Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #1

Dogs and the Beach

OK...looking for opinions on letting dogs run without a leash on the beach.

Most locations if not all have leash laws. I'm also sure there are people who are afraid of dogs due to previous issues.

We have two labs that love running on the beach and we attempt to take them late or early to limit their interaction with others.q

But occasionally they see a person or another dog and want to go play (they're less than 3 years old so still get very excited).

Am I wrong for letting them run without a leash?

What do you all do?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #2

For me it depends on the beach .................. Leash laws are everywhere on the Gold Coast, but if its an isolated beach then I let them run till there hearts content.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #3

We have laws for reasons. I would never do it, because I don't want to face the
Consequences.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
NELA

Yep, all beaches have leash laws, and some even have NO dogs, period laws.

While in Tampa bay a couple months ago we let Fred go on to one of the NO dogs beaches, late evening (beautiful sunset, btw) for a brief period of time ON his leash, and we weren't the only people with a dog. In fact there were more dog paw tracks in the sand than there were human footprints.

Of course you should have a well trained dog in all instances. NEVER let your dog pee or poop on a beach.

And, we never allow our dog to drink salt water.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #5

We never let our dogs run loose unless it's on our own property or a proper dog park and even then you have to be careful. It's a safety issue for both your dog and anyone else or other animals around.

I've seen even the most well trained dogs take off on their owner if they get fixated on something.

We've had few dogs and always have taken them to obedience training. More for the socialization with other dogs and humans than the actual obedience training itself. Everyone of our instructors and there have been a few, has told us that the dogs should be kept on a leash when not in a controlled environment.

I use 30' and 50' tracking leads for ours at the beach. That way they can go in the water and swim or run around on the grass, but are still tethered to me if they decide to go after a rabbit or squirrel, etc. I can easily coil them up in my hand and use it as a 6' lead when around other people or dogs.

If your in an isolated area then it may be okay.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #6

We also have a Lab that loves, loves, loves the water and an English Setter that tolerates it. We never let them off leash but use a 20 or 30 foot training lead at the beach, unless there are a lot of other dogs/people, and then they are on their regular 6' leashes. They have no problem swimming or running with the long leads. They're protected, we're protected and so is everyone else at the beach.

Don and Laura + Critters, Eloise and Cooper
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #7

We always enjoyed Point Beach State Park, Wisconsin, along Lake Michigan. Very nice SP and they have a huge Dog Beach which dogs can run free and, well, just be dogs.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_J View Post
We never let our dogs run loose unless it's on our own property or a proper dog park and even then you have to be careful. It's a safety issue for both your dog and anyone else or other animals around.

I've seen even the most well trained dogs take off on their owner if they get fixated on something.

We've had few dogs and always have taken them to obedience training. More for the socialization with other dogs and humans than the actual obedience training itself. Everyone of our instructors and there have been a few, has told us that the dogs should be kept on a leash when not in a controlled environment.

I use 30' and 50' tracking leads for ours at the beach. That way they can go in the water and swim or run around on the grass, but are still tethered to me if they decide to go after a rabbit or squirrel, etc. I can easily coil them up in my hand and use it as a 6' lead when around other people or dogs.

If your in an isolated area then it may be okay.

Just my opinion.
Completely agree. I wouldn't even let mine run loose on my own property unless I was assured it could not get into the road or be attacked by other dogs/animals. Our dog is never out of our control. As others have said, this protects our dog and the rights of others.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #9

Many Oregon beaches have no leash laws. We always let our border collies off leash if there aren't crowds. Just be sure it is legal and clean up after them.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
We always enjoyed Point Beach State Park, Wisconsin, along Lake Michigan. Very nice SP and they have a huge Dog Beach which dogs can run free and, well, just be dogs.
I had forgot about that beach. Thanks for the reminder as we are up that way often with our dogs. Another one for you if you camp Door County is the Whitefish Dunes dog beach (beware though - they should be on a leash by park rules but everyone seems to let their dogs run into the surf chasing balls so I've never actually seen a leash used on the beach).

OP - this link might be helpful for you... Dog Friendly Beaches | Off-Leash Dog Beach | Pet Friendly Beaches

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote