Old 05-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Question Camping with dogs

Hello All,

We are very excited about our new Rockwood A122BH camper and I wonder how many of you take your dogs with you when you go camping? We have a couple of small dogs that are a big part of our lives and we would like to take them with us on camping adventures. Are there any tricks, methods, pitfalls that we should know about when taking our dogs along with us when camping?

2006 Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner
Rockwood A122BH
kixonrt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
I have a Britt. and he go's where I do. It's fun to share the great out doors with my bud. I always take his papers with us in case someone wants to see that he has his tags and shots. Trust me someone will want to see them.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
I camp with one dog (lgr) and we have friends that camp with 4 sm dogs. From my stand point its all about barking and poop.... If you pick up after your pet then thats a big plus. I know I hate to take mine for a walk and see poop that the owners were to lazy to pick up. As for barking, I know its hard for a dog not to bark, but there is a bark and then there is hours of barking. I have been in parks where dogs have barked for hours on end and that has happened with owners there or not. If your pet can limit its barking and you pick up afterwards take them and enjoy them thats why we have pets.
3500 Ram 5.9l diesel
08 35 RLT Cardinal
5th Airborne Pin Box
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Congrats on the new trailer!

A well behaved dog at home = a well behaved dog camping, after all, it's usually the owners fault for any bad behavior ;p
I would be doing tick checks on them daily and ask your veterinarian about what shots they should have ie: a leptospirosis vaccine (bacteria spread by rodent urine)

I am sure they will love camping just as much as you!
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Rockwood 2306
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Those three posts have hit the biggest highlights: Supervise your dog, always use a short leash and don't leave him alone for long, pick up after him, and try to control the barking.

Know the CG's rules for dogs and abide by them.
Up-to-date with shots.
Plenty of water for the heat.
Be aware of ticks and areas with Lyme.
Wildlife varies by area so know the area.
Get ID tags with your cell phone number engraved on it.
Brushing his coat and wiping off his feat before coming back into the trailer will help keep things somewhat cleaner.

Most of all ... have fun!!
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Camping with dogs

Thanks very much folks! All very good suggestions for sure. I had not thought of bringing license and shot/vaccination papers with us, that's a very good idea. We always pick up after our pets and generally they do not bark much, once in a while but we have tried hard to train them not to do this. Our little ones usually go wherever we go so they are almost never left alone. Water and a comfortable environment for our dogs is a fact they are spoiled rotten in this department. They always have plenty of fresh water and we try to feed them healthy food too. they do get treats a bit more than they should I suppose, but healthy dog treats, never human food. We love them very much and try to be responsible pet owners. They will most likely stay inside the camper with us at night.

Thanks to all for the great advice!

2006 Toyota Tacoma Pre Runner
Rockwood A122BH
kixonrt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
We also have a small dog and everything above is true. I would like to add that that it took some time to get her comfortable in the camper. Make sure you bring their favorite toys etc. Also the doors on campers are not very strong and was real easy for her to push open if she saw a critter she wanted to meet. We also ended up putting a metal panel on the bottom of the door-one that she could still see out of because she ripped the screen out!!! Every CG we've been to require that dogs be kept on leashes at all time
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
I have a boxer and a yorkie that go with us all the time. My usual checklist for them:

1. Toys
2. 15' tie outs that I can adjust
3. Leash's
4. plush dog beds to sleep on
5. lots of water
6. FRONTLINE (or comparable)
7. Food

We do have 2 of these beds but the lil guy likes to kick her off whichever one she's on..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	puppies.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	14291  
TT = 2014 Palomino Solaire Eclipse 318TSBHK
TV = 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L V8
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 3yo DD (Riley), another DD cookin (Kennedy)
Security: 5yo Boxer (Sasha), 14yo yorkie (Porter)...he was married in
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
My dog won't let us go unless we take her! (She hides the keys to the tow vehicle..).

Advice: Check them for ticks regularly (or the ticks could end up on you!). All the above comment are great! (I didn't think about carrying her vaccination papers - good idea! ).

As much as I enjoy getting out in my camper, I think my Sheltie likes it more!
David and Jo Ann G. (& Kenzie the Sheltie)
Prattville, Alabama
2012 Rockwood A128S "Rocko" 160+ Nights!
Nights Camped 2012 - 2015 = 165
Nights Camped 2016 = 21 (as of Oct 16, 2016)
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
I thought the post was about bring you dogs on a camping trip?

We don't because we usually head out for the day and many places have pet restrictions. We don,t want to leave the dog cooped up in the camper while we are off.

2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2015 Toyota Tundra
wfmdfm is offline   Reply With Quote

led pad