Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

cubby holes for cats

As a newbie, I already learned a big lesson. We tried to introduce our two cats to our new coach the first time with the slide out. I had carefully checked everywhere for a place they could get into and couldn't find any. Well. The next time I brought them there the slide was closed. My female tabby promptly inserted herself in a small space next to the bed that ran under the bed to behind the bathroom sink. She stayed there for a day and a half. No amount of coaxing could get her out. We literally had to dismantle the wooden platform under the bed, the wooden platform under the dinette and finally got her out. It took 3 people. Figures she'd find the ONE place we couldn't get her!!

kluglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #2

I am glad you shared this! We just did a trip with our 3 cats, but let them out after the slides were out.....I will now have to check with the slides in and see if there are any crazy places they can get to!
Thanks!!!
Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #3

The only thing right now from holding us back from going on a trip longer than 1 week is our outdoor cat. He will come in the house, but he prefers to be outside. He is 11 years old, so I'm thinking we need to make him an indoor cat. No telling how he would act in the TT.
Jammer3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #4

Our cat hides underneath the sofa. The sofa has a large storage drawer that pulls out and if you pull out the drawer, you can often find him asleep in there. He goes in from the back side of the couch. The first time it happened, we were sure he had escaped, never to be found again. But we looked and looked and there he was.
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

We have 2 cats currently ...and old one and a young one.
Odd thing is we were certain the first time in the RV the old one was unhappy and young one was fine. We did this at the house to get them used to it. Next night we actually stayed in the RV...again old one unhappy young one fine.

Next day we take our first trip in the RV for a 4 day weekend. Old one was fine even when driving...young one hid in the back by the bed. When we arrived both were fine with the RV. On the trip home young one was a little better in motion ... old one was fine.

In about 3 weeks we will do our second 4 day weekend excursion. Will be interesting to see how they behave. Other than hiding under tha dash it appears the FR3 25DS doesnt have any cubby holes for them.

There is no predicting them. ( we had calming spray and kitty prozac for the older one...needed both...he did great)
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburns4147 View Post
Our cat hides underneath the sofa. The sofa has a large storage drawer that pulls out and if you pull out the drawer, you can often find him asleep in there. He goes in from the back side of the couch. The first time it happened, we were sure he had escaped, never to be found again. But we looked and looked and there he was.
Thats what I worry about, if and when he goes with us. I think I better start preparing him to be an indoor cat, and then move to the Trailer.
Jammer3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #7

We've been on 3 trips (of 3 taken!) in our new MH with our 3 cats. So far what I have learned.

They hate their carriers, and act crazy anytime the coach is in motion, meowing and carrying on.
If I take them out of the carriers, and put their leash and harnesses on, they are much calmer and enjoy trying to walk around. If we only had 1 or 2 cats, this would be much simpler, but of course, they like to hang out in different areas.
the one who is the calmest at home is the big scaredy cat (pun intended!) when the coach is moving, but he is absolutely fine once we are parked.

My next trip, I am buying some big D rings, so I can hook the leash(es) to where they want to hang out, so I'm not having to tie it off (i'm thinking the seatbelts, and perhaps the ladder for the bunks, since they like being there as well) I may need to get some shorter leashes, these are all 6-8 feet currently. Or maybe just tie a knot in them.

I'm hoping this solves the meow chorus that has accompanied our trips so far.....

They are all absolutely fine once we are set up, it's just when the coach is moving they flip out.

Garren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edgar windshield.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	54980  
Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #8

Our new baby ~ Opie ~ is officially a camper cat He is almost 12 weeks old. When we were loading up I was bringing the slide in ~ he was so amazed, totally funny watching him try to figure out what was going on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Opie in a bag.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	54988
Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post
Our new baby ~ Opie ~ is officially a camper cat He is almost 12 weeks old. When we were loading up I was bringing the slide in ~ he was so amazed, totally funny watching him try to figure out what was going on.

Attachment 54988
what a cutie! great name!!!!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post

Attachment 54988
Be VERY careful camping with cats when you have slides on your RV. Last year someone posted a news article about a woman who camped with her cat and the cat managed to get back behind the slider and was crushed when they either extended or retracted it, can't remember which.

Make sure they are IN YOUR SIGHT before operating the slides, since they love hiding places.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #11

No problem here with "Reacher" getting into a cubby hole. He's a Maine Coon and all of 20 pounds. He rides in a large carrier with his litter box. Plenty of room to move around in there. He has free roaming privileges when we are set up but not before. Favorite place to chill... Front windshield where he keeps an eye out for anything he thinks is a problem. When he sees something of note, he calls and we have to look out to see what's he's worried about. What a personality. He's his own man to be sure.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Make sure they are IN YOUR SIGHT before operating the slides, since they love hiding places.
Absolutely!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #13
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
No problem here with "Reacher" getting into a cubby hole. He's a Maine Coon and all of 20 pounds. He rides in a large carrier with his litter box. Plenty of room to move around in there. He has free roaming privileges when we are set up but not before. Favorite place to chill... Front windshield where he keeps an eye out for anything he thinks is a problem. When he sees something of note, he calls and we have to look out to see what's he's worried about. What a personality. He's his own man to be sure.
(chuckle) Reacher, eh? Named after Jack Reacher?

I LOVE those books! I've read every one in the series. HATED Tom Cruise in the movie though. He's way too short and Jack the character is A BIG MAN!

oops, I went way off topic.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #14

Quote:
(chuckle) Reacher, eh? Named after Jack Reacher?

I LOVE those books! I've read every one in the series. HATED Tom Cruise in the movie though. He's way too short and Jack the character is A BIG MAN!

oops, I went way off topic.
Exactly my take. Exactly. Cruise was just wrong for the part. I also read them all, back to back and in order. Someone needs to cuff Lee Child to a keyboard so he can pound out more. Eighteen books (is that the number) are not enough. Need more. Lol

We need T shirts that say, I know Reacher.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #15
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Exactly my take. Exactly. Cruise was just wrong for the part. I also read them all, back to back and in order. Someone needs to cuff Lee Child to a keyboard so he can pound out more. Eighteen books (is that the number) are not enough. Need more. Lol

We need T shirts that say, I know Reacher.

Gary
HAH! I like the way you think! I also think this world could benefit from a few hundred real life Jack Reachers.

Git er done!

I swore no more pets after the two we have now pass on, but dog gone I'd love to name a boxer Reacher. Or I could go totally "wrong" and name a Yorkie Reacher. /snark

You see what ya did, don't ya? You named a Main Coon cat Reacher and he's takin' on the correct personality to go with it.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
(chuckle)...I LOVE those books! I've read every one in the series. HATED Tom Cruise in the movie though. He's way too short and Jack the character is A BIG MAN!...
X2 Cruise was horrible. 6'5" 250# to 5'5" 140#. Gimme a break. I've read all his books also.

Try David Baldacci's series.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #17
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
X2 Cruise was horrible. 6'5" 250# to 5'5" 140#. Gimme a break. I've read all his books also.

Try David Baldacci's series.
Now see? I *knew* there was a reason I like you OC!

I've read some of Baldacci's books. Right now I'm reading a series about a game warden in Wyoming, they're INTENSE! Also includes a character similar to Reacher. Author is C.J. Box.

Check out Greg Iles. He writes about crime in Natchez, Jackson, Vicksburg, MS. Easy for me to connect with the locations. Just finished his newest: Natchez Burning

Dang, I'm gonna get zapped for being OT, so....how's that kitty cat Reacher doin' this mornin'?

Tags
cat