Old 12-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #91
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Thanks for all the advice about boarding dogs for the day, would you believe we have 2 almost identical shih tzu's and they both have separation anxiety when we leave them. One we found on the highway and no one claimed her.

Rescues make the best pups! I think they KNOW how lucky they are and are grateful!
Now that doesn't mean they still aren't spoiled brats at times!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #92

Mark have you tried a thunder shirt for them. I have friends that have used them not sure how their results were but on a Havanese forum I'm on they say they are helpful for separation anxiety. Not 100% but it might help them. We went with small dogs this time after we lost our Britney and they are sure different. I love all dogs and they all have their issues but I wouldn't trade these two Havanese for anything. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1417808357.610327.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	593.8 KB
ID:	67160

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 12-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
If your dog is so protective he might not belong in a campground. Maybe the little dog just got away from the little girl. What would have happened if your very protective dog attacked the little girl? Sounds like a dangerous situation that needs to be considered. Poor little girl must have run home crying after that. You didn't call her stupid did you?

No Phil, I didn't call her stupid, and no the dog didn't just get away from her, the dog was off leash the entire time they were there. As far as my dog attacking the little girl, that wasn't really in question as I was much closer to my dog than she was, in fact there was really never a chance of her or here dog getting close to my dog.

Just to clarify, my dog has never bitten anything, he does aggressively posture when strangers come by, I always tell people he is not friendly and they should not approach him. I also insure I am between my dog and any stranger. Now, if an uncontrolled (unleashed) dog were to rush at my dog there would probably be an issue, not always as he does fairly well when properly introduced to strange dogs and people, he actually likes small dogs and would probably enjoy playing with your two.

As to the girl's reaction, she gave me a slightly startled look and then continued on her way, she did not turn and run home crying.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #94

We have taken our Boxers and had no issues with anyone, except overly friendly people that come up to us while we are walking the dogs & say they have one at home & without asking stick there face in our dogs face so she can lick them "kiss" them........ (would like to wash the dogs mouth out afterwards ). Do not understand why someone would intentionally stick their face in a strangers dog's face.

The campgrounds we stay have no size restrictions & at allow you to leave them alone inside your RV but not outside alone. One campground we go to instituted a $100 fine to go to local pet charities if you don't pick up their waste. Breed restrictions for bully breeds is common, Pits, Rotties etc.

Our dogs rarely bark, but last weekend the neighbors trailer had 3 dogs that rarely quit barking but being cold we did not hear them while we were inside. Our dogs just sit there & listen.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #95

Dogs and RVs

Quote:
We travel everywhere with our dogs and a lot of places we want to visit while we are traveling don't allow dogs, has anyone ever found a campground that might , for a fee, take your dog out for a walk while you are out for the day? Next spring I retire and I'm looking to head south from Upper New York State and would like to find nice, clean and pet friendly campgrounds on the way to Florida.

Call the CG you think you might enjoy. Ask. We've found several CGs will have someone walk the dog out. They don't advertise; depends on the manager, your dog and if any employees are very dog friendly.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #96

Quote:
Mark have you tried a thunder shirt for them. I have friends that have used them not sure how their results were but on a Havanese forum I'm on they say they are helpful for separation anxiety. Not 100% but it might help them. We went with small dogs this time after we lost our Britney and they are sure different. I love all dogs and they all have their issues but I wouldn't trade these two Havanese for anything. Attachment 67160

Yes tried on one of them didn't help they both really hate being alone even when they have each other. I know the one we had loves to travel I've taken her to Rochester and back a couple of times that's about 6 hrs round trip and she doesn't even flinch as long as I'm there. If I get out she is all over the inside of the truck.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #97
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisker View Post
Unfortunately the state parks here in California are poorly staffed and maintained. We did talk to the park host, but he was quick to point out he has no authority to do anything. The other problem with the state parks here in California is the sites are pretty small and there are no hook ups, so the private camp right up the street has been a wonderful solution.
This has been the sad truth in California's parks, for quite awhile and has been getting worse over the past 2-3 years.
it's not unusual for there to be only one ranger for 3 different parks in a 50 mile radius. I've talked to a number of them because I was in the same public safety union as them.
And the poor camp hosts can do nothing but shake their heads and apologize.

That's why we didn't camp in California State Parks, during the summer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #98
Site Team

Quote:
Yes tried on one of them didn't help they both really hate being alone even when they have each other. I know the one we had loves to travel I've taken her to Rochester and back a couple of times that's about 6 hrs round trip and she doesn't even flinch as long as I'm there. If I get out she is all over the inside of the truck.
Our old dog had separation anxiety. We were able to help her through it. DAP (dog appeasing pheromone) works for some but never helped Maddie. Rescue Remedy helped. I would feed it to her on a biscuit but it can he mixed into their water. What really worked best though was deconditioning training. We would give a treat every time we left. We would start by being gone for a very short period of time and then progressively longer. When you return do not give a treat or attention to the dog. After you have been home for awhile then you can give the dog attention. The idea is that attention itself is a reward so when you come home and give a nervous dog attention you are rewarding the behaviors he had while you were gone. Giving a treat before you leave (do this every time you leave) teaches the dog to look forward to you leaving. It takes a little bit and a lot of work but eventually it does work. We also left on a tv or radio to help maddie feel not so alone. It seemed to work. She quit hurting herself every time we left. She quit barking incessantly and she quit destroying things. Sadly we lost her almost two years ago but we have applied these same principles to our new boy. Good luck fixing your two little guys.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #99

Quote:
If your dog is so protective he might not belong in a campground. Maybe the little dog just got away from the little girl. What would have happened if your very protective dog attacked the little girl? Sounds like a dangerous situation that needs to be considered. Poor little girl must have run home crying after that. You didn't call her stupid did you?

There is no such thing as an unfair fight in the dog world. If a small dog acts aggressive to a larger dog there is no moral code in the canine brain that reminds him he is larger and should demonstrate restraint. If a dog has aggressive tendencies whether he/she be 150 pounds, 50 pounds or 15 pounds they should be monitored at all times and never be off leash. Someone or something will eventually be hurt. Aggression is aggression even in a small package; Fluffy might not be able to finish the fight but can sure instigate one. I love dogs but they donít always get along I donít go camping to end up with someone elseís dog in my campsite and everyone should be able to walk with or without their dog through a campground without being worried about being rushed at by any dog. Itís my responsibility to supervise my dog and not be an annoyance to other campers. Its other dog ownerís responsibility to do the same unfortunately thatís not happening often enough thatís why thereís so many issues over camping with dogs.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
There is no such thing as an unfair fight in the dog world. If a small dog acts aggressive to a larger dog there is no moral code in the canine brain that reminds him he is larger and should demonstrate restraint. If a dog has aggressive tendencies whether he/she be 150 pounds, 50 pounds or 15 pounds they should be monitored at all times and never be off leash. Someone or something will eventually be hurt. Aggression is aggression even in a small package; Fluffy might not be able to finish the fight but can sure instigate one. I love dogs but they donít always get along I donít go camping to end up with someone elseís dog in my campsite and everyone should be able to walk with or without their dog through a campground without being worried about being rushed at by any dog. Itís my responsibility to supervise my dog and not be an annoyance to other campers. Its other dog ownerís responsibility to do the same unfortunately thatís not happening often enough thatís why thereís so many issues over camping with dogs.

Thank you cattledog!

I watch my dog and restrain him accordingly, if an off leash dog wanders into my site and my dog acts aggressively, or defensively depending on which leash you are holding, I'll take care of my dog, the other owner needs to do the same. It really comes down to simply following the rules, keep your dog on a leash.