Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #1

Dog Breed Restrictions at Campgrounds

Our family has two dogs who love to go camping with us. One is an 8 pound Chihuahua named Cujo, and the other is a 110 pound Rottweiler named Bella.

They are both well-mannered, leash trained, well-behaved and trained dogs. They are house pets. Cujo can be much more vocal about things than Bella, but that's common for the breed. Cujo is the "alarm" dog and Bella is the "backup".

Yes, we understand that Bella can appear intimidating by her sheer size and because her breed has a bad reputation. We also understand that there are no bad dogs, but bad owners.

We've found that KOA has breed restrictions in place, and we are unable to camp at any KOA with her. We've run into a few other places that won't allow her because of her breed. We were fortunate that one place we arrived at had a breed restriction, but when the owner met Bella he agreed to allow her to stay. (I think it was because she licked his face and used her magic to persuade him.)

Does anyone know of a site with a list of campgrounds that accept pets or have breed restrictions? Or perhaps we could start one here on this site?

Meet Cujo:

And this is Bella:

GaryOverfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This has been going on for some time now. Unfortunate, but true. I did a quick search and found this for you...

Pet Friendly Campgrounds Worldwide
And
Pet Friendly Campgrounds | Dogs Allowed Campgrounds | Pet Friendly Travel

This one has a variety of useful links... RVing with Pets - Pet Travel Links

Great looking dogs you've got there

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #3

I’m unaware of any dog breed restriction at KOA campgrounds. They do have a policy that owners of ANY BREED that demonstrates hostile or aggressive behavior will be asked to leave the campground. They also require that dogs be kept on a lease no longer than 6 feet and not leave a tethered dog unattended.
Individual KOA campgrounds may have a more restrictive policy and it’s always best to call ahead. I don’t consider a dog that barks at me aggressive, however I do consider barking and lunging as aggressive and hostile behavior.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #4

Bella

We have the same situation with Juno. 70lb Pit Bull that will lick you and any baby or kid till they cant giggle any more. At check in Juno is always a Lab mix. What a nice dog you have!!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

Sad that all must pay for the irresponsibility of a few.

This happened near here in February of this year.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...VMmVQVNsCPVjKw

I doubt the owners of this place will allow any dogs like this one to stay because this one owner was negligent in controlling his dog.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #6

Oakman, we've been turned down by every KOA we've contacted on the east coast.
We were told it was a "corporate policy" and that the individual campgrounds cannot override the corporate policy by more than one KOA we've contacted.

The KOA site also says this: "Before You Go:
Call ahead. Check with the campground about its specific pet policies. Some don't allow pets in Cabins, for example, or may have limited pet units. Others don't accept particular breeds that insurance providers have identified as having a history of aggression. "

After being turned down, and told at an RV show by the KOA representative there that KOA has a specific corporate policy to not allow Rottweilers and Pits, we stopped even considering them.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #7

I don't think it's so much the campgrounds as the Insurance companies that the campgrounds use.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #8

I'm sure it is, Wiscampsin.
It's just frustrating.

To be honest, I think my little dog might be more likely to be snippy than the big dog. The big dog is very submissive and gentle. The little dog is very assertive and cocky.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I don't think it's so much the campgrounds as the Insurance companies that the campgrounds use.
BINGO!
Amazing the power the insurance carrier has!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Sad that all must pay for the irresponsibility of a few.

This happened near here in February of this year.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...VMmVQVNsCPVjKw

I doubt the owners of this place will allow any dogs like this one to stay because this one owner was negligent in controlling his dog.
How awful for that child.

I was attacked by a very large black dog when I was about 10 years old.
He had me down by the throat on the ground. It took two grown men to get him off me. I was one scared little girl, and can be easily intimidated by dogs I do not know who are large ... 50 years later.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #11

We have an occasional question about our Boxer Mix a lot of people think she is a Pit Bull mix but her companion is pure Boxer & the interest usually goes to her as she is the class clown.........

But as other have said insurance Companies drive the requirements.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beach2013 093.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	49199  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:18 AM   #12

We've taken our pit mix to a KOA here in PA. I've listed her as a pit-boxer mix, and haven't had a problem. Like others have said, she would lick you to death before anything else. She has been through "doggy boot camp" and listens pretty well, but if you have your dog leashed, there should never be any issue, right? As we all know, not everyone follows the rules and everyone else pays the price. Being a bully breed owner is never easy.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
NELA

Taran said:

but if you have your dog leashed, there should never be any issue, right?

X ELEVENTY!

And when campers don't follow the rules it matters not *what* the breed is. We've had two encounters here already.
1. I'm bent over hammering our site sign into the dirt and see a shadow, raise my head to find I'm eye to eye with an Australian Shepherd with his hackles up. Our dog, Fred, is on a cable behind me, and I have a hammer in my hand. I yell for DH, he comes tearing out of the RV and picks Fred up (about 20 lbs worth). Two spaces down another large dog, off the leash, and three 20 something young men are there in a car, no tent in sight but they claim they'll be tent camping. The other large dog comes running and I'm yelling for them to "GITYURDOGSUNDERCONTROL"!

"aw they're just babies, they'll run away before they'll fight"

Then you need to tell that to your damn dogs who have their hackles up and are challenging me trying to get past me to my dog!

FTR I'd have brained both of them with that hammer before I'd let 'em get to my dog. That's just a fact.

2. Taking Fred for a walk and here comes a male minpin, who's dead set on getting a piece of Fred. I look over to the site on my right and there's a German Shepherd coming. Both dogs belonged to the people in that site. Same story; I'm yelling at them and they're claiming "aw they won't fight or bite".

I walked straight over to the camp host and reported the second situation. OK, so he talks to them. 30 minutes later those same dogs went after the people in the site next to us and their tiny little poodle, which was on her leash.

I *will* tell the camp host and the people at the gate we will NOT be back here, and one reason is that they won't enforce the rules regarding dogs. I'll also be writing a letter to the LA State Parks department.

We adhere strictly to the leash rule with Fred, (don't leave him leashed outside without us either) but when others don't it endangers OUR dog even more when he's leashed up.

I guarandangtee you if Fred had whupped that minpin's butt, or if I'd used my hammer on the first two, they'd have expected US to cover the vet bills. Not a snowball's chance. Fred is NOT aggressive, but if challenged he WILL protect "his people".

Can ya tell I *DETEST* irresponsible dog owners and folks who think rules are for others, not them?

While I believe there are dog breeds more aggressive than others, it all boils down to the owners.

FTR, and I'm just sayin', a toddler was killed, and her Mom ended up in the hospital just south of where we live last week, by a pit.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
You hit the nail on the head
Old 04-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #15

Unfortunately, dogs are animals, and like us humans, sometimes make unusual choices. Our 15lb rat terrier, is a great dog, but occasionally, sneaks out the camper door faster than we can grab him. He's nice, and if you reach for him, will probably tinkle in submission, but still likes to bark and jump. I wish we could keep better control and try our best. I've delt with two pit/mixes in my life that were great family dogs, but for whatever reason, decided to protect their owners/just be aggressive, resulting in several injuries to humans and the dogs euthanized. there are plenty of good friends of mine that don't enjoy pets and so we graciously kennel up Baxter when they stop by. I love animals, but firmly believe humans should come first and will always lower my pride in my dogs training when questioned.

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #16

I agreed dogs should be leashed & campers follow the rules we run into a few issues with small dogs off leash coming after our big dogs then the owners just say to them those dogs would make you their lunch......... so why not leash them.......

Sometimes I just wonder about the humans Why would anyone put their face in front of a unknown dogs face & let them lick them..... oh they miss their Boxer............ OK that I understand that, but what if our Boxer see's it as an act of aggression & decides to defend itself??? I would say she would not do that, but who knows. We had it happen two times in a week at the Beach last year. (Different people) Most will come up & ask if it is OK to pet them, but you always have a few......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #17

While this will be unpopular, you have to remember that not everyone knows Bella is a sweet dog. Other campers shouldn't have to be nervous about what your dog might do. We have a Labrador who will lay next to our camper all day long off his leash and not bother a soul, but we understand that there are leash rules in most campgrounds and act accordingly. It isn't whether ol' Sam would hurt anybody, but they have the right to know he is leashed and feel safe.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

We stay 1/2 of our time in FL in a campground that has a 40# limit on all dogs and will not allow anyone to violate the rule. Everyone knows the rules and abides by them. It is a "members/owners only" park.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I agreed dogs should be leashed & campers follow the rules we run into a few issues with small dogs off leash coming after our big dogs then the owners just say to them those dogs would make you their lunch......... so why not leash them.......

We had this happen 2 times the past week. Once my wife was by herself walking our mixed breed when a little fur ball and a little boxer ran up and barked at them until the owners came and got them.

The 2nd time was the same spot while my wife and I walked our mixed breed and our Siberian Husky. My wife hadn't even finished saying "look out this is the camper with the loose dogs" and I shortened up the Husky's leash that the same damn dogs ran up and started nipping at my Husky. The little fur ball got to see the inside of a 60lbs Husky's mouth real close up while the owners scrambled to get their dogs again and apologize for their actions. It really upset my wife as we always maintain our dogs in a proper manner... But it's had to say what might happen when a dog like my Husky is provoked and attacked by another animal while he's feeling vulnerable by being restrained and leashed. My Husky is normally a relaxed but he's a people-dog, not a dog-dog if that makes sense and doesn't react well to other dogs trying to be alpha to him.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
Other campers shouldn't have to be nervous about what your dog might do.
I agree with this. Not everyone likes dogs and in fact some a are just down right afraid of them regardless of breed. You need to remember that while you might be looking for a campground that doesn't have restrictions, others might be looking for a campground that does. I have always had large dogs (my last was an 80lb. Lab.) While he was obedient, tame and very well tempered around other people, children, dogs, cats, etc. we still have several friends and their children that were down right frightened of him due to his size (most did enjoy him as they were around him more, but we couldn't overcome everyone's fear.)

Actually had one camper next to us move spots once and later the husband of the couple informed me his wife was petrified of dogs (on lead or not ).

It is unfortunate that while most of us obey leash rules and believe our dogs will cause no harm, there are others that ignore them and create problems as well. Had a friend get his dog mauled and had to be taken immediately to a vet (he's fine now) by another dog while camping and the other camper's dog was off lead. That camper was also removed from the campground and not allowed to return.

It is the campgrounds right to enforce there rules to try and make their campground as enjoyable as possible by paying customers, and sometimes this does mean they will restrict certain breeds or size of dogs.

I will say this as a previous large breed owner, one of the best things I ever feel I did with my dog while camping was whenever a child started walking up to pet my dog (without asking which happens a lot) I always told them to have their parents come over first. When/if they returned I always educated both that it was important to always ask the owner first and explained why. Several times I had parents thank me and I hope they continued the education lesson with their children.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg