Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #1

Camping with 2 cats and a dog

We never really discussed getting a dog sitter for weekends that we were planning on going camping. We just knew that we would take our Siberian Husky, Sled, with us. After 2 different trips without my other fur babies, I couldn't take it anymore. I informed hubby that the cats would be going with us, too. We have a 1 year old Ragdoll cat, Mitsy, and a 15 year old tuxedo cat, Sylvester. Our biggest problem was where to put the litter box.

The first trip that we took the cats, we kept the litter box in the closet. Our TT actually does have a real closet in it. However, the closet is right next to the door and we had to leave the closet door open for the kitties. Not the prettiest thing to look at when you first walk into our TT!

Hubby suggested getting a cat door for the closet. However, by the end of our first trip with the kitties, we learned that the litter box was just too small, in order to fit in the closet and also to accommodate our senior citizen cat.

We have a storage bin under our bed that can be accessed by folding the mattress back. So, I suggested that we put the litter box in there. That way, it was out of sight and people didn't see it the second they came into our TT. Hubby was worried about smell. Fortunately, it really isn't a issue. I had him install the cat door on the side of the storage box. It is quite big, so a large litter box fits well in there. The box is made of cedar so it has a nice smell. Plus, with only the small cat door on the side, no chance of smell getting out. I even put a night light in there for the kitties. My husband thinks I'm ridiculous since cats can see in the dark. But I told him that since one of the cats is very old, he might actually need the light in there.

The cats have now been on 4 trips with us and they actually seem to like it! The young one lays on the back of the couch, staring out the window at birds. The old one just sleeps on my bed. Not much different from home. LOL And since the cats now travel with us, I am a happy lady. Our kids are happy that the cats can come, too. So every time that we camp it is 2 adults, 3 kids, 1 dog and 2 cats. And, yes, we all ride in the cab of the truck. It is a little cramped, but we make it work.

Happy wife, happy life! Right?

2016 Trips:16 Nights:41
2015 Trips:13 Nights:29
2014 Trips:13 Nights:31
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #2

Potty train them?
Never to old to learn new tricks.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Farm Living

interested in pics of the beneath-the-bed litter set-up. we're trying to figure that out too.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #4

We also travel with a sibe and an aussie,but the cats (oddly enough one is a ragdoll!) can stay home and take care of them selves. The nieghbor comes once a day to take care of the mules,donkey/horses,so she checks on them.We just upgraded to a 315fw toy hauler from a LQ horse trailer.The dogs have thier own space with this setup.I would be interested in a pic of your ragdoll,ours is huge at 34 lbs,and we wonder if thats normal!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #5

Love how you are able to accommodate the kitties! Hubby would NEVER go for that. We have 5 cats! lol
TeamPlumlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Dazed & Confused

We take our one dog and one cat on the road with us. The cat travels in his soft carrier that is attached to seat belt and we got a harness that attaches to the seat belt for the dog. Our bathroom is the full width of the trailer and thus is roomy, so that is where the litter box is placed. Food and water bowls are on a boot tray near the front door. Both adapted quickly.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #7

We have been camping with a cat for the last 4 seasons and just adopted another cat, so will see how that works out. Never been a problem, except for the fact that she is used to getting up and fed by 0600 when I get up and get going for work, her schedule does not change and she will let you know it. Other than early mornings, she will sit on your chest and meow until you get up, no problems.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #8

We always take our 4 cats with us. They are family and enjoy going as much as we enjoy their presence. Our oldest one loves to walk around our NY primitive campgrounds on her leash. We're going to Myrtle Beach for a week in April and they will be with us.

2013 F150 Super Cab 4x4, 3.5L ecoboost , 7700lb suspension package. 11,300 towing capacity and Max Tow package
2015 Flagstaff 8528IKWS Diamond
aquaholic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #9

Oh, and "Adi" the oldest gets her name from ADK the abbreviation for Adirondack. Her name is Addie K but we call her Adi. When we got her she was only a wee kitten and we didn't really name her until her first trip to the ADKs.

2013 F150 Super Cab 4x4, 3.5L ecoboost , 7700lb suspension package. 11,300 towing capacity and Max Tow package
2015 Flagstaff 8528IKWS Diamond
aquaholic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic3 View Post
We always take our 4 cats with us. They are family and enjoy going as much as we enjoy their presence. Our oldest one loves to walk around our NY primitive campgrounds on her leash. We're going to Myrtle Beach for a week in April and they will be with us.

When you are out and about do you leave the kitties in the Motorhome alone?
How do you secure them when you are traveling?
Where do you put the litter box?
Xhevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:54 PM   #11

Besides the liter box location question ... How do you keep them from bolting out the door at the campsite? That would be my concern if we were to take our cat with us.
KathyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #12

We travel with one cat that has "Wobbly Cat Syndrome" [resque cat] and loves the TT. Not so much the TV unless he is sitting in my lap. DW is jealous.
I installed a pet flap into the side of the bed stand and have the litter box in there with a small muffin fan to vent it outside.
"Duke" will walk up to the door and lay there, but not go outside and I don't have to go outside to walk him.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:23 AM   #13

3 dogs (boxers) and a cat is why we upgraded from a 26 foot bumper pull with a very small narrow slide to our Wildcat 27rl with a very deep and wide slide.

We put the litter box under the dinette table. Its a self cleaning litter box so smell is not an issue and there is only 2 of us so still plenty of room for our feet when we sit at the dinette.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:58 AM   #14

Our cat is so brave she seldom meets us at the door. We put the litter pan in the shower tub, she travels in the bin between the truck bucket seats, generally sleeping and reverts to purring after returning home and inspecting her empire. She will give modest diffidence after about 10 days on the road, currently on 28th day so we may get a small purr, short lived in a day or two.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, cat