Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
we recently checked into and paid for 4 nights at Saco River CG in North Conway. Along with the CG map, they gave a piece of paper with pet rules. Number 1 was No Barking. I asked how I was supposed to control my dog if she barked. I said, it was a dog and dogs bark. Also, I was not allowed to leave the dog unattended in my camper under any circumstances. They stated that they were pet friendly but I certainly didn't feel the love. I asked for a refund and moved further down the road. A very high number of campers take their pets. This is one of the beauties of camping. Some CGs are getting a bit too silly, if you ask me.
I understand your point...but try to understand that many also don't have a dog...and don't necessarily like them.
That's why there is that many parks...something for everyone.
To each is own and happy camping !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #102

We NEVER stay where it says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
I understand your point...but try to understand that many also don't have a dog...and don't necessarily like them.
That's why there is that many parks...something for everyone.
To each is own and happy camping !
Never leave dogs unattended. Never!!! Also it is really nice, such as the campground we are in in Clearwater, FL, to have a dog area. We put bark collars on them at night but we don't have to here because of the area we are in.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:16 AM   #103

So JoanneL you take your dog everywhere you go? Really? If you go out to eat do you take them in with you or leave them in a hot car? It is not possible to take dogs with you everyplace you go. Our motor home is our home and our dogs are left at home by themselves sometimes and the world hasn't come to an end. Often we can't do things because we are not willing to leave them for to long but that was the choice we made when we got our dogs. They bark mostly when we are out walking them because they want everyone to stop and pet them because they are sure they are the most important thing in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #104

You misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
So JoanneL you take your dog everywhere you go? Really? If you go out to eat do you take them in with you or leave them in a hot car? It is not possible to take dogs with you everyplace you go. Our motor home is our home and our dogs are left at home by themselves sometimes and the world hasn't come to an end. Often we can't do things because we are not willing to leave them for to long but that was the choice we made when we got our dogs. They bark mostly when we are out walking them because they want everyone to stop and pet them because they are sure they are the most important thing in the world.

We don't go to any campgrounds whose rules are to NEVER leave the dogs unattended because we do. We went out last night and are meeting relatives for breakfast. We put dog collars on them and even if there is no battery they seem to work to keep them from barking. We close the shades etc. But if a campground says we can't leave them unattended we won't stay there. Our dogs are the most important things in the world to us except our kids! We've had RVs forever because we can travel with our furbabies.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #105

Quote:

x2

I too do not see any ....any.... problem with leaving your dog in the camper alone short term..... It is done all the time....... Our dogs are too left at home alone when we are at work. They are Boxers & rarely bark at home or at the campground. We have never ran into a campground that will not allow you to leave your dogs unattended in the camper, not left outside unattended I understand. I suppose if we ran into one we would move on as well.

We are into camping to enjoy camping with family & the dogs. If we left the dogs at home they would be left at the kennel in a box. Now which is better with you walking the beach or in a small cage "box" for a week or two. Our dogs beat us in the camper & know when we are leaving. They seem to enjoy it as much as we do.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #106
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
So JoanneL you take your dog everywhere you go? Really? If you go out to eat do you take them in with you or leave them in a hot car?
On a lighter note ... I met a friend for dinner and he introduced me to two other couples. Under the table was a lab wearing a service dog vest. The dog lay silent the entire time.
After dinner, we left the restaurant and I asked the man why he needed the dog. He said the lab wasn't a service dog. He just bought the vest at PetSmart so he could take the dog with him everywhere he went. The dog was so well behaved that no one questioned his presence.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
On a lighter note ... I met a friend for dinner and he introduced me to two other couples. Under the table was a lab wearing a service dog vest. The dog lay silent the entire time.
After dinner, we left the restaurant and I asked the man why he needed the dog. He said the lab wasn't a service dog. He just bought the vest at PetSmart so he could take the dog with him everywhere he went. The dog was so well behaved that no one questioned his presence.

That is like stealing from people that need this priceless gift. This happens enough and the rules will change. Dogs in general do not belong in a restaurant. People that depend on their service dogs are the exception.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #108

Quote:
The lighter note went south he should have been arrested and jailed. Its people like that .... absolutely hurt the people that really need a service dog.......... It is illegal to do that !!!!!! People like that (never might I won't say where they should go) Just do not have any morals....

This is becoming a huge problem as more & more people are doing it and thinking it is OK. Fake service dogs are just wrong!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #109
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Fake service dogs are just wrong!!!!
Wrong? Yes.
Why was he successful? That's where another lesson lies for all dog owners.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #110

Quote:
Wrong? Yes.

I'm sorry I don't know what you mean. Because the dog was so well behaved? Dogs are dogs. They are all different and some don't work as service dogs. A dog that is a little naughty doesn't mean the owner doesn't train it. A service dogs first trial is the screening process.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #111

Quote:
Wrong? Yes.
I don't understand what you are saying? Is it a lesson how to get around the system?? Most business assume that if you have a service placard dog that it is proper. Some are being forced to check & embarrassing those who deserve them to check their papers. Why would someone sink so low as to make theirs a fake one? I guess its the same people that get a handicapped placard for their car when they do not deserve one and take a parking spot away from a disabled person.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #112
Site Team

Friendly site team reminder:

Okaaaaaay, before this thread jumps too far out there, let's see if we can bring it back to dogs and RV's. Pretty please.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #113

I agree !!!!

But it seemed to be headed to a possible alternative to leaving your dog at the camper just put a service dog vest on them & taking them with you, which as we all know is just plain wrong.

We all that take our dogs with us just need to use common sense and be considerate of our fellow RVers.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #114

Quote:
That is like stealing from people that need this priceless gift. This happens enough and the rules will change. Dogs in general do not belong in a restaurant. People that depend on their service dogs are the exception.

There are many countries that welcome well-behaved dogs in restaurants. A few US states are now beginning to allow pets on patios, and I think that's a good thing, as long as I don't see them letting the dogs lick their plates.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #115
(Dry Huunday)

If you want to leave YOUR pets in YOUR RV, so be it, they belong to you! Hopefully you take steps to ensure your pups are safe & secure.

Our choice is we don't go anywhere without our kids...period. We ask store owners if they are allowed and if we are told no, then one of us will wait outside.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #116

Hmmm. Where would you camp where you could take your pet everywhere you go? Most beaches won't allow pets...you can't take pets to church...you can't take them out to dinner...can't take them shopping.
We've been RV'ers for only a year but have never had a park tell us we couldn't go out without the dog. We're always back to the unit early enough that if our border collie would bark it wouldn't be an issue.
CardinalQueen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalQueen View Post
Hmmm. Where would you camp where you could take your pet everywhere you go? Most beaches won't allow pets...you can't take pets to church...you can't take them out to dinner...can't take them shopping.
We've been RV'ers for only a year but have never had a park tell us we couldn't go out without the dog. We're always back to the unit early enough that if our border collie would bark it wouldn't be an issue.

Watch out all that common since will get you in trouble on this thread. I totally agree and you are doing nothing wrong.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #118

I believe rules are at campgrounds probably for a reason, and the reason is there have been previous issues with wandering or barking dogs especially when left. If you know your dog is quiet, doesn't have separation anxiety it is probably ok to leave them for a while. It is those pups who bark and or whine continuously while owners are gone that others and campgrounds will not be happy with. It is feasible for a motorhome to leave for the day and bring the pups with them than a camper or 5th wheel. We have done so repeatedly with ours not because they bark but rather I want to be near them in case of emergency. We find a restr. or shopping area, etc with a large lot put on the generator and we are set and I can keep watch or check on them. As said not everybody can do this.
Pretending to have service dog, not a wise decision. I will leave it at that.
Everyone wants to enjoy their time away with their family including the four legged children.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalQueen View Post

I'm not sure where you live, but here in San Diego there are at least 3 dog beaches and several dog friendly restaurants. As far as churches go you are probably right, just another reason not to go to church for me. As far as shopping goes, are you alone? If so, I can see the problem, if not I say one stays with the pup while the other shops.

If you are a full timer I understand there can be difficulties full timing with a pet. My base stance on this thread is hat if the campground or park has a rule stating you cannot leave your pet alone, then you don't leave your pet alone, pretty simple, don't you think Phil.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #120

We have been out full time for a year and RV'd for years. Never saw this rule so this argument is not anything I care about. I have said this before that in a campground we live very close together. Whatever the rules are it's important to be mindful of your fellow campers. This includes loud music barking dogs messy camp sites ect. I'm alway try to be a good camper but I'm sure that I irritate my neighbors just as they irritate me sometimes. We try to be better and so far I have not been asked to leave. I do believe that this rule that seems so important is two uses. One so people don't leave their pet tied up outside and leave. That's just cruel. Two would be a way to ask campers that are not keeping there dog quite to leave the property. My dogs bark. Most dogs bark. Mine are young and are learning. They will get better and we are working on it. I always ask if they bother the neighbors if they bark and they say a little but not a problem. Right now we are camped next to a small dog that was born blind. He barks but is a real sweetheart and it's how he communicates.