Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I created a group on FB for doxie lovers, and one of my members posted this today:

She went to her vet for annual shots for her pup and the vet told her that another of her patients had their dog get stung by a wasp. The owner quickly grabbed their own "epi pen" and injected it into the dog.

Within seconds the dog expired. Vet asked that she share it with everyone she could.

Epi pens are fatal for dogs!
Thanks for this, got to get a new script for my pens.

I would never use my pen on my dog, a dose for a 170 pound man is way too much for a 70 pound dog! My guess is that poor pet owner just got scared and didn't think.

I got stung by a hornet a year ago and spent 3 days in the hospital with a tube in me. Never had a problem before that day but I stopped breathing while on the phone with 911 that day. The paramedic and local police found me out on the floor! You just never know! I use to have bee hives, 7 of them, and never had a problem with getting stung. I know a bee and a hornets venom is different but you never know what is going to happen. Less than 5 minutes and I was technically dead! Let me tell you it is one scary felling!

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #22
NELA

**Of course ** the original post was regarding a human dose injected into a dog. This was the tragic result of a person who obviously loved their dog and thru panic, did the wrong thing.

We carry this for our boys: Amazon.com: Pet First Aid Kit, Large - 50 Pieces: Pet Supplies

I also advise carrying a small bottle of peroxide. This will induce vomiting if your dog has eaten or swallowed something dangerous.

PLEASE check with your vet regarding when to induce vomiting and when NOT to induce vomiting.

And yes, we also stock a bottle of children's Benadryl. One of the links on the other thread "human meds safe for dogs" will give the correct dosage, per pound, for your dog.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #23
NELA

A HUGE pet peeve of mine is when previous *rude* campers drop and leave cigarette butts around the camp site. Young dogs, like our Cooper, are naturally curious about *everything* and these butts can be dangerous if ingested.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
A HUGE pet peeve of mine is when previous *rude* campers drop and leave cigarette butts around the camp site. Young dogs, like our Cooper, are naturally curious about *everything* and these butts can be dangerous if ingested.
I only need 20 acres as long as they are clear!

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #25

Veterinarian here with my 2 cents ....

Get to know your vet & let them know your travel habits... my clients are usually properly prepared for most emergencies & their pets are properly vaccinated & protected against internal & external parasites (lots of new great products available ...some not so great). A good veterinarian is happy to spend a few minutes to make sure your pet stays safe (& Benadryl is not usually the answer....)

That being said ...in the past 10 years I have prescribed an epi pen for only one single dog that tried to drop dead 5 minutes after ingesting a wasp .... that battle required tremendous aggressive medical care including the use of IV epinephrine as just one of the multitude of drugs used that day. The owner is aware that if the epi pen is needed so is aggressive vet care ASAP.

Amazing that when I camp I am aware of where the emergency vet hospitals are before the human ones ;-)

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote