Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #1

Choose wisely: Roadside assistance when traveling with pets

So we are now trying to decide on our third carrier for roadside assistance after the past weekend.

Latest debacle involved the TV needing to be towed for service (or home for a bit more) while traveling .... only problem .... tow truck would not allow us to bring our 2 dogs, claiming no room (we said they could travel on our laps ... it was still a no go).

Anyone out there had to have their TV / TT towed & travel with pets? We need to make a switch .....

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

I'm curious. Appears to be only two that will do trailers and if the dogs don't come with me, the vehicle won't either. Besides, my dogs are a bit too large for my lap.
If the truck is being flat towed, not sure why they could not remain in the vehicle with the windows slightly open. If it is the trailer being towed, no problem.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

we had both Progressive & most recently Liberty Mutual to haul TV & TT ... in FL it is illegal to leave your pets in a vehicle unattended .... gotta imagine same issue if on a flat bed

Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Old 08-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #4

Thinking this over this morning, I have a feeling it will be up to the tow truck driver more than the tow insurance company. They all contract to local drivers, don't believe any have their own towing company. Even AAA contracts to local companies for service.

As for dogs in vehicle while on a flat bed truck....

Glad I have no desire to visit FL again, been there done that.

All I could find was "unattended in a parked vehicle with inadequate or no ventilation..."

I would never leave my dogs with no ventilation in a vehicle being towed on a flat bed at around 30-45 mph (depending on the road). Heck I drive around sometimes with them on a 90 degree day with just the windows open, they don't suffer and love to have their heads poking out the back window.

And believe me, I would keep a very close eye on the back where the truck was sitting on the flatbed.

And interesting fact, what I read does not state leaving the AC on is ok...nitpicking yes, but that could include those who leave dogs unattended in a motorhome with the AC running.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
Happy Keystone Owner

Choose wisely: Roadside assistance when traveling with pets

The reason I was given was for those with allergies to animals having to ride in the tow truck afterwards.
I had no problem with putting the "dog" in my truck for the ride back. We then transferred into the driver's personal vehicle, 2 day tow, for the ride to the campground.

Really, I can't understand why anyone would pay any roadside assistant to make a simple phone call that can easily be done yourself.
Google for what you need.

Last year I had to have my Cooper towed to a Chicago area dealer under warranty. My dealer told me to call roadside and they would cover it....the bill was $667.00! Dealer was shocked, too.

The return trip not using roadside was only $120.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #6

We had our Leprechaun towed courtesy of Ford Roadside Assistance. They told us it was up to the tow truck driver. Fortunately, we have 2 small dogs who could ride on our laps. I don't know what would have happened if we had large dogs. I think any dog would freak out riding in a towed vehicle.
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
2016 GTS Sunseeker 2430S

We had our Class B towed by Good Sam in the summer of 2013. Dog sat on lap in backseat of tow truck. It was not very clean, nor very comfortable. I really don't think that any pet dander would have made any difference.

The tow truck driver was very friendly and said that our dog could ride in his truck.
Gizmosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

My Solera had to be towed to the closest Mercedes dealership 165 miles away when the engine blew (thanks to Barber RV's faulty oil change.) It was 9:30 at night when the large tow truck finally arrived. I am a solo female traveling with two big dogs. We had been on the side of the hwy. waiting for many hours. The tow truck driver was very cool and said my dogs and I could lay down and sleep in the back seat of the tow truck if we wanted. Mostly, I held my scared dogs during that trip. They didn't know what the heck was going on. We arrived at the dealership at 1:30 am and camped until they opened up in the morning.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #9

Two years ago we had to have Good Sam tow our TV to a repair shop. Out two dogs, a 10lb poodle and a 50lb brittany, were not allowed in the tow truck. Same reason give as stated in a previous post. Other people being alergic to pet dander. Ours ended up riding in the 5er in their kennels. They weren't happy but they survived.

I believe that was the towing companys policy not Good Sams. I think if you told them about your pets when you call for a tow that they would try to accomodate you.

Happy camping, John
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #10

Liberty mutual policy ... no dogs (no backseat in TV). Not just local contracted issue according to LM

Sorry but with the laws being what they are & my dogs being who they are I will not leave them in the TV on a flatbed while traveling in FL (unless I can stay back there with them?)

So who do we move on to ....

Old 09-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #11

Pets and Tow Trucks

Well over a year ago our Class A needed to be towed down from Mt. Shasta area. We were well up into the grades when our brakes malfunctioned. At the time, we had Good Sam and Geico. Good Sam sent a Semi Tow Truck and we were told on the phone no pets..well, SHIVER ME TIMBERS.. at least 80% of us DO travel with pets!
When they arrived our 2 dogs, one a 80lb Golden, the other a 12 lb Terrier were not allowed to ride in the Motorhome..but, the guy loved pets. We all had to squish into the Cab as there was NO second seat. Golden on my lap, wife next to Tow Truck Driver with Terrier in her lap. I mean SARDINES! It all seemed far more 'unsafe' doing it this way as none of us had even a wiggle room and if someone sneezed, I assure you we all would have been in worse condition. Holding a 80lb Golden in your lap ain't no picnic either. But, he got us down to where we needed to be and we were grateful.

IMHO: We travel with 4 dogs now and a cat. These companies NEED to find a way to make accomadations. Tow Trucks with dual cab for passengers and perhaps Semi's with crates in the enclosed bed area..there are a number of ways to transport folks and their pets in an emergency, just no one has come up with it. Had we had the Grandkids with us, there would have been no way 4 people and 2 dogs would have been towed down.

They could very easily have on call several RV owners that are pet accomadating to assist in tows whereas they secure your pets to your location of repair. Now THAT's a great idea!~
Mac964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel