Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #41
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
Goldens are so great labs are pretty amazing as well.Attachment 197395
This is our pair too. Fluffy sweet Golden. Spoiled rotten black lab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180824_162934.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	197404  
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #42

We camp at state parks and it seems there's always a sign driving into the camp grounds that reminds campers to keep their pets leashed at all times. Unfortunately, while walking around the campgrounds last year, we were charged by dogs off-leash when we walked past their camp sites.

They can be the friendliest dog while at their owners site, but when someone walks by, they get territorial and run off-site. Not cool.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:16 PM   #43
Scoundrel

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 12.10.29 PM.png
Views:	125
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	197409  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
This is our pair too. Fluffy sweet Golden. Spoiled rotten black lab.
That's too funny. Our golden Maya is the spoiled brat still super sweet and Chevelle the black lab is the super sweet and live to please.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
We have a Golden Retriever that just sits and watches all the people and dogs walk by and never makes a sound. Now if we could just get the Millennial parents to replace their kids with Golden Retrievers the camp grounds would be very peaceful.
This is why we only will have a golden retriever.
Ours was the same way. Ignored other dogs and NEVER barked at them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #46

Thanks for all the replies guys & gals!
DewNut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #47

Dogs

I'm paranoid too about my dog barking. She starts when we slow down approaching checkin and doesn't stop until I take her out of the car. EVERY time, I wonder if someone will ask us to leave before I can get backed in and level. Then I take her out of the car, we sniff around and I can put her back in and she's quiet. I have only run in to a few off leash dogs and usually the owners are extremely embarrassed, but I politely explain that I compete with my dog and can NOT have her socializing with other dogs unless I give the command. I use the Garmin bark limiter when I leave her in the camper, with the radio and fan on (A/C too if hot out) with note on unlocked door. I also use the bark collar when going through customs - just can't hear their questions with her trying to put in her two cents. Some toll takers jump back and others hand me a cookie! I just be as polite about it and recognize not all people like dogs - especially GSDs.
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja View Post
I'm paranoid too about my dog barking. She starts when we slow down approaching checkin and doesn't stop until I take her out of the car. EVERY time, I wonder if someone will ask us to leave before I can get backed in and level. Then I take her out of the car, we sniff around and I can put her back in and she's quiet. I have only run in to a few off leash dogs and usually the owners are extremely embarrassed, but I politely explain that I compete with my dog and can NOT have her socializing with other dogs unless I give the command. I use the Garmin bark limiter when I leave her in the camper, with the radio and fan on (A/C too if hot out) with note on unlocked door. I also use the bark collar when going through customs - just can't hear their questions with her trying to put in her two cents. Some toll takers jump back and others hand me a cookie! I just be as polite about it and recognize not all people like dogs - especially GSDs.
Katja, I'm going to send you a PM. My son is wanting a German Shepherd, and you sound like the right person to talk to.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #49
Mopar Guy

this year I will also be camping with my 2 GSDs one is 9 and barks about once a month. The other is 6 months old and just learning about his voice...

We are working hard to control his barking but obviously I am worried about it. But what I have found is that certain things get him to stop. such as an ice cube.

That being said, I try to camp farther off the main runs in a campground so that the dogs have less distractions.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #50
(Dry Huunday)

Raised correctly a GSD will be a great companion, just like EVERY breed of dog. I've lived with many many different breeds and none of them were ever aggressive or attacked anyone.
Well.....except for my Gramma's Chihuahua....that thing was just mean! We were all thankful that he wasn't the size of our Doberman.....including the Doberman!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #51

Dogs - Disturbing Neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja View Post
I'm paranoid too about my dog barking. She starts when we slow down approaching checkin and doesn't stop until I take her out.... I use the Garmin bark limiter when I leave her in the camper.

May I ask why you don’t use the bark deterrent when pulling in? My little guy started a thing where as soon as I turn off the ignition, he would start barking (predicting that fun was about to happen) so I’ve started leaving his on in the car and it’s rectified the problem...
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #52

I understand those fears. We have 3 Norwegian Elkhounds who... well... have bark at everything in their blood.

1 is trained well & we can quite down easily, 1 in training & the 3rd just refuses to listen. To anything but her voice. I know they'll bark while we're out riding around ATV parks, but my worry is while there in the camp & having them out of the trailer for air/potty breaks, people like to "talk" to dogs they see or make eye contact and say "awww" - This just riles them up x100.

I'll have to come back & reread all of this thread once we make our trailer purchase.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #53

I moved from the suburbs to a very rural area where I have substantial acreage in part owing to the incessant barking dogs. I grate my teeth about noise pollution.

I have a beagle. He doesn't bark unless he sees a squirrel or dear.

YOU are the kind of dog owners everyone should strive to be.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #54

Dogs bark cats meow kids get Into ****. Be cool don't worry. Don't let other people's anxiety be yours. If you have a good dog you know it. Besides your back home in a couple weeks anyway. Now if you have a trouble maker. It's up to you to get it straight. But your not camping to cs stress.
Jomo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #55

If we have to leave our pets we make sure the windows are closed,,,ac or fans on,,, maybe a tv,,, and we NEVER lock the trailer doors in case of an emergency and our "KIDS" need help. All my camp grounds are dog friendly,, with restraint. Ocasonally we get a stuffy with indirect comments but the rule of thumb is not to have a constantly yapping pet left in your trailer. If they are that bad,,,have respect and take them with you.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 08:45 PM   #56

I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
The one time I can recall having a problem keeping my guys quiet was in a hellishly crowded state park when an unsupervised 5-6 year old girl from quite a few campsites away decided it was fun to scream and ride her hot wheels-type ride-on car back and forth in front of my site only. It was over their “ignore that” threshold but it wasn’t the dogs making me crazy, it was the kid! But complaining about noisy kids is frowned upon more than complaining about barking dogs, so I just stayed inside or hiked a lot instead of relaxing at my site. Calm blue sea...
1st week in Fla. Our dog (boxer) was attacked by a pit bull (killed a dog the same week). It's a great campground but who knows what will happen. Our dog became very aggressive after that and had to use a shocker. Then we had girls in early teens go by an taunted her. Fortunately I'd left my gun at home, more tempted using on myself! Camping with your pets is a challenge, if you didn't love them you wouldn't do it, but I still wonder why some people do.
Tomban is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #57

Dogs will be dogs

As a pet sitter and somebody that takes the dogs with them camping. If it doesn’t go to excess. No worries. It’s those people that sit there in their lawn chairs and their dogs are just yapping and yapping and yapping. Without even trying do you hush the dogs. Are those people that have their dogs tied up to their RVs, while they’re there in side, and just let them be extremely loud. Just like loud music, you have to consider your neighbors. And if your dogs keep yapping or barkin, then you’re the bad guy for not teaching them otherwise.
TrixieS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Truthfully, I'm not a dog person. I just don't have that gene that looks at dogs as anything more than a meal in a right situation.

There's a difference between a dog that barks constantly (with and without you there) and one that barks occasionally. Dogs will be dogs.

Keep it leashed, keep it's "messes" picked up, and I think anyone would be hard pressed to complain.

Oh, and please don't be constantly yelling/shouting at it. Train it so you don't have to scream at it.

Heck, I live by the same rules with my kids.
Truth be told it's more often =noisy, unleashed kids that create more of an issue than dogs.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #59
The Driver

We are not paranoid. Out Yorkie barks and we lead her out for a meet and greet and no more barking. Might make some new friends also.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2019, 09:19 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
We have a Golden Retriever that just sits and watches all the people and dogs walk by and never makes a sound. Now if we could just get the Millennial parents to replace their kids with Golden Retrievers the camp grounds would be very peaceful.
AMEN to that, no matter whether millennials or otherwise (grand parents????).