Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #21

Barking

I don’t know the size, breed, or disposition of your dogs. A dog the barks once and then settls down may be ok. One that jumps up and charges the street barking and making all kinds of agressive noise is not ok. I have a dog, did have two intill she died. Never had a problem. They ignore other dogs and people unless they come into his space. Then a sniff os all it takes to make him happy. Train them young and be
consistent.
A barking dog is not a well behaved dog
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #22
Erinn

We have 3 min schnauzers. We initially got a "doggy pen" (avail thru Amazon, for about $90) for them. It came w/8 three ft sections; you can "arrange" them however you wish. Liked it so much, we got another, so now we can "attach" a huge pen, to the door side of our motor home.

Well..... they still weren't super comfortable w/it (cried & wanted out, when our chairs were just a few ft away), so we finally got smart & put our bbq, table, chairs, & OURSELVES in the pen, w/them - works like a charm! (Other campers walk by laughing, & ask us if WE are in a time out!)

However... when out in the pen alone, if someone walks by (especially w/a dog in tow), they sometimes begin to bark - they are then given a warning (we simply say, "No bark!" which usually calms them). If not, they get 1 more warning, then get brought inside.

No one deserves to listen to dogs constantly barking, but I don't think a "woof-woof or two" is going to disturb anyone!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #23
Erinn

Thanks for saying that cuz truthfully, I am NOT a kid person; never wanted any & never had any!

I can't tell you the number of times unruly kids have run right thru our campsite, gone screaming by on their bikes (I was nearly hit once!), are hollering & screwing around (un-monitored by an adult!) way past curfew hours, & have been at the pool or sauna, w-a-y-y-y past "kiddy hours."

I only wish parents & grandparents worried about their kids HALF as much as I worry about my dogs disturbing others; sigh.....
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #24

I'm paranoid about my little dog barking also. She only barks at our site when another dog walks by, not people, but I always get her right away so it's never more than a couple barks. We never leave her outside the camper unattended, for more than 2 minutes if I have to go in and grab something or use the bathroom.

It's certainly not uncommon though, since when we go for a nightly walk, most other sites with dogs bark at ours when we walk by. Some are like me and catch it right away and others don't even acknowledge their dog is barking. I couldn't do that.

The thing that gets to me is what SunseekerFunseekers mention and that's kids that cut right through our campsite. I've had them cut through when I'm sitting right there in my chair, I mean who does that!

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2019, 09:08 PM   #25

No

I am not a animal lover either. I have a neighbor whose dog barks every time they let it outside and every time I walk out my back door. So when I go camping I don’t want to listen to another one. I find most campers are good though, better than my neighbors.
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #26

bad Dogs

We don't believe there are bad dogs, just bad owners. We camp with three greyhounds and wouldn't travel without them. But we expect them to be quiet, respectful and always on leash.

I think you just have to be respectful of the rights of others to enjoy their campsite without hearing your dog, your kid or your loud music. Most pet owners know this.

We camped next door to a family who tied their dog out at their camper and left for the day. Bark, bark, bark. Very rude. Violated the state park rules too. Worse, sometimes people tie dogs out in sun with no water. leave them for the day to suffer. Not a bad dog, a bad owner. Feel sorry for the pet. As with dogs locked in a hot car, we call the authorities.

Sometimes people think bad behavior by a small dog is cute. Behaviors not tolerated in a big breed dog should not be tolerated in a small dog. If a dog charges you off leash, or tries to nip you or your pets, or barks incessantly like they want to tear your head off, even if it's a small dog, it's not cute, it's disrespectful. In our case, our greyhounds may think your small dog is a small game aninmal to be chased and eaten. While we always keep our dogs on leash in our own space, it's hard to protect a small animal (read small dog) which runs into the jaws of a big dog because the owner isn't paying attention or isn't protecting his/her own dog. We had a small dog run up our steps and into our camper one afternoon. It was not a bad dog; it was a bad owner.

Sometimes we'll have a small dog owner allow his dog to run up to our dogs -- either off leash or on a 30 foot flexi-lead-- and we'll call out to say, "Please keep your dog back, he could get hurt." They'll often say, "Don't worry, he's friendly!" as if we're worried about our greyhounds. If the dog's owner does not protect him, it's not the dog's fault.

Same with big dogs. I am not encouraged by big dogs which are tied out at their campsite which charge you snarling as you walk by. If that rope breaks, someone is going to have a problem. Not the dog's fault.

Owners of pets have to be responsible and protect their pet. It's all on them. There are no bad dogs. There are sometimes bad owners.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 02:29 AM   #27

Dog

I have a very active dog. We walk him at least 2-3 miles a day, just to take the edge off. I always try to get a site w/ space around it or next to a quiet area away from trail heads.. We have a Vizsla, Hungarian pointer retriever. If he sees a squirrel he is going to bark until we tell him to "leave it". He is still a pup and we try hard to keep him from bothering anyone. He is like the Energizer Bunny and makes friends everywhere we go and makes people laugh. If I do not walk fast enough for him, he "Bunny Hops" 2' in the air. Or at least they laugh at me trying to keep him inline going in a generally straight direction.
I understand your concern, but have found people to be very understanding if you are trying to be a good neighbor.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFunseekers View Post
We have 3 min schnauzers. We initially got a "doggy pen" (avail thru Amazon, for about $90) for them. It came w/8 three ft sections; you can "arrange" them however you wish. Liked it so much, we got another, so now we can "attach" a huge pen, to the door side of our motor home.

Well..... they still weren't super comfortable w/it (cried & wanted out, when our chairs were just a few ft away), so we finally got smart & put our bbq, table, chairs, & OURSELVES in the pen, w/them - works like a charm! (Other campers walk by laughing, & ask us if WE are in a time out!)

However... when out in the pen alone, if someone walks by (especially w/a dog in tow), they sometimes begin to bark - they are then given a warning (we simply say, "No bark!" which usually calms them). If not, they get 1 more warning, then get brought inside.

No one deserves to listen to dogs constantly barking, but I don't think a "woof-woof or two" is going to disturb anyone!

We have two mini schnauzers and we do the same thing you do with pop up kennels. The neighbors laugh when they see us sitting in it with them, but it keeps the dogs happy and quiet. I don’t like to hear my own dogs barking so I’m sure others don’t as well.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #29

We have a Golden Retriever that just sits and watches all the people and dogs walk by and never makes a sound. Now if we could just get the Millennial parents to replace their kids with Golden Retrievers the camp grounds would be very peaceful.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #30

I love animals and am fond of dogs and cats. Owning them as a pet and a companion is fine.
A dog becomes annoying when left alone and it starts whimper, whine and bark.
If you have a dog, you need to accept responsibility for it. Owning a dog is a lot of work and requires full time care and attention, much like a small child requires. Leaving a dog alone means they will get into mischief and create disturbances. Be aware of the surrounding environment that could be affected by the presence of the dog.
Often the biggest problem with dogs are the owners themselves...the annoying dog is a reflection of the owner.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
We have a Golden Retriever that just sits and watches all the people and dogs walk by and never makes a sound. Now if we could just get the Millennial parents to replace their kids with Golden Retrievers the camp grounds would be very peaceful.
Goldens are so great labs are pretty amazing as well.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_210028.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	197395
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #32

bad dogs

The thing that bothers us the most is the use of flexi-leads. I have never seen a campground rules list that didn't say that dogs must be kept on a 6 foot leash, flexi-leads are all over 6 feet long and the people who use them seem not to know where the stop on their lead is! Our greyhounds are always on a lead but as has been mentioned, they just might think breakfast if a tiny "friendly" dog on a flexi-lead runs up to them.
Shamrock 21SS
pennypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #33

Every one here that has shared a thought appears to respect others and their time away.

It’s the “owners “ that act as if the rules were designed for everyone else.

Our major frustration is when either walking (or in campsite) and up runs an unleashed pet. My 3,as a pack, go into protect mom and dad mode and bark and stand their ground. So now I’m managing to keep my 3 safe and the other dogs owner finally comes over and says wow-,you shouldn’t have such aggressive dogs here. My response- well the camphost doesn’t seem to mind them and the rangers have met them too so why don’t you speak with them about your issue of not having a lead or leash?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #34
Gold Tee Box

DW has had some very bad experiences with dogs, so we are very cautious especially when going for walks and dogs are loose or on a long leash.

This campground lays out their rules very clearly.
  • Our insurance provider requirements are that we cannot accept breeds having a history of unfriendly and aggressive behavior to both other dogs and to humans. These breeds are Dobermans, Chows, Pit bulls, Rottweiler’s, Akitas, Wolf Hybrids or crossbreeds thereof. If you have one of these breeds, please call to discuss your situation.
  • No more than 2 pets per site are permitted. One included in site fee.
  • Visitors of guests are not permitted to bring pets into the campground.
  • All pets should have proper papers and/or tags of vaccinations.
  • Pets should never be left unattended including inside your RV.
  • Pets must be on a short leash at all times when being walked or on a strong durable leash that will not allow pet to extend off the campsite in any direction.
  • Pets creating a disturbance or being a nuisance will not be tolerated.
  • IMPORTANT: All pet droppings are the responsibility of the pet owner. Not picking up after your pet is a reason to be asked to leave our campground.
  • No pets are allowed in the Store, Cabins, and Restrooms, Swimming areas or playgrounds according to the State Health Department.
  • Children under the age of 10 will not be allowed to walk pets unsupervised in the campground.
  • We encourage all dog owners to call in advance to inquire about any specific rules that might apply to their pet.
  • Service dogs of any breed are welcome. However, these animals must follow the leash policies and may not exhibit aggressive behavior.
  • If camping in one of our rentals AND you MUST bring your pet, we can help you locate a local pet sitter.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #35

I don't remember the last time we stayed at an RV park and didn't witness a dogfight. What cracks me up is when all dogs are on a leash, but the owners want them to meet.
I've also seen folks walking their dog on a leash, but allow them to pee on everything or anywhere, including spigots at open spaces!!!!

We report any dog not on a leash or in some type of enclosure at a public RV park. I don't care if your furbaby is friendly and is sitting at your feet, they usually chase my bicycle when I go by.

And this thread reminds me of why we boondock in the backwoods most of the time
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
This campground lays out their rules very clearly.
  • Our insurance provider requirements are that we cannot accept breeds having a history of unfriendly and aggressive behavior to both other dogs and to humans. These breeds are Dobermans, Chows, Pit bulls, Rottweiler’s, Akitas, Wolf Hybrids or crossbreeds thereof. If you have one of these breeds, please call to discuss your situation.
I hate CGs that unilaterally discriminate against specific breeds.

We have a rot and she's a big baby. In fact if she hears yelling and thinks she's in trouble, she will cower and run away. Yet she's always the one on the "not allowed" list.

Then we have a shar-pei/pug mix who is extremely high strung and thinks she has to bark at everyone and everything.

Neither are aggressive but of the 2, the rot is better behaved by far.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #37

We have to be active dog parents. My dog is my constant companion but she does bark at everything and everybody just to let them know she’s here. Usually just a few barks and she is very obedient and stops quickly when we tell her. If we see people walking by we usually tell her not to bark and that usually works.

Our mistake at one campground we left her inside but left a window open and she did disturb our neighbor. The gentleman was very angry when we returned and profuse apologies had no effect. When we left her again all windows were closed, shades drawn and AC & radio on. This is our practice whenever we leave her.

Few days later as the gentleman was leaving I apologized again and asked if the dog had been any further problem. He responded that he had not heard her again but then profusely told me how terrible it was and we could be kicked out of some campgrounds. Some people cannot be satisfied.

We routinely ask neighbors now if they heard our dog and have never heard another concern.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #38
Site Team

We all have a dog story I'm sure. We're animal lovers and don't mind your dog as long as it behaves.

I am reminded of an incident or 2.
We were camping in the Hoosier national forest in a campground. Early one morning I was walking a lap around the cg. Out of nowhere a large dog came running and snarling at me. I thought I was a gonner and raised my arm to try and protect my face. Thank god the owner was outside and yelled at the dog just in time. He made no apology even though I was really shaken.

Later on my wife and I were hiking a trail that we'd enjoyed many times before. We rounded a bend and came face to face with a young couple each with a large dog on a leash. Both dogs immediately lunged at us snarling and barking viciously. We were both shaken. Why on earth would they want a pair of such aggressive dogs in beyond my comprehension.
My point is simply your fur baby might be the stuff of someone else's nightmare.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Oh, and please don't be constantly yelling/shouting at it. Train it so you don't have to scream at it.
My friend used to be like this with her dogs, her yelling at the dogs was much worse than the dogs barking or whatever small infraction they were getting yelled at about.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #40
MCTroy

Trying to be good fog parents

I share your concern about noisy dogs. The best compliment I get is even someone says they didn't know we even had dogs with us.
When we set up camp I try to say hello to our neighbors and if the neighbors are willing, I introduce our retrievers. Our dogs love everyone. Then I ask them to please let me know if the dogs disturbed them. I have never gotten a complaint and I think it helps knowing that we care and are trying to be good neighbors ourselves.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply