Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 72
Dogs and safe travelling.

We've travelled with our dogs in our Minnie Winnie before, and with no issues other than the small space. Our new Isata 3 24FW will be much more spacious when set up. Moving down the road, however, could get interesting. My main concern will be the large step well. We have an 85 pound Lab and a 15 pound muttster, and that deep well could cause problems. Anyone work through similar issues and have creative fixes? I've thought of just covering it or possibly looking for an inflatable.
__________________

Riverbend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: N. CA
Posts: 208
We use a cover. 3 dogs in our little unit, which works since I took out the dinette. Having the cover adds a large amount of floor space for us, and we can still get out of needed.
__________________

Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 696
Why does the well concern you? As in, what specific issue concerning the stair well.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sonoma 280RKS
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Andersen WDH / Class V (2000 lb) Hitch

CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
waybeck2018
 
waybeck2018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Central Alabama
Posts: 141
When we had a Class A and one blind doxie we simply cut a piece of plywood to cover the space then carpeted it. Worked fine
__________________
Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Why does the well concern you? As in, what specific issue concerning the stair well.
Standing in there today and looking at it, it was pretty easy to imagine a dog falling in there on a turn or sharp curve. It's vinyl flooring so pretty slick to a dog's foot. We'll put a rubber mat down, but I'm thinking preventative measures. It's a pretty big void. I'm already planning a plexiglass cover over the lower part of screen door.
Riverbend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,108
My dog's idea of where he should be when traveling is in a lap. Then again he only weighs 11 lbs.

For the step-well, a cover with hinges on one side and a strap to lift and secure while up might be a great idea.
__________________
I have it on my dog's authority that an afternoon nap is acceptable.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 6,861
They sell a grate for the bottom of the screen door and a clear section for where the latch is if yours does not have one. Did that to our screen door and our dogs could lay on the floor and look out.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
My dog's idea of where he should be when traveling is in a lap. Then again he only weighs 11 lbs.

For the step-well, a cover with hinges on one side and a strap to lift and secure while up might be a great idea.
Tough area as the aft side of well is full of switches and monitors. I'm thinking of a cover like you suggested, which would increase the dog's floorspace while moving. No good place to hinge it, and it's got to be stowable. The bulkhead behind the passenger seat will have soft hanging storage. Hmm mm
Riverbend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #9
Multi-Slacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
Standing in there today and looking at it, it was pretty easy to imagine a dog falling in there on a turn or sharp curve. It's vinyl flooring so pretty slick to a dog's foot. We'll put a rubber mat down, but I'm thinking preventative measures. It's a pretty big void. I'm already planning a plexiglass cover over the lower part of screen door.
Was just curious. When had a MH, we traveled with our GSD and it never occurred to me that it might be an issue. Wasn't either. Maybe the carpet floor had something to do with it.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sonoma 280RKS
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Andersen WDH / Class V (2000 lb) Hitch

CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 6,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
Tough area as the aft side of well is full of switches and monitors. I'm thinking of a cover like you suggested, which would increase the dog's floorspace while moving. No good place to hinge it, and it's got to be stowable. The bulkhead behind the passenger seat will have soft hanging storage. Hmm mm
I put a piece of Convertible plastic back window over my switches to keep rain off and brushing against by accident.
__________________

__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
travel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.