Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #1

Dogs and RVs

I've seen some RV parks that are "dog friendly" but they limit to under 40 pounds. What has been your experience? I have a big shepherd as a traveling companion and need to find places he can go.
GBonifay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #2

we recently checked into and paid for 4 nights at Saco River CG in North Conway. Along with the CG map, they gave a piece of paper with pet rules. Number 1 was No Barking. I asked how I was supposed to control my dog if she barked. I said, it was a dog and dogs bark. Also, I was not allowed to leave the dog unattended in my camper under any circumstances. They stated that they were pet friendly but I certainly didn't feel the love. I asked for a refund and moved further down the road. A very high number of campers take their pets. This is one of the beauties of camping. Some CGs are getting a bit too silly, if you ask me.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #3

Good for you on moving on. If enough people did that at campgrounds that have crazy rules the decease in sales would make the rules change.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I had a lab Shepard cross who was about 70 lbs. Her vet paperwork listed her as a lab cross. We took her camping with us around NC, VA and SC. Never had an issue at any campground. Most campground pet rules revolve around noisy or aggressive dogs or rude pet owners. Most campground pet rules are enforced more when they need an excuse to kick you out. I have seen some campgrounds with breed restrictions. most dont specify the breed but say something to the effect of "we reserve the right to not admit aggressive breeds". Some do specify breed. Always best to ask or look up the pet policy before booking. Also lots of campgrounds require pet fees, 6 or 8 ft leash and/or tie out. Most do not allow leaving pet unattended outside the camper, some will expand that to include inside the camper. Some have dog parks, some don't. All require you to pick up after your dog. Just remember to be respectful. If your dog barks nonstop, train it not to or don't bring it. occasional barking is understandable. And yes, you can train a dog to not bark incessantly when you are or are not there, we trained our old girl not to do this.

By the way, if you haven't already, get your dog microchipped so if you lose it when camping and the dog loses his collar, you can still be reunited. I always left my number with a neighbor and told them to call me if my dog was barking or if there were any problems and I would come back. None ever called but all were grateful that I cared about their camping experience as much as ours. I also had a pet inside sign so people would know my dog needed rescue if there was a fire or something. I never left my dog for longer than a couple of hours because I worried about what if the circuit breaker tripped or power went out and it was hot out. I didn't want my dog to overheat. There is a device you can set up to call your phone if temp reaches a certain point, I never got it or set it up. So long story short, go camping with your dog and have fun!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #5

This is their pet policy. It looks like the standard in most campgrounds these days. I think it is reasonable.

Their pet Policy:

In order to allow all guests an enjoyable experience, the following pet rules are strictly applied toward our furry friends:
  1. All dogs must be quiet and friendly; not barking at other pets or people.
  2. All dogs must be on a short leash at ALL times and cleaned up after WHEREVER they go.
  3. No dog can be left unattended inside or outside of the camping unit.
  4. Dogs are not permitted on the playground, beach or near the pool area, office/store or bathhouses.
  5. Sorry, no Rottweilers, Dobermans or Pit Bulls.
I think they really mean to say that no agressive dogs. I do think they need to reword their pet policy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #6

We camp/travel with 2 boxers. Gypsy is small for a boxer but still weighs about 50lb. Cody is just over 60lb. We've never had a problem even though some CG's say there are pet restrictions. We much prefer state parks, national park/forest & COE campgrounds over the "RV resorts", Good Sams & KOAs.

If asked if we have pets, of course I say yes. If asked what type & breed, I'm honest. If I'm not asked, I don't volunteer the info.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
This is their pet policy. It looks like the standard in most campgrounds these days. I think it is reasonable.
Rules are rules and I do abide , but I didn't get that warm and fuzzy "pet friendly" feeling and that was why I moved. For what it's worth these are the rules where we moved. A bit more stringent, but they were more friendly and understood that we do travel with pets.

Dog Policies

*Dogs must be on a leash at all times.
*A valid rabies certificate must be presented for every dog.
*Pick up your pet’s waste!
*Dogs must be friendly, obedient, well-behaved, tolerating of children, and tolerating of other animals.
*Quiet hours for the campground apply to dogs, too!
*Dogs should never be left unattended anywhere in the campground.
*Sorry, but no Dobermans, American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, or Rottweilers are allowed. This includes mixes as well.
*Any dog visiting the campground MUST present a valid rabies certificate to the office.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #8

We have a jack russel that camps with us and on occasion we get notified about the dog rules at a campground were staying at. My dog is small, quiet and non-agressive so for the most part it doesn't affect us. The exception is at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park in Mexico, NY. They have a rule where you can only walk the dog the quickest route to and from the dog walk area. One of the things we enjoy doing as a family at the parks we visit is taking a tour of the park checking out the campground and other trailers and camp site setups. I know how much the dog loves getting off the chain at the campsite so it's just a shame that we can't bring her along. I've already signed that she's not aggressive and I'll clean-up after her; what am I missing?

p.s. Not sure if this is the same for all Yogi Bear Jellystone parks.

"Dogs are allowed at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park at Mexico, but they must be kept on a short leash when outside your vehicle. A pet owner may bring one (1) pet to the park keeping it on the owner’s site at all times except walking directly to and from the designated pet walk area. Pets are not allowed in or on rental sites. Pets must not be taken to another site or to the river. Pit bulls, Rottweiler’s, Doberman and other guard/attack dogs are not permitted. (Please ask) Proof of current shots required."
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
NELA

We've carried our Fred (we're told he's half poodle/half Doxy, but he looks like a cross between a Doxy and Irish Setter) with us three times so far.

Each time we've asked our neighbors if he barked while we were gone. So far they've all said they didn't even realize he was there. I guess it's true he's a four legged commercial for Valium...he just sleeps unless we take him outside the RV.

At Up the Creek RV park in Pigeon Forge there were extremely lax rules. We weren't asked for them, but we carried papers from the vet regarding current vaccinations, etc. There's a small fenced in dog park, but few used it, as every one was walking their dogs (on leashes) freely around the park.

All went well until the next to last day, when a family with two TTs arrived with an English Bull dog...aggressive is an understatement. He challenged every dog there. Of course they refused to keep him on a leash...he rushed up to an 85 year old woman sitting in a lawn chair and clawed her legs...(sigh).

Everyone had to avoid one of the creeks for a couple of hours as the family let him take over the water...OFF leash, of course.

Don't know the outcome, but the park owner was on the verge of kickin' 'em out, since the guests who asked them to restrain their dog were met with verbal hostility. Nope t'wasn't me...I just steered clear after he lunged at Fred.

A couple of times I felt uneasy when about five of the children in that group decided Fred was their "favorite dog in the whole camp" and rushed him, all wanting to pet him at the same time.

Never say your kid won't lie.

Never say your dog won't bite.

Never say your horse won't kick.

Under the right circumstances, all three will prove you wrong.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
NELA

I *like* the idea of leaving your phone number with the next space campers! Great idea.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
NELA

Forgot to mention that those children decided to play *under the edge* of the TT next to them...which contained a couple of Yorkies.

Freaked the dogs out and they proceeded to tear down the blinds/curtains.

That family left the next morning. Hopefully someone explained how and why that happened.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #12

We stayed in the Durango RV Resort in Red Bluff, CA. It was so pet friendly it had a coin-operated dog wash. It was in a stand-alone three-sided brick building with a gated chain link front. The wash had at least 10 selections, including perfume and de-skunk!
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
NELA

(chuckle) I wonder what they used as a de skunker?

Tried and true method: Tomato juice! applied liberally.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
Anacortesians

We have two very easy-going elderly male Labs (both adopted late in their lives). Of course they're big! Labs are. Bailey is a bit on the small side for a Lab, around 55 pounds and not very tall. Angus more than makes up for him. He's around 80 pounds and at least 5" taller than Bailey.

Unfortunately they can both be barkers when circumstances require it, so we very rarely leave them unattended. Angus' bark can take paint off! Bailey is the worst for barking so we got a bark control collar. It works fine when he's wearing it but he's as bad as ever once it's off. So much for the claim that it trains the dog not to bark!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
(chuckle) I wonder what they used as a de skunker?

Tried and true method: Tomato juice! applied liberally.
When I was a little girl we had a black and white dog named Stinker. She got the name because she loved to play in sewers. One time while we were away, my parents left Stinker with a pet sitter. When they called to check on things they learned Stinker had tangled with a skunk. Poor sitter didn't know what to do and had spent hours trying to de skunk the dog. My parents told the sitter to use tomato juice. We came home to a pink and black dog.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #16

The most pet friendly CGs that I have found are State Parks and National Parks. These are my only choices if I can get it done. I try to shy away from 'privately' owned CGs. Campers are way to close together for my liking and at the 'Parks' the dogs love the 'nature' so much more and nature loves the dogs.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #17
NELA

the private park we stayed in up at Pigeon Forge is the nicest one we've stayed in so far. Only 35 spaces, nice and roomy, with *full* hook ups.

Nope, no playgrounds or pools for the kids...just "natural swimming holes" in the form of two cool creeks, one running down each side of the park.

I kinda hope it continues to be a well kept secret. We *will* be back.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
The most pet friendly CGs that I have found are State Parks and National Parks. These are my only choices if I can get it done. I try to shy away from 'privately' owned CGs. Campers are way to close together for my liking and at the 'Parks' the dogs love the 'nature' so much more and nature loves the dogs.
We also prefer state and national parks, but every national park we have visited prohibits pets on trails, except the short paved "trails" in the developed areas. A few state parks with unusual features (such as intensive bird watching) don't allow pets. Some don't alow pets on beaches. It's always good to check before you go.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #19
"On the road again"

We always have our miniature dachshund with us anywhere and everywhere we go. We got her as a pup and simply taught her "don't bark". Period.

Occasionally if someone knocks on the door (at home or in the RV) she's give a very soft "woof" - more to say "Hey, did you hear that?" than anything angry.

We leave her in the trailer (crated, and she loves her crate) for hours and we've never had anyone complain. Most neighbors have been surprised when they see us taking her for a walk, because they had no idea we had a dog with us.

At night when my wife and I start getting ready to turn in, "Bridget" heads for her crate and uses her nose to unlock it - then pulls the door open with her foot and heads to bed.

Now, we just need to teach her to lock herself in at night.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #20
Steve & Phyllis

We always put our dog on a leash "as the rules state" when she is outside the fence at our campsite. She will remain quietly in her little fenced area but when those who choose not use a leash let their dogs charge our campsite she goes crazy barking and it takes time to settle her back down. When you are out for a walk and an unrestrained dog charges up it can be quite unsettling. The rules say use a leash so why not just follow the rules. When we go away from our site we put her in the carrier she rides in which calms her. Just like most problems a little courtesy would solve most problems.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply