Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #81

I have a well behaved tiger, she's super sweet and wouldn't hurt a flea. Most campers love taking pictures with her. Jk folks
Old 07-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #82
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Our travelling companions usually don't cause any problems 'cause they're such good nappers.

2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

as stated above, rules are rules. While I don't agree with them (I will leave it as that to stay back on topic and not beat a dead horse), it is their campground and their policy so they should be respected while you are on their property. if you had a dog where the breeding could be questioned as not being one of the dogs on the list I might suggest trying it (ie dog is a Shepard lab mix, doesn't look like a Shepard and vet records say lab mix). problem is when a dog looks their breed (ie the above mentioned rottie) then it is a blatant violation and can get you get out. I would personally bypass and go to a campground that has a more open dog policy.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #84

One of my favorite sights is large dog breed on leash being walked by child, half the dog's weight. No parents in picture.

We walk our two little guys in public almost daily. We have also observed that the larger the dog, the less likely the owner is to clean-up after and to use a leash.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #85
NELA

We have also observed that the larger the dog, the less likely the owner is to clean-up after and to use a leash.

X eleventy

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
One of my favorite sights is large dog breed on leash being walked by child, half the dog's weight. No parents in picture.

We walk our two little guys in public almost daily. We have also observed that the larger the dog, the less likely the owner is to clean-up after and to use a leash.
I agree that a small child walking a dog (large or small ) without a parent is a horrible idea.

I have to say, I usually see just as many piles of small dog poop not picked up as I do large dog poop. And yes, I walk my dog on a leash. I keep a bag dispenser on my leash and extra bags in the rig at all times. I do not let my 7 yr old 42 lb dd walk my 60 lb year old dog unless my hand is on that leash as well. Sadly for all of us it is not the responsible dog owners that get us into these predicaments and debates.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #87

Dog Breed Restrictions at Campgrounds

Dogs so many times are a result of their owners and environment. I have a male lab pit that is a 3 year old. So much lab and excitement in him. He even bows down to our yorkie. Never a mean bone in him. I take that as a compliment to how he was raised. So many have been raised badly or just have something in their personal nature and they have issues. Unfortunately you have or error in the side of caution though with a dog you do not know.

Sent from my iPad 6 using Forest River Forums
Old 07-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
corkybird,

Your question seems to indicate you'd risk sneaking a dog in that is prohibited? I'd hate to arrive at a park site, go thru all the contortions of getting all set up, just to be evicted once someone finds out we have a dog that is not allowed, especially at night.

That can and *does* happen. Sometimes it's not even a dog specifically prohibited, but rather because of its lack of training and/or behavior. I saw that happen in Pigeon Forge, as I stated up-thread.

They're rules, not suggestions. Always call ahead if you have a pet you "think" might be a problem.

(chuckle) sneaking Fred in isn't an option....he's always standing with his paws on the truck door's arm rest....SO excited to be there!

Thank you very much for the input, we will not be going to a KOA.

We Have These Moments to Remember...

corkybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post

I usually have the biggest dog at the campground. 180lbs of a lapdog. I immediately pick up after my pup.

I think your statement would be better if it said "The more likely someone doesn't pick up after thier dog, the more of a stupid a**hole they are." Make a more sense to me.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #90
NELA

I bought a really handy little "doggie bag" dispenser for Fred. It's shaped like a fat bone (about 3" in length) and holds a roll of small sized bags inside, with a handy snap hook so you can attach it to the dog's leash. Got it at PetSmart, IIRC.

NO excuse to not pick up after your pets, especially since most RV parks that I've been to have bag dispensers (free bags...come on!) near the dog play areas.

Gotta love it when other campers let their dogs mosey on over into your site space to pee and poop.

Seriously?
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #91

A few weeks back we were walking our two little guys on a park trail. We crossed paths with two sets of people that were a quarter mile apart but headed in the same direction (opposite direction as us). Each group had an unleashed, large dog and the dogs were running ahead of the owners as most unleashed dogs seem to do. As each group passed us, we picked our little guys up when we spotted their dog. It was clear to us that the second set of people were walking at a faster pace then the first set. In a few minutes we heard the eruption. Their un-leashed dogs had found each other and at least one of the dogs did not appreciate the other. Hope the dogs were not hurt and a lesson was learned by the owners but I have doubts.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:28 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I bought a really handy little "doggie bag" dispenser for Fred. It's shaped like a fat bone (about 3" in length) and holds a roll of small sized bags inside, with a handy snap hook so you can attach it to the dog's leash. Got it at PetSmart, IIRC.

NO excuse to not pick up after your pets, especially since most RV parks that I've been to have bag dispensers (free bags...come on!) near the dog play areas.

Gotta love it when other campers let their dogs mosey on over into your site space to pee and poop.

Seriously?

Gotta agree with you on this one. It is really not hard to pick up after a dog. Oh and if you don't like the bone, we got a decent fire hydrant one from target. These attachments are cheap and easy to use. Bags are pretty much universal for these things. And yes, use a free bag or even use an old plastic grocery bag if you ran out of doggie bags.

Here are the pet rules for the campground we are taking our sabres maiden voyage to next weekend. "Pets must be on a leash while outside the camper/tent and attended at all times. Anyone walking a pet must have someting in their possession to clean up after their pet. $25.00 fine if caught not picking up after your pet and/or asked to leave!!! A continually barking dog will not be tolerated." To me these are a welcome and very reasonable set of rules/restrictions. I applaud the owners for this.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Gotta agree with you on this one. It is really not hard to pick up after a dog. Oh and if you don't like the bone, we got a decent fire hydrant one from target. These attachments are cheap and easy to use. Bags are pretty much universal for these things. And yes, use a free bag or even use an old plastic grocery bag if you ran out of doggie bags.

Here are the pet rules for the campground we are taking our sabres maiden voyage to next weekend. "Pets must be on a leash while outside the camper/tent and attended at all times. Anyone walking a pet must have someting in their possession to clean up after their pet. $25.00 fine if caught not picking up after your pet and/or asked to leave!!! A continually barking dog will not be tolerated." To me these are a welcome and very reasonable set of rules/restrictions. I applaud the owners for this.
The campground we are headed to today has instituted a $100 fine if caught not picking up after your pet. Rules posted everywhere. They also have many well stocked dogie bag stations. So no excuses that you forgot the bag....The fine goes to animal charities of their area. They have nearly 500 employees in the summer months so............. It will be interesting to see how this works out

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #94

Dogs that bark continuously are a nuisance regardless of size or breed!
Old 07-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
The campground we are headed to today has instituted a $100 fine if caught not picking up after your pet. Rules posted everywhere. They also have many well stocked dogie bag stations. So no excuses that you forgot the bag....The fine goes to animal charities of their area. They have nearly 500 employees in the summer months so............. It will be interesting to see how this works out

I agree about pet rules just as I agree about the human one too, like quite hours, number people per site, drinking in public areas, and so on. As far as restricting certain breeds it is the owners responsibility to determine if a dog can deal with the public. It will be the owner that gets sued if something happens. I deal with this almost everyday in my job and I truly believe it is not the breed but the owners. I have seen many mean wiener dogs.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #96
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taybrynn View Post
Dogs that bark continuously are a nuisance regardless of size or breed!
X eleventy on that! I cannot abide a yapper!

Our Fred is too lazy to bark. Heck if he's outside and decides he wants back in he'll "woof" *once* at the back door and that's IT.

Sneak calls him a four legged commercial for Valium.

I think we *finally* figured out his breeding; half doxy half Pomeranian....Dachseranian? Pomshund? Regardless...he's 22 lbs. of rotten!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fred grass.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	58484  

Old 07-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #97

I read an article on The Blaze I think that said soon all dogs were going to be "outlawed" from State Parks and National Parks/Forest. Because of the liabilities the campgrounds are experiencing.

If that happens then all campgrounds are soon to follow.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 07-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I read an article on The Blaze I think that said soon all dogs were going to be "outlawed" from State Parks and National Parks/Forest. Because of the liabilities the campgrounds are experiencing.

If that happens then all campgrounds are soon to follow.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
I am sure not all Parks will outlaw dogs. And the ones that don't have restrictions will be packed. All the campgrounds we go to I would say 90 percent of the people have dogs. That is the great thing about camping you can bring your dogs, kids, and other family members. I still don't see how it is a liability for the campground to allow dogs. When you camp you are renting a space. If you somehow damage someone elses property you have the liability not the campground. It is no different if your dog bites someone. As far as noise then kids should be banned, no more diesel engines in campgrounds, no more laughing around the camp fire. None of which I have ever been irradiated by. I just realized I am not ready for the retirement home. I love people and dogs and the sound s they make.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #99

Thank you for the head's up. Didn't know this. I will avoid KOA campgrounds at all costs because of their breed restrictions. Even if I had two sweet, quiet beagles I wouldn't stay in one. They won't get a dime from me.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #100
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is our normal parks pet policy ,,.........................Owners must clean up after their pets. Pets must be on a leash at all times. Pets are not allowed in restrooms, pool, pavilio n or
beach areas. Do not leave pets unattended. Excessive barking of dogs may result in a request to remove dog from the facility. You
must have proof of rabies vaccinations upon arrival to the resort.
Excluded Dogs: Chow, Doberman, Pit Bull Terrier, Rottweiler, Akita, Mastiff, German Shepherd, Presa Canario, Wolf, Wolf Hybrids,
Huskies, Dalmatians, Airedales, Great Danes, Staffordshire Terriers, Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies and any dog that is a mixture
of these breeds are not allowed. Any dog with a history of biting will not be acceptable.
**Excluded Dogs will be allowed providing owner carries a $300,000.00 liability insurance policy. Any dog with a history of biting
will not be acceptable.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg