Old 01-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #11

Thanks for the comments.....will be getting a couple of 50' leashs!!!! Link for pet friendly beaches is awesome.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SGMRET View Post
Thanks for the comments.....will be getting a couple of 50' leashs!!!! Link for pet friendly beaches is awesome.
There are also laws about the length of the leash; often 6 feet. We have dogs and they are always leashed. I don't appreciate people that feel they don't have to leash their dogs. You don't know a dog and how it is going to react to you. And dogs often attack other dogs if they have the chance. There is a darn good reason for those laws IMO.

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
There are also laws about the length of the leash; often 6 feet. We have dogs and they are always leashed. I don't appreciate people that feel they don't have to leash their dogs. You don't know a dog and how it is going to react to you. And dogs often attack other dogs if they have the chance. There is a darn good reason for those laws IMO.
X2
Had a guy come into Mather Campground at the Grand Canyon with his dog in a sidecar on his motorcycle. He thought his dog was well behaved enough that he did not need to obey the rules. Well, his dog came running at us and our dogs and would not return to the owner when commanded! I had my walking stick and kept him away from my dogs until the owner got ahold of him. I did not see the dog off leash after that so I did not see a need to report him.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #14

A good idea....

The Yellow Dog Project: Do You Know What A Yellow Ribbon On A Dog’s Collar Means? | The Pet Collective
Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #15
Site Team

This will work with responsible owners; others not so much. Good idea though.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #16

Dog owners beware! If they slurp up some salt water. I learned the hard way and my dogs rear end was running like a faucet. Asked the vet later on at an annual and they said oh yeah salt water is an instant laxative! Not funny wen ur dog is shooting that stuff everywhere and people are watching.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
Many Oregon beaches have no leash laws. We always let our border collies off leash if there aren't crowds. Just be sure it is legal and clean up after them.
One of the reasons we take our 2 week summer camping trip on the Oregon Coast, as opposed to here at home in BC is the dog freidnyl attitude in the majority of the state of Oregon.
Dogs deserve to be allowed to run leash free on a beach, the joy it brings them is so evident. We took our old pooch to Oregon a number of years back, and when we knew his time with us was nearing an end we made the decision to go back, for him. It may sound stupid, but I think what we are prepapred to do to give our pets an enjoyable life reflects the sort of people we are, and hopefully Mrs. Karma notices as well.
If your pooch is no harm to others, and you clean up after him, then why shouldnt he be allowed a little freedom on the beach.

In a nutshell, go to the Oregon Coast, among the many other reasons to, your dog will love you for it.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #18

Oregon coast it is!!!! We love Oregon as well.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #19
MI Camperz

Really beautiful coast!
Love the idea of dogs being able to run free with their owners, but as a victim of a dog attack, that gives me mixed feelings. I was attacked at a campground, quite severe wounds and on antibiotics with every known side effect for 8 mos. combatting infections and infections on top of infections. I looooove dogs, but kinda like the leash laws. Ya never know. First time I publicly admitted that awful occurrence. Been healed awhile now.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #20
NELA

LOVE this!

In fact, Fred will be wearing his yellow ribbon *every* time we camp from now on. And I'll even look for a yellow leash and collar for him.

Fred has only snapped at a person once in his entire life with us, and that was when our grandson tried to stand up while pushing down on him, and we didn't know at the time that Fred was in intense pain (long story including a trip to LSU Veterinarian Hospital 4 years ago). That snap at our grandson ended up saving Fred's life. We *knew* it was out of character so we took him to the vet to find out what was going on. It was *bad* news, but after lots of TLC, buckets of tears when he was given two days to live there at LSU, many visits and treatments at the local vet's office, he's still with us.... chasin' squirrels like nobody's bidness!

BUT, he's a kid magnet. He is "different" in appearance; invariably people say they've never seen a dog so unique looking, he's friendly and always smiling, seriously, while out for walks. I beg children not to approach him, especially in groups, but it happens way too often. And to add to it, Fred never meets a stranger.

Dad always said; never say your kid won't lie, never say your horse won't kick and never say your dog won't bite. They'll make a liar out of you every time.

It makes me livid when parents stand there and watch as a group of their children rush my dog while I'm quickly backing up, and they say nothing to their children. He's always on a 6' leash with harness while out walking, and on a 25' cable stake-out with harness while outside the RV. Kids will rush into our camping space to pet him. I've considered adding to our space sign, something requesting that kids and adults not approach our dog. So far we've not had even a small issue while camping, but I want to prevent that ever happening.

And, I'd love to get a "Yellow Dog Project" sticker for the TV and/or RV even.

Sorry for the

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote