Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #21

We tried taking Abby on 4 different trips. On site she did great! Going and coming, not so much. We would definitely have to sedate her when going on longer trips.
Sg6923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #22

Yup we do, usually when winter camping though. The cat seems to LOVE winter camping for some reason. We put her litter in the tub of our TT. Not sure where we will put it in the 5'r.
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #23

We take our two cats with us. One of them travels well, but the other one gets car sick for the first two or three days of each trip. The vet suggested a dose of children's Benedryl. I haven't tried that yet.

One concern that we had was the cats overheating when we are off for a day of hiking. I constructed a screened room that hangs from a window. The adjustable supports are paint roller poles. The two brown brackets are to fasten it onto a bumper mounted carrier when we travel.

I was not sure that after all the work, these perverse critters would use it, but they love it.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	27698  
Attached Images

Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #24

Mine is an old cat and tends to miss the litter box so the fur ball stays home and gets attended to daily by a neighbor. Anyone want a cat?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #25

Joel, that is very nice! Here is what we have prepared for when we start to use the motor home.

It is one of the crates that will be inside the RV. When we park, it will be moved outside and attached to the window with airplane wires and hooks that my husband has installed. We will put one on each side of the RV.

We will be traveling with eight cats so this will be tricky.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG1973.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	27710  
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Mom View Post
Joel, that is very nice! Here is what we have prepared for when we start to use the motor home.

It is one of the crates that will be inside the RV. When we park, it will be moved outside and attached to the window with airplane wires and hooks that my husband has installed. We will put one on each side of the RV.

Traveling with eight cats - you surely will have your hands full. Good Luck.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #27

I love the "man with cocktail & cat" photo!
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #28

We are attempting to work Miss Snickers slowly into camping. I've been placing a harness on her from time to time and taking her out to the camper to let her sniff around and get used to it Like the outdoor "rooms".
Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamentt View Post
We were considering taking our cat with us on our next trip. We got a small litter box, cage for outside and a leash.

Has anyone have a good setup for cats? If so could you tell me what I may be missing. Is it feasible to take a cat with you camping?
We take ours, they are fussy at first, this was our 3rd trip, this last one was much better, I am going to try the Benadryl for my Gracie, she hates the noise of driving, we put the litter box under the sink it works very well. They enjoy it once were set up and camping!
Lorigirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #30

Quote:

Love it!!
Lori
Old 05-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #31

Quote:

We are going to try camping with five cats. Two are special needs cats, so leaving them behind means having a vet or vet tech to house sit. We're hoping it will be easier to take them along with us. Do you allow the cats the run of the trailer while you are enroute? We're not sure if we should crate and place them inside the tow vehicle or if they will be happier inside the trailer.
happytrailswithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #32

Our two ride loose in the tow vehicle. So far, that has never caused a problem.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #33
Love My Sunseeker

My cat hates traveling in the RV. Once we are parked he is fine. The first few years we went RV'ing, I had poop, piddle, or barf problems even though I tried to stop every couple of hours to give it a break. Now, I only get poop, piddle, or barf if I'm driving on a very winding road. I try to avoid those. My cat travels in a crate. I went to a LIFE ON WHEELS seminar (back when they had those, the guy that did those has since died...) and the pet seminar said PETS SHOULD RIDE CRATED, NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS!

The first trip I ever took in 2004, I let my cat run around, and it came up and sat on my lap with one paw on my arm. Well, I was driving on a skinny mountain road, one arm on the steering wheel, one arm holding the cat, and I was scared! After that, my cat just climbed in the bed and hid under the covers. Then, after the Life on Wheels seminar, I made him ride in a crate.

I have two crates. One is larger, more for a poodle dog. That's the RV crate. Cat can stand up and turn around in it. Cat reluctantly goes in there. The other crate is smaller and is for a cat. That's the dreaded VETERINARY crate. Cat knows the difference. When vet crate comes out, cat is SPREAD EAGLE PAWS I'M NOT GOING IN THERE!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #34

My wife and I own a Grand Villa which is 90 miles from our home in a seasonal campground. We have been camping out there for 28 years. 4 campers and numerous pets later, We go every weekend with three dogs. They are part of your family and every effort should be made to accommodate their travel with you. Providing they are good travelers. Some pets are not. But once you get to your destination, It is only a matter of time until they become used to the surroundings. Good luck.
hotshott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
My cat hates traveling in the RV. Once we are parked he is fine. The first few years we went RV'ing, I had poop, piddle, or barf problems even though I tried to stop every couple of hours to give it a break. Now, I only get poop, piddle, or barf if I'm driving on a very winding road. I try to avoid those. My cat travels in a crate. I went to a LIFE ON WHEELS seminar (back when they had those, the guy that did those has since died...) and the pet seminar said PETS SHOULD RIDE CRATED, NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS!

The first trip I ever took in 2004, I let my cat run around, and it came up and sat on my lap with one paw on my arm. Well, I was driving on a skinny mountain road, one arm on the steering wheel, one arm holding the cat, and I was scared! After that, my cat just climbed in the bed and hid under the covers. Then, after the Life on Wheels seminar, I made him ride in a crate.

I have two crates. One is larger, more for a poodle dog. That's the RV crate. Cat can stand up and turn around in it. Cat reluctantly goes in there. The other crate is smaller and is for a cat. That's the dreaded VETERINARY crate. Cat knows the difference. When vet crate comes out, cat is SPREAD EAGLE PAWS I'M NOT GOING IN THERE!
I agree, crate them, it's better for everyone! I have one that sleeps, one that fusses until we stop, and one does a little of both. I'm going to try some baby Benadryl to see if it helps Gracie. I'll calculate by wt the dose.
Lori
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post

Who says cats are dumb! Dog are like Oh Boy! A walk and a car ride! Sweet!
Pawpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #37
Columbus 302 rs

We are full timers with a fifth wheel. When traveling the cat is in a crate in the back seat. We also have a net to hang between the front and back so we can let him gain access to water and litter pan on the floor in the back. Crate is softsided and folds down flat when not in use.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #38

We have taken our 3 Burmese in a 25 ft Mini lite to Newfoundland, California and last year to Alaska. We travel in an f150 putting the cats behind us stacked in their cages. After 120 min or so we have a washroom walk around break where We can also stretch. They love being with us. Pets can be taken off leash by eagles..bear...cougar ex... If untended.

We did leave them back with family but when we returned after 2 months they rolled around the corner as butterballs...too much love... So we like to have them with us.

They enjoy watching wildlife out the trailer windows and they compete for the tv stand in the bedroom. If we open a cupboard we could find a Burmese in there checking it out.
eelslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #39

Yep, take our cat everywhere, from Delaware to Key Largo to Austin TX to any place we want to go. She loves to travel, but will not go out doors, if I go out and say, come on out, she looks at me as if to say, do I look stupid, and hops on the bed for a nap. She will look out of the windows, but that's as much of the outdoor thing she wants.
She was a starved and pitiful cat when I found her, I think she remembers being out in the cold and starving, that's why she wants to stay inside.
hcondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #40

We take "Duke" the rescue CH cat with us everywhere. He is a registered ADA emotional support critter and part of the family.
I installed a pet flap under the bed for his litterbox. If he can't be found, he is in the potty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2218.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	97585  
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote