Old 10-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #31
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
Oops sorry Suebee, I screwed up your post. Still getting used to this awesome moderator power.

If I remember correctly, the part I deleted was where Suebee mentioned that she loves great big dogs and enjoy having them run right up to her all snarling and drooling, and she thinks keeping a dog on a leash is just a sin... That about it?
Ha ha! Yea Welshman599, that just about summed up my post!

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as though you'll die tomorrow."
suebee0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:12 AM   #32
We have a little camping Chi. She loves camping and knows when we are going. She's well mannered and a good little companion.

I save my used sandwich zip lock bags and keep in a basket outside to pick up her poop. Just grab one when we go for a walk.

choice spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #33
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Years ago, around seven in the morning at a small campground, I was sitting on my sofa, drinking my first cup of coffee and looking out the front window of my trailer. (My sofa is across the front.) I was idly watching a woman who had her rather large pooch on a long retractable leash and was walking it past the Class C parked across the street from me. The owner’s were outside, cooking breakfast on a Coleman stove. Suddenly the dog started sniffing around and deposited a substantial pile toward the rear of the passenger door. Nothing strange up to this point, such things happen. However. in this case the dog’s owner acted as if nothing had happened and dragged her offending pet back to her motor home, a short way down the road. The body language of the Class C owners was rather obvious, but they kept their cool and did not confront her. I never saw the woman come back to pick up the mess.

The next morning, the trunk of the offender’s toad had doggy doo smeared all over it. It was quite the talk of the campground - and it was said that there was a copy of the campground rules stuck on the car, with a circle around the part about picking up after your pets. Maybe she offended someone with limited impulse control when she took Rover out for his evening patrol.
Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #34

aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #35
The DW and I arrived at the campground on our first trip with the new TT. This was also the first time we brought along "the childrens" (an 8 yo Jack Russell and about the same age Dachshund mix). The DW's job was to guide me into the spot, childrens stayed in the TV with me. Un eventful back in, perfect 1st time. I get out and start my set up. The DW is trying to get the "childrens" on the leash and I can hear the commotion behind the TT as I am setting up. All of a sudden I hear the DW yelling at the Dachshund mix and I see him go under the neighbors TT. The neighbor was going inside and my "young man" slipped in with her. I raced over and started gently knocking on the door to try and retrieve the lad. The door swings open and with great excitement. The neighbor had no idea what kind of animal was in her TT. The lad came to the door and I scooped him up and apologized profusely. We were very lucky that she was understanding. I thought to myself "this sure isn't a good start". We planned and prepared the TT, TV, and our maneuvers but neglected to have a plan for the pets. I do hope the next trip will be without any commotion!
Kirk, KN1B
2013 Cardinal 3800FL
2009 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #36
I've always liked dogs, haven't always owned one though. Last October my wife brought home a little Shih Tzu. He's a year old now and he and I have become pretty good buddies. We haven't camped much this year but have taken him with us a few times, so we are new at this.

The way I see it, he may be the worlds best dog to me but my neighbors see him as another stray heinz 57. If we camp the weekend and no one really noticed that we even had a dog, then I feel we've done it right.

I'll continue to take him with us, he really enjoys it, but if he ever becomes annoying to our campground neighbors, we'll make other arrangements.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #37
One of my pups decided to start barking at any other dog that is being walked pass so we are working on her with that but I love having my dogs with me as much as they love to go camping with us.
11 Mirada 34BH
We travel with two loaded GSD!

San Diego, CA
calebgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #38
Agree with all of the above. A tree at the entrance to someone's site is one thing, but I wouldn't let my dog actually go onto someone else's site for any reason without being invited. With those long retractable leashes, you never know when your dog might run over and spray someone's camping gear, so I try to keep mine along the roadside when we're out walking.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #39
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
The next morning, the trunk of the offender’s toad had doggy doo smeared all over it.
The trunk? Not the front seat?
2011 Georgetown 320DS new June 2010
days camped in 2010: 61
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #40
One of our first trips this year was to a Provincial Park where we watched from a distance while a woman and her kids played with their large (meaning size of a small horse) off the leash. The park rules (like most parks I'd guess) require animals to be on a leash. A half hour later or so the dog bounded into our campsite scattering my 3 young children and chasing them until they were screaming in fear on top of our picnic table. The woman did nothing to stop the dog's charging and growling. I Carried the children inside the camper and told the woman to keep the dog off our campsite and on a leash. She lamely said something like I can't get him on the leash and then something about the leash being broken. Turns out they were camped next to us. An hour later or so the dog was loose again and again chased our children. This time my husband told her sternly to get the dog on a leash. She said something about not being able to catch him. I told her that if she didn't get the dog on a leash immediately I would take care of the problem. Never did she offer one word of apology for her dog terrorizing our small children. She never asked if they were OK.

Sooo... In my humble opinion dogs should be on a leash and out of someone else's campsite.

2011 Georgetown 320DS new June 2010
days camped in 2010: 61
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote