Old 12-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #1

cats in TT

First trip coming up (Michigan to Florida) and we will be taking dogs and cats. The dogs will be traveling in the truck, with us, and our plan is to have the cats in the TT while we drive. I know that there is concern with this but we plan on giving it a shot.

Obviously with it being winter the TT will be cold and our plan is to leave the furnace running on a low setting. Is there a problem with this? Being new I have no idea of the issues that may arise with propane or any fallout from driving while running the furnace.

Thoughts - suggestions??

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 (Sterling) Auto w/built trans, 4X4 Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins
mikemc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #2

I suggest you read this and then reconsider your plan.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...q4Sg6zAdQMJpcg

Please.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #3

Please reconsider travelling with your pets in your TT. There are also a lot of RVers out there a lot smarter than I am who will not travel with their propane on which I believe would be needed to run your furnace.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #4

Someone had earlier posted about leaving their dogs in trailer and traveling with them. Almost killed them with co poisoning. Not recommended. Look for and read the posts then you can decide. MH yes, trailer of any kind NO!
Old 12-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
Site Team

I would put your cat's in the truck. If not enough oom in the front of the truck, get a cap on the truck and secure the crates in the bed of the truck. You can bed the cats down warmly the crates. If you have a rear window, open it so they can get some heat back there too.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Usually Confused Member

Why do RVs have this problem but not horse trailers. One of mine is totally enclosed with the a/c running on really hot days. Many years doing this with no problem.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Livestock trailers have different venting than rv's
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #8

Still seems like a VERY rare issue and lots of people travel with pets in their RV. How often do you pull into someplace and find your detector going off? I never have. Obviously by the other post, it's possible but certainly not the norm. I'm actually very curious about the set of circumstances that lead to it. Not saying the person did anything wrong, but there usually a reason when something is the exception as opposed to the rule.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Livestock trailers have different venting than rv's
Livestock trailers, yes. But many dedicated horse trailers (including mine) are sealed up as tight as any RV when the windows are closed. The only time we haul with open windows and roof vents is when the temperatures are between 45-70 degrees. Below that, closed windows and it stays reasonably warm (or, should I say not too cold) because of the body heat from three horses. Above 75 the windows are closed and the A/C is run. Even on a really hot day the temp with a/c runs around 80 degrees or so. Maybe it's not a problem because the horse area is behind the living quarters area and a long way from the diesel exhaust.

But, I think I'll just keep letting the dogs ride in the truck.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #10

Their is a very big difference running a heater that run on propane in a TT and running with your a/c that runs on elec when driving

Tags
cat