Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #61

We have 2 very small dogs (shih Tzu's), we never leave them outside alone, don't allow all the barking that some peoples dogs do, walking is on a leash shorter than 6'. We do have a portable kennel for dogs their size also.
When we do go for walks we try to give a lot of space when walking past other campers with dogs. Most parks we have been to allow 2 pets and yet I always ck the pet policy before making reservations.
You see people with the 20' tie outs all the while or the ones running loose or dog that doesn't obey and no one can walk by that camper, my favorite is the one that is left out and barks all night long.
It all comes down to there are some responsible people and some irresponsible , the irresponsible ones are make things hard on the rest
Old 11-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #62

Dogs will usually stop barking.... drunks hardly ever stop being annoying. We camped at a private campground several times....LOUD "BAND" is keeping me out forever. One night till 12+...next night till 2+

If had gone over... there would have been a scuffle. Thank goodness it was hot. TV and A/C muffled most of it.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #63

A band at a camp site? I would have a major issue with that. Not sure I could have ignored that myself. Good for you.
We stopped at a CG last week and had to pick up two bags of dog poo before I could even let my dogs out of the MH. When we left the next day their dog had peed on my tire and rims. No class people but I didn't say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #64
Site Team

OK folks!
This topic is a hot one fer sure.
If you posted something in the last few hours and find it missing from this
thread it's because we've removed it.

WE TAKE THE KEEP IT FRIENDLY RULE VERY SERIOUSLY.

If you've got a problem with something a forum member posts you should
either keep it to yourself or move your conversation to private messages.

Be nice!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #65

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Well many of the people in the Thread have seen our little dog much Like i saw Glenn's dog at Goshen. In the week we spent there I new saw an issue in our area with a dog. All were leashed. We crate our dog and provide a radio to mask sound outside to keep her quiet. To our knowledge our dog behaves herself when we are away.

I have been attacked with our dog in our site when a big collie/shepherd cross got away form a 6 yr old girl, I had our dog in my arms. The owner could not control the dog and had to use all his strength to pull the dog back. The owner never went by our site for the rest of the stay.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #66

My first experience camping with our new trailer was at a state campground, we saw dogs running free, a dog attack and kill a squirrel and a boxer charge me while the owners just sat there.

We now stay at a private campground and have a much better time.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #67

This can be a very interesting topic. Everyone camping with pets must realize not all campers enjoy our dogs as much as we do. Barking will occur however if others see that you are stopping it and teaching the dog to become a "good citizen" it goes a long way. Pet rules are put into place especially when they're tough probably initiated by issues they have had. Well mannered dogs will always be welcomed back. I know this from experience.. . We travel the east coast with 7 dogs staying multiple times at same campgrounds while attending dog shows or vacations. Our objective is to be remembered, not for how many we travel with, rather how well behaved and quiet they are that the neighbors never know they are there. Everyone needs to be a responsible dog owner to keep campground/RV resorts welcoming our "four legged" family.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #68

apology

To Phil57 and any others I may have offended by my post, I do apologize. But the continued posts to this thread does show that some pet owners are not taking responsibility for their pets actions. We can not take our cat out of our RV without being traumatized by barking dogs and dogs running free or on 20' leashes. I have stepped into enough dog droppings and seen enough 100+ pound dogs leaping at people.

Enough said I will not say anymore on this subject.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisker View Post
My first experience camping with our new trailer was at a state campground, we saw dogs running free, a dog attack and kill a squirrel and a boxer charge me while the owners just sat there.
We now stay at a private campground and have a much better time.
You should have called the park rangers/police immediately!

We use state and national parks and forests all the time!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #70
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
If camping with your dog is a priority, this is the place to go:

Four Paws Kingdom - The best kept secret for Camping with your Dog!

WOW! Going to have to add this to the destination list!!
The Kids thank you for the link!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
You should have called the park rangers/police immediately!

We use state and national parks and forests all the time!

Unfortunately the state parks here in California are poorly staffed and maintained. We did talk to the park host, but he was quick to point out he has no authority to do anything. The other problem with the state parks here in California is the sites are pretty small and there are no hook ups, so the private camp right up the street has been a wonderful solution.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #72

I'm fairly new to the camping RV world. This up coming season will be my 3rd. I have a very large protective breed dog,it's a fantastic companion and I'll say it, a family member since I have no kids. Knowing how annoying loose,barking,aggressive dogs can be it's MY responsibility to be in control of my dog,it's up to ME to pick up droppings, It's the same with barking and bad behavior. She is walked on a 6ft leash and we take her with us when we go some place even if it means 2 vehicles.. Camping is supposed to be about relaxing and enjoying the outdoors, why would one make it miserable for others which includes loud music or being out of control drunks...Yes a dog will bark, it's their nature.Control it.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
I'm fairly new to the camping RV world. This up coming season will be my 3rd. I have a very large protective breed dog,it's a fantastic companion and I'll say it, a family member since I have no kids. Knowing how annoying loose,barking,aggressive dogs can be it's MY responsibility to be in control of my dog,it's up to ME to pick up droppings, It's the same with barking and bad behavior. She is walked on a 6ft leash and we take her with us when we go some place even if it means 2 vehicles.. Camping is supposed to be about relaxing and enjoying the outdoors, why would one make it miserable for others which includes loud music or being out of control drunks...Yes a dog will bark, it's their nature.Control it.

Totally agree, our dog is also very protective, so we make sure he is always under our control. This does mean we do not enjoy many of the campground features, like the clubhouse and pool, but we do enjoy the nice sized leash-free dog area!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #74

Thus far, we have not had any bad cg experiences with unleashed or unattended pets, knock on wood. However, I have found myself in a frightening situation at a local neighborhood park where a large dog was on the loose. I immediately left for home and researched options for how to protect myself and my little dog. The answer I came up with was a taser stick or stun baton, mainly because I hope the sound of it turned on will scare the intruding animal away but also because it's more effective than pepper spray if I actually end up having to use it. I take it with me every time I go for a walk.
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #75

My pets and campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
we recently checked into and paid for 4 nights at Saco River CG in North Conway. Along with the CG map, they gave a piece of paper with pet rules. Number 1 was No Barking. I asked how I was supposed to control my dog if she barked. I said, it was a dog and dogs bark. Also, I was not allowed to leave the dog unattended in my camper under any circumstances. They stated that they were pet friendly but I certainly didn't feel the love. I asked for a refund and moved further down the road. A very high number of campers take their pets. This is one of the beauties of camping. Some CGs are getting a bit too silly, if you ask me.
Last summer we were in a campground outside of Bar Harbor, Maine where we have stayed many times. Maybe it was our neighbors or maybe we hadn't been there in two years since we got our two furbabies (we lost our precious Pom) and they bark. Well one night (our fault) we got in after quiet hours (We almost never go out) and the next day got a warning. A one time warning - next time we get evicted. So we went into town and got them bark collars. We are on our third style and they work. The truth is their barking is annoying to us so it was sort of a disguised good thing BUT we do NOT go to campgrounds that say dogs cannot be left alone unattended. There are many that do not say that and we do put their bark collars on if we think we might be coming home after hours although their barking is much better than it used to be without them. They have learned that barking annoys us. So much for guarding the house!!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
We also prefer state and national parks, but every national park we have visited prohibits pets on trails, except the short paved "trails" in the developed areas. A few state parks with unusual features (such as intensive bird watching) don't allow pets. Some don't alow pets on beaches. It's always good to check before you go.

Just FYI Acadia National Park in Maine is not only amazingly beautiful but pets can go on every trail (unless it has a ladder).
Old 12-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #77

We bought

pop ups, travel trailers, and now our motorhome so that first our kids and dogs could travel with us and now just our dogs could. That is their second home. It is not unfamiliar. They know "in your corral" when they go out to make, just like they know to use their doggy door at home. They know "in the house" when we come home from somewhere so we don't have to pul them in or pick them up; they go in just like at their non mobile home. They have their favorite spaces in our MH just like they do at home. We don't go too many places without our girls because we love being with them. We don't like not being with them. But there are times we just cannot take them. We have found many campgrounds that do not have a "non attended" policy. We have made four reservations in FL for the winter none of which have that policy. If they did we wouldn't stay there.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
We also prefer state and national parks, but every national park we have visited prohibits pets on trails, except the short paved "trails" in the developed areas. A few state parks with unusual features (such as intensive bird watching) don't allow pets. Some don't alow pets on beaches. It's always good to check before you go.
Dogs are not allowed on any trail in "Bear country". This is for the dogs and your safety.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #79

We travel everywhere with our dogs and a lot of places we want to visit while we are traveling don't allow dogs, has anyone ever found a campground that might , for a fee, take your dog out for a walk while you are out for the day? Next spring I retire and I'm looking to head south from Upper New York State and would like to find nice, clean and pet friendly campgrounds on the way to Florida.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #80

Mark you won't find to many issues bringing your dog. We have traded favors with fellow dog owners to let the dogs out when one of us is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply