Old 07-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #41
NELA

You are SO right wmtire.

Never say your child won't lie.
Never say your horse won't kick.
Never say your dog won't bite.

Under the right circumstances everyone of 'em will make a liar out of you.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #42

I understand the rational behind the size/breed rules. While a small dog is just as likely to attack a person a large dog is more likely to really hurt someone if they do attack. The same reasoning is why you only see certain dog breeds on the evening news. A Miniature Poodle doesn't inflict the same amount of damage a German Shepard would. Also many of the breeds in question have other negative connotations besides attacking people. Frequently they are associated with gangs and other less than reputable people and this adds to the breed fear factor.

When I was a teenager we had a Miniature Dachshund that you could not let near small children under any circumstances. His personality was such that he would attack them. On the other hand my German Shepard had no problems with children or adults. The dogs were raised by the same people and lived in the same house. This has always led me to believe the dog's personality is in play as much as how they are raised.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #43
boatman

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1404679171.511084.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	707.2 KB
ID:	57310what about these guys they both weight well over 40lbs if someone does not want to camp next to me that's their problem I don't wish to camp next to noise yippy little dogs or noise rowdy kids but I don't have the right to tell them they can't be there .

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #44
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Attachment 57310what about these guys they both weight well over 40lbs if someone does not want to camp next to me that's their problem I don't wish to camp next to noise yippy little dogs or noise rowdy kids but I don't have the right to tell them they can't be there .

But the property owner does, boatman.

And FTR, I never said anyone can't camp anywhere with any breed of dog. I simply said I have no desire to camp next to someone with a pit bull.

And dogs are like kids, they all look sweet and innocent while they're asleep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fred sofa pillow.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	57313  

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #45
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Weezer...typical "breed profiling".....What makes you think my 90lb. pit bull is not as gentle spirited as your doxy???
STATISTICS,very well documented.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #46
boatman

Pit bulls are no different it used to be German shepards everyone was afraid of then Dobermans then chows who knows maybe Doxi's will be concidered mean next

Old 07-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #47
Site Team

I have been around all types of dogs my whole life. I studied animal science at VA tech for a year and a half. I worked for a small animal vet for a couple years. I really hate dog prejudice. Especially when the problem is not usually the dog. The problem is typically an owner who either does not know Any better or doesn't care to know better. Any dog (regardless of size or breed) has the potential to be sweet and easy going or vicious and dangerous. Dogs also respond to the behavior of those around them. A dog is far more likely to act out against someone who is fearful or aggressive to the dog than to someone who exhibits a confident (but not cruel or aggressive) demeanor.

To answer the question of how pit bulls began, they originated as a hunting dog for larger game. Labs are a hunting dog and a larger dog, they are also considered the number one family dog. Are you afraid of a lab because they can weigh 70-120 lbs and were bred to hunt? For most, the answer is no.

I have said it before and will say it again, the breed prejudice is akin to racial prejudice. Just because a person is one race or another does not mean they will behave a certain way. People behave how they were raised to behave in addition to how their personality influences them. The same is true for dogs and any other animal out there. Pits get a bad rep because people have trained these dogs to do bad things.

Do you know pits, Rottweiler and shepherds are used as some types of therapy dogs because if the ability to train these dogs for a specific purpose. Do you know that pits can be as small as 25 lbs? Do you know that small breed dogs are just as likely to bite as large breed dogs? Do you know that small breed dogs tend to have more noise violation complaints against them? Again, small dogs, the issue usually revolves around the owner and not the dog.

The campground and apartment breed restrictions actually tend to come from insurance companies that make insurance more expensive or impossible for these places to get if they allow these breeds. I respect your right to not like having a dog next door but I expect you to respect my right to have my dog there as long as the rules allow me to be there and I follow the rules with my dog. I expect every dog owner to follow those same rules. I also try to train my dogs to be quiet and nonintrusive. My current rescue (a boxer/American bulldog/ beagle cross that weighs 60 lbs) is still in training but will absolutely be expected to behave like a doggie ambassador.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #48

I don't know you. I don't know your dog. You can't get your feelings hurt because I don't want your large dog around me because of the potential I know it can unleash.

While I'm a fan of Cesar Milan, and my wife trains dogs, that "There are no bad dogs" bit is a false statement. Every dog on the planet can attack. Under the right circumstances they will attack. What are those circumstances? Nobody actually knows. There's the obvious, but there's unknowns such as the family German shepherd that killed the toddler that startled it.

You can't trust dogs. Period. Even the family pet could turn on you. Teacup to a giant.

And I type this as I sit next to a 100lb Great Dane, don't call me prejudiced.

So, if a cg doesn't allow certain breeds or sizes, that's their business.

Obey leash laws, respect campground rules, respect your neighbors that don't want your dog running loose.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #49
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
You are SO right wmtire.

Never say your child won't lie.
Never say your horse won't kick.
Never say your dog won't bite.

Under the right circumstances everyone of 'em will make a liar out of you.
AMEN to that Weezer and wmtire.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #50
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
... I have said it before and will say it again, the breed prejudice is akin to racial prejudice. Just because a person is one race or another does not mean they will behave a certain way. People behave how they were raised to behave in addition to how their personality influences them. The same is true for dogs and any other animal out there. Pits get a bad rep because people have trained these dogs to do bad things...
And no one knows how the dogs were trained when they are in a campground.

People and dogs also behave based on previous experiences and others have no idea of how or what the person or dog has experienced.

Tags
mpg