Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
While this will be unpopular, you have to remember that not everyone knows Bella is a sweet dog. Other campers shouldn't have to be nervous about what your dog might do. We have a Labrador who will lay next to our camper all day long off his leash and not bother a soul, but we understand that there are leash rules in most campgrounds and act accordingly. It isn't whether ol' Sam would hurt anybody, but they have the right to know he is leashed and feel safe.
Not unpopular at all. Bella is a large dog. She likely makes some people nervous. I have friends who are uncomfortable with her, heck one is scared of my Chihuahua. When they visit, the dogs are crated. I agree -- people before pets.

My dogs are either on a leash, in their pen, or inside the trailer. We have a large X-Pen with a crate inside the pen for outside. We have a crate inside the trailer. Bella is voice and hand command trained. We don't tether her, as we don't think that's a good thing for her, and it makes her easy to be teased and confronted by other dogs.

That being said, she is still a dog. She is still going to behave like a dog. I understand that. That's why she's always with us and under our control at all times at a campground. If we're inside, she's inside. Heck, if it's too hot for her, she might be inside and we might be outside. We always try and find a site that has a spot away from the road for her pen. (And why we don't like folks to cut through our campsite ...) We don't allow anyone (other than us) to pet her while she is in her pen -- that is her "safe place". If someone asks to pet her when we're out walking her, she must sit or lay down before they pet her ... depending on the person doing the petting's size. She lays down before little kids pet her.

We make every attempt to be responsible large dog owners. We try to educate children in how to approach a dog before petting it ... about asking permission before petting ANY dog.

I don't want anyone to be afraid of our dog, but I know that people can be.
It makes me sad that our dog's breed has been turned into a breed to be feared. We try to be realistic and respectful. We don't want to take her somewhere she's not welcome.

GaryOverfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #22

When I walk my dog in a campground, or on a hiking trail, I carry a can of Halt. It works, have had to use it twice on extremely nasty dogs advancing toward my dog. (Growling, snarling and off leash.)

In both cases owners were not very happy but in both cases I explained the alternative would have been worse, and when a dog, off leash, comes charging toward me and my dog, growling and snarling, let someone prove the dog was after my dog and not me.

Like I tell people, I like all dogs, but I love only one.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #23
10x

I have a Doberman and have owned Dobermans since childhood. They are one of the most loveable affectionate breed out there. They are banned in some campgrounds because of what Hollywood always depict them as. The same is true for rotties, total BS.

Bella is a pretty girl!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #24

Anchor is a large (180 lb) English Mastiff. While on walks other dogs off the lease try to intimidate him. Doesn't work. One time I had a yellow lab come rushing at him while barking and growling. Anchor heeled up and brought both front paws down in the lab's head, driving his face into the ground. Needless to say the lab tucked tail and ran.

Anchor is almost always leased, however this past weekend we were the only campers in the camp ground. So he wasn't leased, but he never strays from the site. Mainly just eats sticks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397048040211.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	49482  
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #25

I really think it is the dog owners who don't follow the rules who should be banned from the campgrounds. They are the most dangerous breed.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #26

I've had my 50 pound beagle get away from me twice while camping one time he was found at the play ground playing with kids the other time he invited himself to lunch with a family a few sties away. I have had him out in his pen and have had other dog owners come over with there dogs to taunt him
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #27

In my experience (and I have owned dogs), dog owners are quite shocked when their little snookums, the "dog that would lick you into fits of giggles", decides to protect their family. Deep down, all dogs have this hard wired. Some dogs will go their whole lives and never exhibit this behavior, but I believe it's there. Always. And for that reason I'm in favor of leashes 100% of the time your dog is not in your personal fenced yard. My $0.02.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #28
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
In my experience (and I have owned dogs), dog owners are quite shocked when their little snookums, the "dog that would lick you into fits of giggles", decides to protect their family. Deep down, all dogs have this hard wired. Some dogs will go their whole lives and never exhibit this behavior, but I believe it's there. Always. And for that reason I'm in favor of leashes 100% of the time your dog is not in your personal fenced yard. My $0.02.
I agree, but I see no reason to ban certain breeds.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #29

The sheer ignorance of the human race has got to lead to our downfall at some point in the future.
Any place that isn't good enough for my dog...isn't good enough for me and my $$$.

My aunt and uncle are among the backbone of volunteers with the Rottweiller Welfare Association in the UK. They rescue and re-home Rotties that have been neglected, abused, or refused the simple concept of existance in a given area. They currently have 5 Rotties living in their home, everyone rescued from a past I care not to think about, and everyone so friendly and full of love it makes me sick to my stomach to think some people would as easily erradicate their breed from existance as they would step on an ant.

When we adopted our little deaf Molly (a BC Husky mix) from the animal shelter here last fall, we named her after my aunt and uncle's Molly, the 2013 RWA dog of the year. Their Molly has no eyes and a seriously mis-alligned face (I will leave the how to your imagination). She is the sweetest pooch one could ever meet, and weekly is focused on her task of visiting schools, dog shows, and seniors homes to educate the public on Rotties and what they have to offer.

trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #30
Anacortesians

We have two fairly elderly yellow Labradors (both males, both rescued). The bigger one, Angus, only gets riled up if a motorcycle or scooter comes by. He was injured in an accident with a motorcycle when he was much younger and has ever since considered them to be his mortal enemy and he must kill them all.

It's not easy to restrain an 80+ pound energetic dog who is hell-bent on attacking a motorcycle, one reason I'm usually on the other end of the leash. At 5' 9" and 190 lb., I can control him more easily than DW, who's 9" shorter and quite a lot lighter. She's had rotator cuff surgery since we got Angus!

Incidentally, we always call ahead if a CG is on our possible shortlist and has a dog restriction shown in its Good Sam directory listing. We only found one that prohibited all dogs in the four years we've been RVers.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #31
SmokiLady

Breed bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
I agree, but I see no reason to ban certain breeds.
Absolutely. I have had 4 Dobies over the years, and never had a vicious dog. I had one that was high strung and fearful, a few obedience courses took care of that. The one I have now ........if/when I go full time he will be where he is always, on leash, with me. If he's not allowed, I don't go.
HappyAppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyAppy View Post
Absolutely. I have had 4 Dobies over the years, and never had a vicious dog. I had one that was high strung and fearful, a few obedience courses took care of that. The one I have now ........if/when I go full time he will be where he is always, on leash, with me. If he's not allowed, I don't go.
From what I've seen over the years, most bans are based on prior bad experiences and lawsuits. We belong to a campground that has a 40# wt limit. We ask why and was told it was the result of a lawsuit several years back that cost the cg a lot of money.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #33
DDC

All you have to do is take your dog for a walk, even though there are rules in place that they must be on a leash there is always someone who think that it only applies to other people, we've all run into them "the me" crowd, and as OC said all the rules are based on past experience usually negative.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #34
Site Team

All dogs CAN bite and that includes mine or yours.

I am usually very anti-insurance industry, but several online sources have stated they paid out nearly a half-billion dollars in dog bite related claims in the year 2013 alone. That's a half billion dollars (500 million) of claims that I'm sure many of the owners thought would never be caused by their beloved family pet.

That 500 million also accounts for nearly one-third of ALL home owners insurance claims. And everyone knows whose pocket this half billion dollars really comes from.

Dog-Bite Claims Up 5.5%; Insurers Pay Out $483M In 2013 - Top News - InsuranceNewsNet.com

I love my dog as much as anyone, but I won't/can't fault a campground for not allowing certain breeds/sizes (or even having a blanket ban)....especially since the irresponsible owners won't follow the rules and keep their dog on a leash.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #35
boatman

My friend was just bit by a chawaua reached through a chain link fence required a trip to the emergency room, dog had no shots owner has 5 all mean none with shots any dog can bite under the right conditions my dogs or I should not be discriminated against because they weight more than 40lbs or for any other reason

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #36

The real problem are the owners of aggressive dogs ... The same ones who often don't use leashes and feel their dog is safe despite raising it to be aggressive. You can't regulate stupid.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #37
NELA

I've always given this scenario regarding rights: you have the right to swing your fists 24/7, but when one of your fists makes contact with my nose, your right has violated my right.

I have no desire to camp next to an owner who brings his/her pit bull camping with them, especially when I have my 22 lb. gentle spirited long-haired doxy with us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fred hotel parking lot.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	57307   Click image for larger version

Name:	fred hotel room.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	57308  

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #38
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taybrynn View Post
The real problem are the owners of aggressive dogs ... The same ones who often don't use leashes and feel their dog is safe despite raising it to be aggressive. You can't regulate stupid.
X eleventy!

While in Pigeon Forge last year a family came in with an English Bull Dog (the mack truck hood ornament type). Five VERY unruly children as well.

They flat out refused to keep the dog on a leash. He stayed in the creek annoying people trying to fish and jumping on children playing in the water. He ran thru the camp site of an elderly couple, jumped in to the disabled woman's lap, scratched her legs horribly and nearly knocked her chair over.

After being warned twice they were asked to leave.

Oh, and one of their young boys kept riding his bike thru that same elderly couple's site, knocking things over and creating general havoc all over the camp site.

Our Fred is NEVER off leash. We abide by the rules and expect others to do the same. Fred is always on leash not just because of the rules, but for HIS OWN safety. Our dog is dependent on us, just like children. It is OUR job to protect and care for him.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #39

Weezer...typical "breed profiling".....What makes you think my 90lb. pit bull is not as gentle spirited as your doxy???
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #40
NELA

Uhhhh breed? History? Genetics?

I *know* our dog. I don't *know* your dog. But I do know the history behind pit bulls. I do know your dog outweighs mine nearly 5 to 1.

My dog doesn't have the history your dog's breed does.

Answer this: why was the pit bull dog breed created? for what use?

(FTR we're not sure what our dog's thoroughbred is. He's a rescue. We were told he's half poodle half doxy, but I see NO sign of poodle. I think we've narrowed it down to half doxy, half Pomeranian.)

We have friends who own and breed Old English Mastiffs. The sire weighs 200 lbs. I would *never* take our Fred to their house, especially since the dam has a litter of eight 3 week old puppies right now.

I have the right...and responsibility.... to make smart choices when it comes to OUR dog. If you see that as "profiling" your dog, so be it. Our dog's breed has never been restricted from any camp/park.

Tags
mpg