Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #41

If your dog isn't trained well enough to behave definitely a leash
Stagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #42

Dog should be on a leash wether they are trained or not! I had a dog charge our two when ours were on leashes. If the owner wouldn't have come over I would of used my walking stick to correct the problem.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #43

Probably right though I have seen some very well trained dogs
Stagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #44

So how do you handle dogs when you need to leave campsite ,like let's say you are going to the pool, and it is hot outside? Safe to leave them in TT with AC running? Do you crate them and what if they whine for a few mins ?
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greti View Post
So how do you handle dogs when you need to leave campsite ,like let's say you are going to the pool, and it is hot outside? Safe to leave them in TT with AC running? Do you crate them and what if they whine for a few mins ?
I think you want to be careful about leaving your pets in a trailer, even with A/C, for too long on a hot day. And, the hotter the day, the less you want to leave them unsupervised. Your A/C could fail for a number of reasons. Don't be gone too long or come back occasionally to check on things.

Crating is excellent if the dog is already crate trained. If not, you will want to get them used to it while still at home.

If you leave them, tell your camping neighbors where you are and when you will be back and that the dogs are in the camper. Never know when you might be delayed. Leave plenty of water.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #46
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greti View Post
I agree with what Scott has said, and would not rely on the A/C.
Always try and get a campsite that has shade over the trailer, and leave the windows open. Dogs are fine as long as there is a breeze, they have enough fresh water, and the temps inside don't get too hot; but not for a long time.
If it is a really hot day outside, then you might have to change your plans, or maybe, try and find CG's with doggy beaches so you can bring him along to swim too!
Or, you could do your family activities in the early morning/late evening, when it is still cooler out, and spend the hot afternoons lounging at the site, with your dog=]
As for the whining, try this; never make a big deal when you leave him alone. Meaning no good byes, just leave, period. Same goes for when you return, just walk in and act like nothing has happened, wait a bit of time before you give him any attention, then, when he is calm, give him some love =]
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #47

We have a new labrador retriever puppy (8 weeks old). This weekend was his first weekend camping and our first weekend to carry a pet camping. I'm not sure this is something I want to do on a regular basis, but my wife has it in mind that he is going to be a camping dog, so I guess I'll give it a try. One problem we have: I am terribly allergic to dog dander if trapped indoors with it. We can't leave him inside or carry him in our vehicle. He will have to ride in the back of the truck and he will have to stay outdoors at the campsite. My question: How do you train a dog not to bark and keep the neighboring campers awake? Like I said above, keeping him inside the camper is not an option.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
I am terribly allergic to dog dander if trapped indoors with it. keeping him inside the camper is not an option.
I'd suggest giving your puppy a refreshing doggy bath (with conditioner) just before you leave which will lessen the dander. Get yourself some antihistamines so you can deal with the allergic response.

To keep down dander, make some cases for the dog bed (fold an old twin sheet in half and stitch the sides so you have essentially a big pillow case) so you can easily throw the cover in the wash (hot water, hot dryer). Carefully changing the cover every day or so will keep down the dander where he's sleeping. (Dirty covers go in a plastic bag and your spouse may want to do that chore outside).

Honestly though getting a pet to which you are so allergic doesn't sound very practical. Doesn't seem fair to you or to the dog.

The dog is still young and needs lots of love and attention. He's just starting training so you can't leave him alone. Leaving him behind at a kennel so you can go camping sounds like the only way to really enjoy the weekend, but what's the point of having a dog if you board him every time you want to go camping? I understand the "idea" of a camping dog - one who is a great companion on long hikes, happily wolfs down the slightly burnt pancakes, and curls up over your feet when it's chilly. The reality is that this new pet can't be in the trailer (or your vehicle?) at all without you suffering. What are you going to do when it's cold and rainy? Young animals aren't very happy laying around resting, but want company and activity.

Is there some other pet to which you aren't allergic? Seems like the puppy would be happier bouncing between 3 children (ages 5, 7, and 7) .... oh wait that's my house!
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #49
(Kim)

Quote:
We have a new labrador retriever puppy (8 weeks old). This weekend was his first weekend camping and our first weekend to carry a pet camping. I'm not sure this is something I want to do on a regular basis, but my wife has it in mind that he is going to be a camping dog, so I guess I'll give it a try. One problem we have: I am terribly allergic to dog dander if trapped indoors with it. We can't leave him inside or carry him in our vehicle. He will have to ride in the back of the truck and he will have to stay outdoors at the campsite. My question: How do you train a dog not to bark and keep the neighboring campers awake? Like I said above, keeping him inside the camper is not an option.
Ok, I know I will sound like a b*^ch, but I have to say it.

He is way too young to be brought camping. A puppy should be kept in secure, uncontaminated areas, until it has gotten all of it's shots, usually at the age of 6 months.
There are just too many 'things' lurking around at a CG, that could make it seriously ill.
You might have to put off a few camping trips for the sake of the newest member of your family.
In the meantime, you can socialize it, and train it to be a great camping buddy=]
I have a friend who is allergic to cats, but loves them and owns 3; she just takes daily antihistamines.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagman View Post
Probably right though I have seen some very well trained dogs
I think if the rules say dogs must be leashed then that is what should be done. I also have been in these conversations before and you will have people justifying leaving the dogs alone in the rv even when the rules say no unattended dogs. But the rules are the rules. We never leave our dog in the rv if we are out of earshot. He is always quiet but how do you know if you are away from your rv?
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
I think if the rules say dogs must be leashed then that is what should be done. I also have been in these conversations before and you will have people justifying leaving the dogs alone in the rv even when the rules say no unattended dogs. But the rules are the rules. We never leave our dog in the rv if we are out of earshot. He is always quiet but how do you know if you are away from your rv?
I hate having my peaceful evening interrupted by a noisy dog, especially someone else's. That's why I want to train mine not to bark if it's going to camp. I just wonder if anyone has any tips to keep them from barking. I might try a bark collar.

I appreciate the replies from the other two folks as well. A labrador is bred for cold and wet, so I don't think being outside is an issue as long as I can keep him quiet. He won't be going on any long trips with us even if he does camp. We take a lot of weekend trips within an hour or so of home and those are the ones he might get to go on. The long trips he will have to stay back. We live on a large farm with family nearby and other dogs and cats on the property, so he doesn't have to go to a kennel when we are away. I will definitely employ some of the dander reducing tips. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

I’m working on this. A breeder/trainer at my local AKC club suggested something I’m trying.

Keep a small spray bottle handy set on the stream setting - not set on the "mist" setting. Fill it with 85% water and 15% apple cider vinegar. When the dog barks at home I will say, "no bark" and then wait a moment. If he barks again he gets sprayed at the same time I give the "no bark" command.

sometimes I will hide behind a corner and spray him when he's not looking so he doesn't know its me.

You can start spraying on the chest and legs but if that doesn’t work spray the head. The logic goes that dogs hate the smell of vinegar. Vinegar will not harm the dog. You can try lemon juice, too.

Its taking awhile because I didn’t do this when he first started but he is learning that it is not tolerated to just be barking.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #53
(Kim)

Apple cider vinegar is actually very healthy!
Try giving him 1tsp on his food or in the water bowl every day, my dog loves it.

Btw.....IF you want to try the 'spray-bottle method' with vinegar in it I would not aim at the head; it is too easy for them to get it right in the eye. VERY painful!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

That'll teach 'em not to bark.

kidding...just kidding

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #55

Quote:
Please don't take this personally....but if you're terribly allergic to dander, then why did you get a puppy? I would never, never, ever, leave my dog outside when at home unless he has a heated/cooled enclosure and I would defiinitely never leave my dog outside in the elements when we're camping. Have you considered what would happen if a wild animal enters your campsite at night? My sister had a dog that was never allowed to set foot in their house and in my opinion, led a very lonely life in its kennel. If you can't give your dog any loving and affection....what is the point? Sorry...just the opinion of a huge animal lover and one who hates to see a family pet segregated.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #56

As I stated in my previous post, I'm a HUGE animal lover. We currently have 5 cats. They're easier with our busy lifestyle. And guess what? I'm allergic to cats, along with a myriad of other things. I endured six years of allergy shots for cat dander and dust mites. I have good days and bad days (not real often), and I usually take a daily OTC non-drowsy antihistamine for the things I didn't get shots for. I can pet them, hold them, sleep with them, etc. and I don't sneeze, get itchy eyes, wheeze, etc. As my doctor said, I've "graduated."

The squirt bottle is a great tool, although I've never heard of adding vinegar to the water. Our cats even hate it when we THREATEN to squirt them with it!

I also agree with previous posts.....an 8-week old puppy is too young to take camping.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
As I stated in my previous post, I'm a HUGE animal lover. We currently have 5 cats. They're easier with our busy lifestyle. And guess what? I'm allergic to cats, along with a myriad of other things. I endured six years of allergy shots for cat dander and dust mites. I have good days and bad days (not real often), and I usually take a daily OTC non-drowsy antihistamine for the things I didn't get shots for. I can pet them, hold them, sleep with them, etc. and I don't sneeze, get itchy eyes, wheeze, etc. As my doctor said, I've "graduated."

The squirt bottle is a great tool, although I've never heard of adding vinegar to the water. Our cats even hate it when we THREATEN to squirt them with it!

I also agree with previous posts.....an 8-week old puppy is too young to take camping.

Whoa. I asked a simple question about bark training and I've aroused the ire of PETA! Let me say this, our pets are loved and very well cared for. We currently have 2 cats, 2 dogs, and 1 hamster and we have never neglected them. That said, we live in rural Tennessee where animals are animals and are thereby assigned that status. We do not believe they are people. As for 8 weeks old being too young, he did just fine this weekend. What better age to start training them? I should have known better than to ask such a question on this forum. From now on, any questions I have here will pertain to the camper.

Triguy - thanks for the common sense advice, which is what I was seeking. I'll certainly try it. I'd rather do something like that than employ a bark collar.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Mike,
You should go on goldenretriever.com sometime. That's a hoot. I swear the people there would call the Humane Society on me when I posted a few weeks ago that I just ran one slow mile with my 6 month old puppy.

Anyway, I have found that people all over have differing ideas on indoor or outdoor, crate or no crate, kennel or no kennel, etc. There isn't really a correct answer except for the one that works best for you and best for your dog.

Frankly, I think most dogs are happiest if they are given nice amounts of daily attention and huge amounts of exercise. Stimulation in the form of new places is actually quite healthy, too, and helps the dog become socialized better. Of course, he needs all of his shots and be old enough to take a regular course of heart-worm pills and flea and tick drops, but that's up to you and your vet IMO.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Mike,
You should go on goldenretriever.com sometime. That's a hoot. I swear the people there would call the Humane Society on me when I posted a few weeks ago that I just ran one slow mile with my 6 month old puppy.

Anyway, I have found that people all over have differing ideas on indoor or outdoor, crate or no crate, kennel or no kennel, etc. There isn't really a correct answer except for the one that works best for you and best for your dog.

Frankly, I think most dogs are happiest if they are given nice amounts of daily attention and huge amounts of exercise. Stimulation in the form of new places is actually quite healthy, too, and helps the dog become socialized better. Of course, he needs all of his shots and be old enough to take a regular course of heart-worm pills and flea and tick drops, but that's up to you and your vet IMO.
I agree. Our puppy seems to be adapting very well. We took him down to the river earlier this afternoon and walked him. He is already behaving quite well on a leash. I have no doubt we'll be able to make a great camping dog of him if I can keep him quiet at night. We have a folding camping kennel ordered for him and we'll try him in that at night for a while and see how it goes. Believe it or not, the vet has already started him on Frontline. I was surprised at that as young as he is. The fact I even take my pets to the vet for more than a rabies shot is a major step forward for me. I was raised that when a pet gets down, they should be "put out of their misery". Big bucks at the vet wasn't considered an option. Difference in country folks and city folks, I suppose. But, I digress.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #60

We have a boxer (Boomer 60lbs) rat terrier (Spec 14lbs) we are all new to cg's. Just bought new 3150bhd and just got back from our 1st trip with dogs. It was great!! They never barked at people, or other animals. They pee'd but never pooped over 2 .5 day Span. Which was a nice surprise ! We let the terrier ride in cab and boxer rides in his kennel in bed of truck. After arriving at CG while checking in we put terrier in kennel too TIL we complete set up. It works for us
Vols is offline   Reply With Quote