Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #21

We leave a fiery 5 lb. long hair Dotson miniature at home , she barks at everyone and every thing . She is great watch dog and would chew off your toe nails .. Lol

We have a cockatoo at home and when Rebel comes in she Bird hunts . She can not even reach the bottom of the cage , but she watches
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Congrats on the new trailer!

A well behaved dog at home = a well behaved dog camping, after all, it's usually the owners fault for any bad behavior ;p
I would be doing tick checks on them daily and ask your veterinarian about what shots they should have ie: a leptospirosis vaccine (bacteria spread by rodent urine)

I am sure they will love camping just as much as you!
And heartworm also.....
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #23

We camp with 2 boxers and they enjoy it as much as we do!

They each have a cot & a dog bed on top of them and a fan when it's really hot. They are ALWAYS leashed or on their cables. They seldom bark and usually only when another dog barks/charges at them first.

Little dogs are still dogs and should never be off leash or a tie out. Why the owners that let them run loose think it's a good idea is beyond me. We've been charged by any number of loose little dogs and their owners think it's really funny that their little dogs think they can fight my dogs. The owners also seem to be deaf since they do nothing to correct the barking.

I would not want my dogs to attack any dog but especially a small snacker dog and certainly don't encourage it but my dogs are dogs and will defend themselves. Fortunately, they've not done so. YET.

You mentioned your dogs would "most likely" stay inside at night. I'd take the "most likely" out of that and make sure they stay inside. There are all sorts of critters that roam at night that you wouldn't want your dogs to tangle with.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #24

Campground management

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We camp with 2 boxers and they enjoy it as much as we do!

They each have a cot & a dog bed on top of them and a fan when it's really hot. They are ALWAYS leashed or on their cables. They seldom bark and usually only when another dog barks/charges at them first.

Little dogs are still dogs and should never be off leash or a tie out. Why the owners that let them run loose think it's a good idea is beyond me. We've been charged by any number of loose little dogs and their owners think it's really funny that their little dogs think they can fight my dogs. The owners also seem to be deaf since they do nothing to correct the barking.

I would not want my dogs to attack any dog but especially a small snacker dog and certainly don't encourage it but my dogs are dogs and will defend themselves. Fortunately, they've not done so. YET.

You mentioned your dogs would "most likely" stay inside at night. I'd take the "most likely" out of that and make sure they stay inside. There are all sorts of critters that roam at night that you wouldn't want your dogs to tangle with.
Thanks Karen, we would have brought this problem to the attention of the campground management, but there was literally no one there. It was one of these "Put your money in an envelope and drop it in the box and put the sticker in your window" boondocks campgrounds. Completely unattended which is why these people were allowed to go wild all night. We won't be going back to that campground.

Kix
Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

OK, all done. Gun posts are now in the "traveling with Firearms" thread and the camping with dogs thread is being moved to "pets" forum as well.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #26

We take our Yorkie wherever we go. The yapper has a tendency to bark at anything that moves, but her bark is not usually loud and for the most part is contained within our campsite. We will not allow any incessant barking and will control it. In fact, I think it is mannerly to contain any perceived disturbance to within the confines of your own campsite. I have witnessed spousal arguments, parents yelling at children (which is more disturbing to me than a pack of yowling dogs anyday) and just out right rude , obnoxiously loud individuals. I guess camping means different things to different people and I suppose tolerence is the key.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #27
flc

One of my former hobbies was Upland Game hunting. I say former because my constant companion on those trips is now older and retired. He traveled with me for 14 years to all sorts of fancy or rustic campgrounds but now spends his time in the back yard enjoying retirement and occasionally retrieving his ball. He is Shooting Starr's Commander (Ike), a NAVHDA GSP. He was the most enjoyable traveling companion possible. He doesn't travel with us now as it's too hard on an old arthritic dog so he gets to stay behind with the baby sitter. I'll miss him when he is gone. My wife's two Westies do go with us and they are very enjoyable also. The responsibility for well behaved dogs rests with the owners and I have found most handle that responsibility very well.

2013 Bullet 248 RKS (soon)
2012 F150 SuperCrew w/Ecoboost 3.5L
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #28

We take our 2 german shepherds. They love it!!! They sleep in the trailer, we walk and run them on the trails and around the campground, which helps with the barking and excitment of seeing new things. Also one is still a puppy, so any excess energy we can burn off helps. Enjoy camping!!!

2012 30, 2013 25, 2014 29, 2015 37
hockey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey11 View Post
We take our 2 german shepherds. They love it!!! They sleep in the trailer, we walk and run them on the trails and around the campground, which helps with the barking and excitment of seeing new things. Also one is still a puppy, so any excess energy we can burn off helps. Enjoy camping!!!
I think exercise is the Key, we do the same, 2 walks a day, and they are so tired they dont even think about barking!! The dogs that people do not leash, or do not keep on their own site is the only issue I have seen, besides cleaning up after their dogs!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #30

This may sound silly, but I have made up a medical folder for our animals, each animal has it's own section, first page is a "Mug" shot full face and profile, second page is the vets info, then ALL medical receipts for treatments their ID CHIPS and rabies certificates.This way I always have everything handy and my dogs ALWAYS loose their tags but this way I have all the things I need in one spot......( I do this for the family also LOL just different paperwork)
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
This may sound silly, but I have made up a medical folder for our animals, each animal has it's own section, first page is a "Mug" shot full face and profile, second page is the vets info, then ALL medical receipts for treatments their ID CHIPS and rabies certificates.This way I always have everything handy and my dogs ALWAYS loose their tags but this way I have all the things I need in one spot......( I do this for the family also LOL just different paperwork)

I don't think it's silly. I think it's a very responsible thing to do. I was refused entry into the US one time because I didn't have current rabies vaccination records for my dog.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #32

Quote:
This may sound silly, but I have made up a medical folder for our animals, each animal has it's own section, first page is a "Mug" shot full face and profile, second page is the vets info, then ALL medical receipts for treatments their ID CHIPS and rabies certificates.This way I always have everything handy and my dogs ALWAYS loose their tags but this way I have all the things I need in one spot....
Lol I do this exact same thing for our boxer. I have every paper, receipt, cerificate etc. from every vet appt from the day he was born. It's nice to have it organized just in case you need to refer back to it. Now that I think about it, I think the dog is taken care of better than our kids. oops sorry kids!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #33
KRS

How about training them to use the stairs into and out of the tt? We don't have stairs at home and she doesn't seem to understand the tt stairs.
Cummins exhaust brake
Air bags
KRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
While what you are doing is more than we are currently doing; I see a need to do what YOU are doing; PDQ.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS View Post
How about training them to use the stairs into and out of the tt? We don't have stairs at home and she doesn't seem to understand the tt stairs.
Maybe try using their favorite treats? Put one on the bottom stair and then work your way up into the trailer and vice versa. Don't force them or they wont be comfortable to do it. Then give lots of praise so that they know it's a good thing. Our boxer knows that when we load our clothes and groceries that we are going camping and he gets excited and will go in. Otherwise he could care less about going in it.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bnabird View Post
Maybe try using their favorite treats? Put one on the bottom stair and then work your way up into the trailer and vice versa. Don't force them or they wont be comfortable to do it. Then give lots of praise so that they know it's a good thing. Our boxer knows that when we load our clothes and groceries that we are going camping and he gets excited and will go in. Otherwise he could care less about going in it.
I had two dogs years ago; now I have cats. When we had dogs it was EXTREMELY difficult to leave the house with your keys. Even if you tried picking them up very quietly and didn't make a peep, you'd turn around and there they were at your feet....tails wagging and that "take us along!" look. I swear they woke up from a sound sleep and knew exactly when you were picking up your keys. It was rather spooky.....
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #37

Getting the pooch to go into the trailer is just a matter of training.

We began by training our dogs over the years to go into the crate on command (we say "kennel) and use this routine every time we feed our dog just to keep him from jumping when we get the food out... in fact, he immediately runs into the crate all by himself if he even thinks there is a treat involved!

Same thing with getting them in the truck or TT... not saying it's always easy with an older dog, but it can be done with training and reward... Also, if you get a chance to watch the Dog Whisperer on cable, Ceasar Milan has a lot of useful ideas in this area... all having to do mostly with psychology, not force.

FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #38

We take our dog with us everywhere we go. If somewhere has pet restrictions, we don't bother going. Kind of pathetic, but she has her own camp chair and ramps for the exterior step and for the queen bed so she can come and go. We even took her to the dealer to romp around in the new camper before we bought it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	14387   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	14388   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	14389  
Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #39

@trudinator lol I know exactly what you mean!! Also with the cheese package. I swear he can be downstairs sound asleep and you can open and close the fridge twenty times. The second you touch the cheese wrapper he is flying up the stairs. Go figure!

@FreedomTracker I am a big fan of kennel training. We use the same philosophy when we want him to come into the house, getting in the trailer and truck. All by command. As soon as he comes in from going outside he goes straight to his kennel to receive his treat. There are times that we can't find him and then look in his kennel and he is sound asleep in it with the door open. He loves it!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #40

We always take our yorkie camping and bring his X-pen to keep him in instead of a tie out. Usually he is on a leash on my lap or in my arms but if I need to put him down in the X-pen he goes. He is only in it with supervision, we use a crate to keep him in if we are not around.

I feel it's safer than a tie-up lead, when I was younger I remember my neighbors who tied their puppy to a tie-up lead off their trailer. Left for 10 minutes and came back to find the puppy had ran around and around shortening the lead and had hung himself. Very very sad.
Owned by Gucci our Yorkie
Breezygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad