Old 09-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #11
Pets and Tow Trucks

Well over a year ago our Class A needed to be towed down from Mt. Shasta area. We were well up into the grades when our brakes malfunctioned. At the time, we had Good Sam and Geico. Good Sam sent a Semi Tow Truck and we were told on the phone no pets..well, SHIVER ME TIMBERS.. at least 80% of us DO travel with pets!
When they arrived our 2 dogs, one a 80lb Golden, the other a 12 lb Terrier were not allowed to ride in the Motorhome..but, the guy loved pets. We all had to squish into the Cab as there was NO second seat. Golden on my lap, wife next to Tow Truck Driver with Terrier in her lap. I mean SARDINES! It all seemed far more 'unsafe' doing it this way as none of us had even a wiggle room and if someone sneezed, I assure you we all would have been in worse condition. Holding a 80lb Golden in your lap ain't no picnic either. But, he got us down to where we needed to be and we were grateful.

IMHO: We travel with 4 dogs now and a cat. These companies NEED to find a way to make accomadations. Tow Trucks with dual cab for passengers and perhaps Semi's with crates in the enclosed bed area..there are a number of ways to transport folks and their pets in an emergency, just no one has come up with it. Had we had the Grandkids with us, there would have been no way 4 people and 2 dogs would have been towed down.

They could very easily have on call several RV owners that are pet accomadating to assist in tows whereas they secure your pets to your location of repair. Now THAT's a great idea!~

Mac964 is offline   Reply With Quote