Old 09-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
NELA

Forgot to mention that those children decided to play *under the edge* of the TT next to them...which contained a couple of Yorkies.

Freaked the dogs out and they proceeded to tear down the blinds/curtains.

That family left the next morning. Hopefully someone explained how and why that happened.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #12

We stayed in the Durango RV Resort in Red Bluff, CA. It was so pet friendly it had a coin-operated dog wash. It was in a stand-alone three-sided brick building with a gated chain link front. The wash had at least 10 selections, including perfume and de-skunk!

Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
NELA

(chuckle) I wonder what they used as a de skunker?

Tried and true method: Tomato juice! applied liberally.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
Anacortesians

We have two very easy-going elderly male Labs (both adopted late in their lives). Of course they're big! Labs are. Bailey is a bit on the small side for a Lab, around 55 pounds and not very tall. Angus more than makes up for him. He's around 80 pounds and at least 5" taller than Bailey.

Unfortunately they can both be barkers when circumstances require it, so we very rarely leave them unattended. Angus' bark can take paint off! Bailey is the worst for barking so we got a bark control collar. It works fine when he's wearing it but he's as bad as ever once it's off. So much for the claim that it trains the dog not to bark!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
(chuckle) I wonder what they used as a de skunker?

Tried and true method: Tomato juice! applied liberally.
When I was a little girl we had a black and white dog named Stinker. She got the name because she loved to play in sewers. One time while we were away, my parents left Stinker with a pet sitter. When they called to check on things they learned Stinker had tangled with a skunk. Poor sitter didn't know what to do and had spent hours trying to de skunk the dog. My parents told the sitter to use tomato juice. We came home to a pink and black dog.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #16

The most pet friendly CGs that I have found are State Parks and National Parks. These are my only choices if I can get it done. I try to shy away from 'privately' owned CGs. Campers are way to close together for my liking and at the 'Parks' the dogs love the 'nature' so much more and nature loves the dogs.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #17
NELA

the private park we stayed in up at Pigeon Forge is the nicest one we've stayed in so far. Only 35 spaces, nice and roomy, with *full* hook ups.

Nope, no playgrounds or pools for the kids...just "natural swimming holes" in the form of two cool creeks, one running down each side of the park.

I kinda hope it continues to be a well kept secret. We *will* be back.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
The most pet friendly CGs that I have found are State Parks and National Parks. These are my only choices if I can get it done. I try to shy away from 'privately' owned CGs. Campers are way to close together for my liking and at the 'Parks' the dogs love the 'nature' so much more and nature loves the dogs.
We also prefer state and national parks, but every national park we have visited prohibits pets on trails, except the short paved "trails" in the developed areas. A few state parks with unusual features (such as intensive bird watching) don't allow pets. Some don't alow pets on beaches. It's always good to check before you go.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #19
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
We always have our miniature dachshund with us anywhere and everywhere we go. We got her as a pup and simply taught her "don't bark". Period.

Occasionally if someone knocks on the door (at home or in the RV) she's give a very soft "woof" - more to say "Hey, did you hear that?" than anything angry.

We leave her in the trailer (crated, and she loves her crate) for hours and we've never had anyone complain. Most neighbors have been surprised when they see us taking her for a walk, because they had no idea we had a dog with us.

At night when my wife and I start getting ready to turn in, "Bridget" heads for her crate and uses her nose to unlock it - then pulls the door open with her foot and heads to bed.

Now, we just need to teach her to lock herself in at night.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
Steve & Phyllis

We always put our dog on a leash "as the rules state" when she is outside the fence at our campsite. She will remain quietly in her little fenced area but when those who choose not use a leash let their dogs charge our campsite she goes crazy barking and it takes time to settle her back down. When you are out for a walk and an unrestrained dog charges up it can be quite unsettling. The rules say use a leash so why not just follow the rules. When we go away from our site we put her in the carrier she rides in which calms her. Just like most problems a little courtesy would solve most problems.