allow pet's on the trails.

The following excerpt was taken from these links:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/pets.htm

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...oing-dogs23134
-----------------------------------------------

Some national park sites do not allow dogs, and there are very good reasons for these restrictions:

* Dogs can potentially carry diseases that could affect the park’s wildlife. Unvaccinated dogs could spread diseases to park wildlife. Unfortunately, not all pet owners are responsible about keeping their dog’s vaccinations up to date.

* Dogs can unknowingly threaten wildlife, scaring birds and other animals away from nesting, feeding, and resting sites. The scent left by a dog can signal the presence of a predator, disrupting or altering the behavior of park wildlife. Small animals may hide in their burrow the entire day after smelling a dog and may not venture out to feed.

* Unfamiliar sights, sounds, and smells can disturb even the calmest, friendliest, and best-trained dogs, causing them to behave unpredictably or bark excessively. Domesticated dogs are descended from wolves, and their instincts can take over in a situation where they feel threatened or frightened.

* Pets may become prey for larger predators such as coyotes, mountain lions, and bears in some of the larger wilderness parks. Additionally, if a dog disturbs and enrages a bear, it may lead the angry bear directly to the owner. Dogs can also encounter insects that bite and transmit disease, and plants that are poisonous or full of thorns and burrs.

* Historic structures, archaeological sites, and sacred grounds are no places for dogs. Fido could unknowingly damage historic buildings or artifacts, disturb important archaeological sites, and walk over or relieve themselves in places that are sacred to Native Americans and other groups.

* Not everyone is a “dog person.” In fact, some people are afraid of dogs, and it is the responsibility of park officials to provide a safe, enjoyable environment for all visitors, even if they aren’t “dog people.” These rules are in place not only to protect your dog, but to protect you and other visitors as well as the environs of the park.

Failure to adhere to a park’s pet policy may result in a citation (minimum fine is $75). 36 CFR 2.15 (Code of Federal Regulations) provides more details concerning pets in National Park Service areas.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #23

Now I am feeling sorry for poor Fred!

Previous post detailed some great reasons dogs are sometimes not allowed in parks, trails, wilderness areas, and beaches.

While we are dog lovers, after our Border Collie, Maggie passed, we have decided to be dog free for a few years while we travel extensivey. We do love greeting and petting all the dogs we encounter while camping.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #24
NELA

Nahhh, don't feel sorry for Fred. He's livin' the life of Riley and we just won't camp where Fred isn't welcome on the hiking trails.

And just walking around the park, in most places, is enough hiking for him....and me!

I do know this; a lot of parks require that you prove that your pet's vaccinations are up-to-date. In addition, the doggy hotel where our senior dog stays requires up-to-date vaccination proof. This is a good thing.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #25

We will not camp anywhere our dog is not welcome.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #26
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
We will not camp anywhere our dog is not welcome.
X2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 CC  (30).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	61649  
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #27

Quote:
I recall some PA state campgrounds only allow dogs in certain loops, not the entire campground. This is a upgrade from 12 years ago when some PA state campgrounds did not allow dogs.

I have friends that camp with their dog and their biggest issue is many national parks do not allow dogs on trails. They love to hike and this restricts them.
Yup, a lot of PA state parks are NOT dog friendly. I live near 2 nice parks (Pinchot and Lake Marburg) neither is dog friendly. We only camp at parks that are dog friendly..like NY..and NEVER at a PA park again.

The straw that broke the camels back happened while staying in a PA state park. we went to walk our dog from the dog section to the public (dogs permitted) area about 100 yards or so. To get there, we walked on the road that runs between the dog spots( ours included) and the no dogs permitted spots. The camp host stopped us, and lectured my wife and I about how it is a violation of park rules to take the dogs off our site unless we put them in a vehicle and drive them. And if we were caught again, we would have to leave. WTF.

Oh, the same park, same night, another host entered our site while the wife and I were sitting at the fire. We were quietly sitting there, dogs inside, sipping on a favorite beverage, hidden inside a coozy. This host, walked up, never introducing herself, then literally trying to grab my beverage out of my chair. I stood up, asked her to leave whereas she promptly said she was a host and was checking for illegal alcoholic beverages. Again WTF.

My wife and I are very respectful. We try to be very quiet at all times. Don't play music outside. Our dogs rarely bark, I mean RARELY bark. Our kids have always been taught to never cross another's site. etc, etc. We just don't know what their issue was besides the dogs.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
Yup, a lot of PA state parks are NOT dog friendly. I live near 2 nice parks (Pinchot and Lake Marburg) neither is dog friendly. We only camp at parks that are dog friendly..like NY..and NEVER at a PA park again.

The straw that broke the camels back happened while staying in a PA state park. we went to walk our dog from the dog section to the public (dogs permitted) area about 100 yards or so. To get there, we walked on the road that runs between the dog spots( ours included) and the no dogs permitted spots. The camp host stopped us, and lectured my wife and I about how it is a violation of park rules to take the dogs off our site unless we put them in a vehicle and drive them. And if we were caught again, we would have to leave. WTF.

Oh, the same park, same night, another host entered our site while the wife and I were sitting at the fire. We were quietly sitting there, dogs inside, sipping on a favorite beverage, hidden inside a coozy. This host, walked up, never introducing herself, then literally trying to grab my beverage out of my chair. I stood up, asked her to leave whereas she promptly said she was a host and was checking for illegal alcoholic beverages. Again WTF.

My wife and I are very respectful. We try to be very quiet at all times. Don't play music outside. Our dogs rarely bark, I mean RARELY bark. Our kids have always been taught to never cross another's site. etc, etc. We just don't know what their issue was besides the dogs.
You have hit upon the reason why I never frequent our lovely State Parks here in the Communistwealth of PA. The DCNR rangers (and apparently camp hosts now, too) are always looking to be boy scouts and enforce every stupid rule, some of which are just asinine. I'm 43 years old--I'm not part of some college frat group having a kegger at the SP--if I want to sit around my campfire and have a beer, I'm going to. But not in a PA SP I'm not...NOOOO, we're not responsible enough adults here in PA to behave ourselves like adults and have a drink or 2 responsibly in our own camp site...

Sorry to rant off the topic, your post just reminded me of why I took that stance a while back. PA SPs not only aren't dog-friendly, in many ways they're not even people-friendly. OK, off soapbox, resume topic...
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #29

Locust Lake in PA is dog friendly:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...cnr_003711.pdf
Not sure about others - frankly never looked.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #30

I love dogs right up until they encroach in my space...whether it be physically or noise. We are fortunate that our Aussie is not a barker and is great being left alone in the FW while we are away. Like others in this discussion, we always ask our neighbors if our dog bothered them while we were away (even though we know she did not).

Unlike some folks we realize that our princess is a dog, not a human. And being as passive as a kitten, we never know what she or any other dog will do in the right/wrong circumstance, hence the leash laws.

I was blown away last summer when one of our "new generation, stay in the truck and do nothing State Park rangers" road thru the CG and on the second warning actually "got out of his truck" and made some folks pack up and leave. While all the time the people were denying there dogs were bothering anyone. (There labs barked nonstop every time they left in the boat until they returned.) They never asked anyone if their dogs bothered them while they were away. Not sure it would have changed anything with them if someone said yes.

All said, it's all about respecting your neighbors and the rules.
Read the rules...........
If CG does not allow dogs, stay some where else.
If CG allows dogs, respect fellow campers and CG staff and follow the rules...or be prepared for the consequences.

If GC does not allow alcohol, stay somewhere else...or be prepared for what happens with over zealous hosts or staff. (I too am not a fan of over zealous host or staff.)

2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote