Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio flyer View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss, we have been there a few times. You may want to try a rescue dog. It will help the kids & you guys.
I mostly agree. Give it a little time. I rescue beagles (although I've had other dogs). Those of us that rescue ask that if you're looking for a dog that you aren't going to show, don't go to a breeder. There are lots of animals out there waiting for a good home and before they are euthanized in a high kill shelter.

My current beagle was on death row with his sister in West Virginia. We got them both out the day before they would have gotten the needle. We flew my dog out to Portland, OR and I brought him home 200 miles north in west Washington.

If you ARE looking for a beagle and live in western Washington, I can do you home survey. If you're in Oregon, contact Cascade Beagle Rescue.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
asquared 's post was perfect. I can just imagine several of our furkids feeling the same way.
We've rescued 9 Shelties in a little over 16 years. Most have been middle aged, so we didn't have them all their lives. But, they gave their love unconditionally and we gave our love back to them. When the one rescue we had the longest, Sasha, passed away in our MH last October, DW and I were on the internet looking for new rescues the next evening. We are now complete with our three new ones. The funny thing? These three have many of the traits of three rescues we had 10 years ago. Tangie, a Merle, acts like Sasha, Cherry, a Sable, acts a lot like Jessica and Chatter, a tri-color, is the spittin' image in looks and personality of Mocha. In fact I'll call them the names of those long past. While I think of the others often, the hurt and pain does subside. And as I sit typing this, 2 of the 3 are laying next to my chair while the 3rd is guarding the door to the office. Great companions.
I've known more people who were glad they jumped back in and got another of the breed they just lost, than those who did and regretted it. However, only you know what's best for you.
God Bless and Guide you.
It's "funny". I was on my way home before reading this and I saw a beagle puppy. I thought how people that rescue older and senior dogs are very special people. You, indeed, are one of those.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
So sorry for your loss. This may make you cry at this point but it also may help you with your grief. It was sent to me when we lost our beloved Maddie. Maybe it will help you too.

THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF AN EXTREMELY DISTINGUISHED DOG

I, Chelsea, because of the burden of my illness and realizing the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my Last Will and Testament in the mind of my Master. She will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in her loneliness, she will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask her to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to all those who have loved me, to my Master, Vicky, who I know will mourn me the most, to my companion, Will, but if I should list all those who have loved me, it would force my Master to write a book. Perhaps it is vain of me to boast when I am so near death, which returns all beasts and vanities to dust, but I have always been an extremely exceptional dog.

I ask my Master to remember me always but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to her in time of sorrow and a reason for added joy in her happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause her pain. Let her remember that, while no dog ever had a happier life, I have now grown ill and pained. I should not want my pride to sink to a bewildered humiliation. It is time for me to say "good-bye". It will sorrow me to leave her but not sorrow me to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What will come to me after death? I will be in a place where one is always young; where I will someday be joined by companions I have known in life; where I will romp in lovely fields with those that have gone before me; where every hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and remembers the old brave days on earth and the love of one's Master.

This is much to expect but peace, at least, is certain, and a long rest for these weakened limbs. And eternal sleep is perhaps, after all, the best.

One last request I earnestly make. I ask her, for love of me to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have another Lab. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me, she cannot live without one! I have never had a narrow spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good. Some dogs are better than others--like me--and so I suggest a Black Lab as my successor. She can hardly be as well bred or as mannered or as distinguished and beautiful as I, but my Master must not ask the impossible. She will do her best, I am sure, and even her inevitable defects will help keep my memory green. To her I bequeath my collar and leash. I leave her my place in the car which I loved so much and wish for her long rides with open windows.

One last word of farewell, dear Master. Whenever you think of me, say to yourself with regret but also with happiness in your heart at the remembrance of my happy life with you, "She is the one who loved us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep, I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.
This is GREAT. I'm "stealing" it and posting it on my Facebook page.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #24
jkoenig24

Condolences on your family's loss.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #25

We lost our Sadie a few months ago, and miss her every day. Camping trips are the worst, she loved them so much. We really hate that we had just upgraded to a larger trailer that she would have truly loved.
We do understand your heartache.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #26

So sorry

It's hard losing a good friend, Especially the furry ones. We have all been there at one point or another. Remember the good times you had with you travel companion. Press on!
PapaBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #27

I am sorry for your loss. I have loss 4 Dobermans in the last 35 years and each one had their own personality's, yet all were faithful loving companions to my family. When the time is right another will present itself to you. You will never forget. As a good friend once told me the best place to bury a dog is in your heart.

Peace

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #28

Life is a series of dogs. Some are harder to get over than others. but the best ways is to get another.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #29

So sorry, know how a mess it can be. Lost my 13 yo JRT last year. He loved camping and got to do four trips after being diagnosed with congestive heart failure before he had to stop. Miss him much when we go still, but we are breaking in a new little guy this year. Prayers for your family.
berkdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #30

Condolences from my family to yours I lost 1 in april 2015 and I still cry when I read these so sorry for your loss.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Been there more times than I cared to. My sympathies. Remember...they are waiting for you at the end of the Rainbow Bridge and they will wait patiently until that day arrives.

Ditto - they were welcomed by some of our very best [emoji190][emoji252][emoji304][emoji179]
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #32

Know it well. Have a fourteen and a half male Lab mix and a fifteen and a half female Golden. Time is not on their side. Yes its a heart break when they go, but they give so much back. Both of ours are rescues. The Golden was 13 when she adopted us and camping!
Old 07-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
We lost our good buddy this week...kids are a mess, wife and I are a mess, everything is a mess. Mornings are the worst...Attachment 144928
Your pup was blessed to have you ... the pieces of your hearts that they take with them when they leave us can be so painful at first .. but never trade all that unconditional love that they bring for anything else on this planet...nothing compares.

So sorry for your loss

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #34

Sorry to hear of your loss. Having just gone through it recently we know what you are feeling. Fortunately for us there is just the two of us but Joanne is still a bit bothered by it. Just goes to show what good owners you are to be so sensitive. We have no immediate plans to replace Pouter as we feel he was one of a kind and our daughter has a cute cuddly one eyed rescue dog that helps us fill the void. I'm sure your sweet friend misses you and the kids as much as you miss him but you will meet again someday. Best of luck. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #35

We are so sorry, its a great loss, we lost our Cubs when he was 15, cancer, all our kids grew up with him, took us a year to finally come to the conclusion we needed another companion, have had Sierra for 12 years now, but still sometimes slip and call her Cubs, hard to get over, always in our hearts, but there is another companion out there for your hearts to love again.
mchayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:27 AM   #36

Sorry for your loss. I know how you are feeling. We had to put down our Lucy (white) after a stroke three weeks ago. It happened a day before our last camping trip. It wasn't the same, but what made me and dw feel better was the journey our 17 year old puppy had. She started her life living in Chicago and then moved to Ky where she became a farm dog! From there, after my wife and I got married, she moved in with us. Later, we got her a companion, Dudley (brown) ( who has an interesting life story, but that's for a different post). We took them on our yearly camping vacations to Fl, Tn, round trip to Co and many weekenders. Not many dogs can say they've been there and done that.... My long drawn out point is: you should feel happy about the life that you given them and the happy memories they've given you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1812.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	145024
johngoat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:33 AM   #37

I'm very sorry for your family's loss. We've lost too many to count between us over the last 15 years. They all still hold special places in our hearts. The ashes of our last 3 labs and a ship tzu share shelf space in our home. There's room for one more, but once he's gone we're done. I can't bear the loss.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #38

So sorry for your loss. It is so difficult to lose a family member.
Single Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #39
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio flyer View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss, we have been there a few times. You may want to try a rescue dog. It will help the kids & you guys.

Rescue dogs are absolutely the best. They seem to sense their rescue and on our multiple rescue dogs over the years we have found undying loyalty. (Rescue cars too,)

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Rescue dogs are absolutely the best. They seem to sense their rescue and on our multiple rescue dogs over the years we have found undying loyalty. (Rescue cars too,)
We have a Male Lab mix, a Female Golden, and a 62 Falcon, all rescues!

Tags
camping