Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #1

Camping Parrot

We take our African Grey Parrot with us Camping.. She happy as long as she is with us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	216
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	12264   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	226
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	12265   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	210
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	12266  
kegoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #2

She's beautiful!
jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamar View Post
She's beautiful!
Ditto.

I have a friend that has an African Grey.....very intelligent animals.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #4

We used to only have a tent trailer, then when i got Izzy 5 years ago we upgraded to a 28 ft travel trailer and now have a Sabre 34REQS on order. My husband says its an expensive bird cage. Since I would not take her in our tent trailer.
kegoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegoneill View Post
We used to only have a tent trailer, then when i got Izzy 5 years ago we upgraded to a 28 ft travel trailer and now have a Sabre 34REQS on order. My husband says its an expensive bird cage.

That's OK, we have an expensive dog kennel.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #6

Just beautiful!! We took our first trip in the motorhome from CT to SC with 5 dogs and our cockatiel (Sydney). Seemed to enjoy the trip except for the bumps in the road.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #7

I am so glad too see someone traveling with the parrots. We have 5 including 2 African Grey's a Sun Conure, An Orange Wing Amazon and a female Eclectus. We know what it's like to have our feathered children with us. They do not like us too go away too long. We removed the sleep sofa and I built frames to mount the cage's so they go when we go.
wolfeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #8

Oh my 5, thats a handful. I understand i could never leave my Izzy behind. One thing we do is get a pressure bar to mount on the width of the inside walls, and hang up swings and rope bong things for her to perch and play on. Good idea removing sofa. You will need the room, i know how much one bird takes...lol
Old 08-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #9

Our African grey and Mexican double yellow head will never stay in some back room of a bird store or vets office ever again. The first and only time we ever boarded our African grey, she lost 10% of her weight due to stress. The reason we traded in our class C Jayco Greyhawk we precisely so my wife and I would have more room for our parrots. We bought stackable double cages for our birds. They would never tolerate the same cage but will stay on a play stand or on open doors of the big cage.

I could not vacation or enjoy myself unless I knew that our Lab retriever and parrots were safe and eating well. (Actually I know our Lab would eat well even if a tornado was next to him but that's another story)
We had the birds under the Tiki hut on Bluewater Key Resort near Key West and they loved it.
One of the benefits of RV's is having your pets with you while you travel.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #10

I agree Alan they just are not happy unless we are all together. After the first couple of trips out and our's have become RVr's. They enjoy the trips and the change of scenery just like we do.
wolfeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #11

Hello all, we also travel with our African Grey and we are planning a trip over New years and it is pretty cold so we will need to use the RV heater. Is the heater fumes safe for birds? I would think so, but would like any input anyone may have.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #12

Beautiful, we used to travel with a Quaker Parrot named Tobi, he would go for walks around the CG and sit on his perch outside our trailer. When older women would walk by he would say "whatcha doin" and when young girls would walk by he would whistle. He loved when all the campground kids would come and visit him. Unfortunately I started working more and more hours and Tobi was unhappy and he took it out on my wife, he would bite her and scream constant when I wasn't around. I found a lady that had many birds and gave him to her. Sometimes I really miss him at the cg he was always a good way to open conversation.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd2000tbd View Post
Hello all, we also travel with our African Grey and we are planning a trip over New years and it is pretty cold so we will need to use the RV heater. Is the heater fumes safe for birds? I would think so, but would like any input anyone may have.

We have a propane furnace and electric fire place in our trailer. I always get nervous using them with Izzy ( African Grey).
So far we have had no problem, as long as all equipment is in working order. I have a air cleaner that I use in the trailer just to make me feel better.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #14

We camped last January in Virginia for a week and a half with the dogs and our cockatiel. It was very cold, furnace was continually on. Sydney was fine I just kept a towel over part of her cage to keep the drafts away.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #15

We take ours some times.When we don't we leave with a friend who takes great care of him.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #16

Friends who have a severe macaw used to camp with us. GB loved it when they drained their solar shower - he'd run back and forth underneath it with his wings spread, muttering with pleasure as the water dripped out on him. (He'd also bite holes in their air mattresses - back in the tent-camping days - and then scuttle just out of reach and laugh and laugh.)
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote