Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #11

All of the dog suggestions posted so far should be helpful... esp about the poop, leash and barking. Most CGs say dogs must be on a 6' leash but I've never had a problem with a longer one in our immediate area.

We sometimes let our Lab sleep outside but if he barks, we bring him inside. WalMart has collapsable nylon dog crates for about $27. They are great b/c they fold flat for storage and weigh almost nothing.

FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #12

I don't go camping without my dog. If my dog isn't welcome I go elsewhere.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #13

For us, we stay at only Provincial Parks, National Parks, ... and when down in the US of A ... State and Nationals. We find there is a large difference in clients that go the provincal, state and national parks, that those who go the private campground route.
Good campgrounds have rules to abide by, and security to back them up.
I just got back from camping in an Ontario provincial park this morning, I was one of only 3 campers in there ... and this morning I saw a OPP cruiser driving around .. making sure everyone is ok.

hope this helps .. d-mo ..
Old 05-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #14

We always take our boxer wherever we go. In fact all vacations are planned around taking him for the most part. All of the above are great suggestions. Poop bags, bed, food, toys, water, treats, and papers are always packed and left in the camper for the next outing. Manners are an absolute must all the time. Those were taught from a pup. The other thing we always bring is a kennel. Our boxer was kennel trained from a pup, more so for his safety than anything. Now that he is older it isn't a problem as much but if we have to leave him in the camper for a short amount of time without us there he is in his kennel. We also turn on the radio for distraction noise and leave our cell phone printed on a piece of paper in a window. (just in case)
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #15

All good things to consider prior to bringing your dogs. Also, if your active people and are gone for long periods of time hiking / biking / or whatever in warm or hot weather, you need to keep in mind " what If" the campground loses power and the air is cut off to the Camper.

In warm to hot weather, without the AC, these things get unbearable inside in a short period of time.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #16

Would love to take our dog camping with us but unfortunatly, he is too old and does not travel well any more.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #17
Flagstaff 625D Popup

As a non-pet owner, the biggest issue for me is the barking. Oh the freaking non-stop barking...It drives me up a wall. Everytime a person or chipmunk gets near the camper, here we go with another 10 minutes of non-stop barking.

Now, I understand that a dog is going to let out a bark now and then. But if your dog barks when anything gets close to your camper....Please leave your dog at home. I paid good money to have some peace and quiet on the weekend.

I'd like to bring an air-horn with me, and everytime someone's dog barks I'd give it a good blast in their direction. Maybe then they would understand how annoying it is. But I'd likely get thrown out of the campground for something like that.

Sorry to go off like this, but barking dogs are my biggest problem when we go camping. No...Let me correct that...Dog owners who bring dogs that bark all the time to a campground are my biggest problem when we go camping. After all, it is not the dog fault that he/she is there.

Bean
Old 05-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
All good things to consider prior to bringing your dogs. Also, if your active people and are gone for long periods of time hiking / biking / or whatever in warm or hot weather, you need to keep in mind " what If" the campground loses power and the air is cut off to the Camper.

In warm to hot weather, without the AC, these things get unbearable inside in a short period of time.
That's why I stopped taking my cat and dog. It would be terrible if the TT lost power while we're gone.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #19

We travel with a large boxer mix and a louisiana Catahoula, both enjoy being with us, and the outdoors, we wouldnt dream of going camping without them.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #20
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
As a non-pet owner, the biggest issue for me is the barking. Oh the freaking non-stop barking...It drives me up a wall. Everytime a person or chipmunk gets near the camper, here we go with another 10 minutes of non-stop barking.

Now, I understand that a dog is going to let out a bark now and then. But if your dog barks when anything gets close to your camper....Please leave your dog at home. I paid good money to have some peace and quiet on the weekend.

I'd like to bring an air-horn with me, and everytime someone's dog barks I'd give it a good blast in their direction. Maybe then they would understand how annoying it is. But I'd likely get thrown out of the campground for something like that.

Sorry to go off like this, but barking dogs are my biggest problem when we go camping. No...Let me correct that...Dog owners who bring dogs that bark all the time to a campground are my biggest problem when we go camping. After all, it is not the dog fault that he/she is there.

Bean
LOL! And most times its not necessarily the barking that annoys; it is the anticipation of the next 'bark'..........

DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad