Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

Fido in our MH...?

Am happy I read this interesting thread re certain "house" rules as per dog friendly CG's...esp. about bringing their rabies records.

Just bought a MH last August and most recently a 1-yr. old LabraDoodle female who is as sweet as can be. We haven't hit the road with her in the Solera but are looking forward to that this Spring once the tundra unthaws here in SW Ohio. Anyway...seems like a lot of things have changed re dog rules since we used to camp with kids and dog about 20 yrs. ago, in-state, and elsewhere. The only problemo we had was when we tried to go into Canada with the pooch and did not have her records, or realize that we needed them. Needless to say we viewed Niagra Falls from the American side. BUT, all good idea's and hints from what I've read thus far...

I do have a few questions for anybody willing to bend my ear tho...

1. What is the best and safest way to secure "Olivia" in our 25' Class C when
running down the road to destination? Don't want to risk putting her
between us up front of course. The overhead bunk is also out I assume.
Would attaching a restraint to the seat belts on the side-facing couch be
the answer and place her bed on the floor below that? Don't want her to
become a projectile as she weighs around 50 lbs. at this point. We have
a common layout with galley on the opposite side, double bed in back
corner and bath room on other side of bed in other corner. Advice?

2. Other than the usual stuff associated with dogs, including shot records,
plenty of towels for wet days, anything else that I should consider or
might overlook that might not be obvious at the outset? Pick your brains
for this one please.

Hope someone can lend any advice. I'm all ears... Thnx...PB
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #2

Willie, our 21# Shih Tzu/Doxie mix, rides in his soft-sided crate under the dinette. Not 100% secure, but better than on the side-facing sofa where he prefers to be.
Other than the essentials you listed above, don't forget her favorite toy, or something familiar that will help her adjust to being in the MH. Willie also prefers when I bring his regular water bowl, but will eventually drink out of the smaller bowl we keep in the pantry.
You probably already do this, but make sure you have a good stash of doggy doo bags. The fastest way to make enemies in a CG is to not clean up after your dog.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

Pixelbum1, you may want to carry something for car sickness in case there is a need. We were on the side of road cleaning up a pile of mess when a OPP ( police) pulled over to see what was wrong, he gave us a product from Zep chemical company that you sprinkle on the mess and it absorbs it, taking away the smell and making it easier to clean up. Not sure if you dog is OK in vehicle you may want to try short rides first.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #4

We travel with 7 dogs. All ride in airline crates, a motorhome is still a vehicle and if it stops short or is in an accident they can be injured, though we have the bunk beds with six crates hooked up the remaining crate rides under the bench table. In the past with a different motorhome we did lock one crate in the handle of the airline crate in the seatbelt of the couch. The others were stacked and secured into the bench table lowered to a bed.

Other items we have brought along is a small write up on each dog in case of emergency. What if any medical issues they have and medications needed. I also made up a first aid kit just for the dogs. Toys, x pens, extra leashes, bottled water (I don't trust water I don't know).

Campgrounds have been great, as long as they are quiet, don't disturb others and are cleaned up after. They have camped with us throughout the east coast and across to Missouri.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

Thanks all for the great doggie advice. I take this all to heart but also put it into my "notes" section of my iPhone! Interesting comment about the ZEP product and will investigate that. Olivia loves to ride in the car and we brought her in from Virginia and over the W. Va. turnpike to Ohio without any problems.
I figure that trip would have been the "test" but we also made sure that we only fed her lightly before leaving and gave her water on demand, when needed.

I am seriously thinking about getting a stabilizer bar for my MH to help it's highway manners around the semi's and also to make a more stable platform for the dog. Win-win I hope. Thanks again and Happy Trails to you! -PB
Old 01-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #6

I like the write-up idea for the pooch! I assume this is a short medical history which is a good idea. However, what is an 'x' pen that you mentioned...something like a styptic pen that we guys use on our faces whenever we cut ourselves shaving? Anybody who travels with 7 dogs is undoubtedly a DEDICATED dog lover so kudo's to you! Hopefully they all don't try to jump in bed with you when time to sleep...ha ha? Thanks and Happy Trails to you! -PB
Old 01-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #7

X Pens are the portable wire fences that can be set up in a square or whatever shape you need to make, they come in different heights are very convenient and set up nicely in a dining shelter or overhang.
I used to travel with 3 dogs not as patient as schnauzermom but interesting at times before I left home I would make lost dog posters with pictures, descriptions, phone numbers and a fill in the blank area in the event any of my dogs got away on me on a trip. A bit anal I suppose but it gave me piece of mind to know I could put up a poster in the campground and get my dog back as quickly as possible also especially important as one of my dogs was born deaf and it would be dangerous for her to run loose.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #8

We ran all over the country and canada/mexico with the KW MH pulling the race boat.We had our two boys,that pretty much grew up liveing that way all summer and two bichons and a himalayan cat. The cat usually rode on the dash (right in the middle) and the dogs wherever they wanted to be. At one point Tinker (the cat) had a litter of kits under my seat! I tried to move them to a nice basket so I could drive the truck but she wasnt haveing it. She could move them back just as fast as I could take them out! We sat in one park (and missed a race) for over a week untill she would move them..Always had rabies and license tags on the dogs and Tinker's papers with us but were never ask for either,in mex or canada. Of course this was in the 70's, and 80's ! None of the beasties would leave the coach unless ask to,even when it would sit all day with the doors open at times. Now we have the husky and an aussie.They ride in the area of the truck that originally the back seat. We put them on leashes hooked to the toy hauler ramp hinges. Thier "beds" are in the garage along with thier dishes but at night they have free run of the trailer.They do have rabies and license tags, but again,no one has ask to see them.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #9

We travel with two dogs, one big and one small. They ride in our truck, so I cannot help with how to handle them in your rig. Most of our friends with dogs and Class A's keep their dogs kenneled when going down the road. One thing that I do not think I saw mentioned in the take along list for your dog is a tie out. We use a screw in stake and coated lines for our pooches, so they are able to be with us when we are at the campsite. Otherwise, they are on leashes and walking with us, or inside. It is helpful to have a little flashlight at the ready, for when you do the last walk of the night and a few dedicated towels, for wet weather. And, enjoy!!

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #10

Talking Traveling with Pets

Hi All -
New to the group! We camp in our Sandpiper Destination model on the Ohio River. Love the full time camping! We travel with 3 dogs all the time in our customized Toyota Sienna Van. I thought I'd throw out some things that we do with the van. Needless to say - our Destination is set up as home #2 - so packing it up for the dogs isn't an issue. Our Toyota has a xlarge x-pen mounted to a large sheet of plywood and attached to the middle passenger seat bars. All seats are removed - other than the front two. I refer to it as "I Dream of Jeannie's Bottle". Things that we pack up when traveling are: 5 gallons of water from home (I always use home or bottled). Other water treatment areas might upset pups stomachs - not pretty! Medical/shot sheets for all dogs with emergency contacts (list 3 with phone numbers) and vet information. Health conditions, etc... With a guarantee message that emergency vet bills will be paid in the event of a car accident and/or emergency. I put all sheets for one animal in a clear paper protector and attach to both sides of the cage (one for each dog). Each dog's packet has it's picture on it. They are attached to the xpen with bright colored survey's tape. It rips off easily in an emergency. A pair of wire cutters and gloves - in case of emergency extractment of dogs in car wreck. Poo bags, towels for rainy stops, cooler jacket (for hot days), extra leads/collars, medicines, flashlight, Rescue Remedy for water bucket (which is attached to xpen - so they can't dump it), ramp for old dogs getting in/out, and a fan. One thing that would be nice once you reach your destination would be a fence of some sort at your camp spot. So fido can come and go from the motor home and have his only little yard. A fan and extension cord would be nice too. Our camper yard is fenced on the deck and then we run large lattice panels on the side for movable doors. Works nicely! Happy traveling! Becky
caesarbernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #11

The only different thing we do is we have a toy box for our little guy and it stays in the trailer at all times. Toys that keep him occupied and he is happy to see them (kind of like seeing a loved friend after being separated for a long time). We have a note book with 2 pictures of our guy, full face and side view, medical papers, rabies certificate, emergency contacts, type and brand of food he eats (allergies). We keep a set of these for each of the animals that we own.
The DH put an I bolt on each step (the had hole was there already) and we can give him a secure area to run, we carry a 25' and a 12' runner (the 12' foot will hook on each step) we then run the 12' runner in the handle of a leash if we have tight quarters while camping. He then has the full side of the trailer to run but can only go out 6' from the trailer.
The most important thing I put on the window is a sign that says "PLEASE SAVE OUR PETS" DOG DEAF JACK RUSSELL You never know what will happen.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #12

2 major things to keep peace in the camp ground ......poo bags and leash ! ! after that everything is incidental ! ! ! !
from a
KOA campworker
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #13

Absolutely agree with the leash and poop bags! One thing I'm not thrilled about is having to clean up after someone else's dog. I have enough of my own! Just booked a bunch of campgrounds we have been to before. They all remembered us. . . In a good way. Hard to forget with 7.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #14

Omg everyone and Becky I feel like bad mom but we have traveled with dogs for years.the emergency papers are clever.I'll get that typed up.this topic can be sensitive and we've gone round and round on it on another forum. Cloey and zoey are our first motor home dogs since we had travel trailers previously.we've been doing this long before there were harnesses and seats for dogs in the same way I'm still alive in spite of having grown up without car seats, seat belts and a mom who smoked during pregnancy. This is jmho..My girls are nervous.doc have a script for long rides.they need the comfort of mommy so I strap us all in as best as I can.as someone said on another forum, we don't have airbags do we'd all probably die and I'd rather they feel safe while they are alive.lol but for those who can do carriers that's great.We bought one thinking it would work but it didn't seem any safe. Happy trails.We all Adore our furbabies probably one reason we travel this way.ps..the corral is fantastic.We bought two and put them together.it's a great place for them to go potty and sit with them. They are never left alone...not for a second. Also lol if doggie eats hard to find food like ours do bring lots.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #15
Team Bleu

I have A class, took the lounge chairs and put a big kennel crate and locked it into the floor. I travel with Border Collies and Australian Shepherd for show, they are my Master agility dogs. Same as in my SUV, they are always crated. The crate has bumpers just like the ones for a baby crib. On the outside of the crate there are folders, each folder contains information on me, my contact and all about the dogs, photos, micro chip numbers and original Rabie certificate for each one with all updated medical, except I follow injection particles, so the only thing listed is the NYS Rabies. My dogs also travel with fabric collars that include their name and my cell phone number for travel. Since I travel from Maine to Florida and midwest, my RV and SUV are always equipment with everything possible for my dogs, more there for, foods, treats, poop bags, paper dishes to feed, extra cooler if I'm gone a long time, only because I feed Raw all type of leashes, pop up crates, toys, etc. I carry two first aid kits full of stuff. Gallons of water, fans, lanterns jackets for hot weather, cold weather, oh damn there hundreds more, been told I'm prepared for my dogs than some people are with their kids.
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #16

By the list I can tell you travel to canine events. Always impressed with Agility dogs, mine just have to stand and look pretty in the ring. Good luck with the competitions! Saw some agility at Purina Farms in 2013.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #17
Team Bleu

Love Purina Farms, I have BC getting ready for the show ring. Good luck in the show rings
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

After 5yrs traveling I don't know if I could go without my X-pen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mississippi 15May11.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	68237  
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
After 5yrs traveling I don't know if I could go without my X-pen.

I totally agree about x-pens, we are heading to Hilton Head, SC this spring, wanted to try a camping resort we hadn't stayed at but read the rules and they don't allow x-pens. We're staying at a resort we have previously stayed and really liked.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1420983935.427009.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	68303

Old 01-16-2015, 07:48 AM   #20

We have two 60 lb dogs that go with us. Whenever they go in the truck, we put a travel harness on them that attaches with a short leash to the seat belt.
Would suggest you get something like this to "anchor" the dog. Can be bought at
almost any pet store. Comes in different sizes, probably the xlarge would fit Olivia.
I don't want my dog flying around and possibly flying forward if something should
happen. Is comfortable for them, they can still move around somewhat, can also
attach leash to the harness to walk them.

Guard your pets. Not everyone treats their pets with as much love as you do. When people approach my dogs, I always keep an eye on my dog. Dogs are just
like people. They don't like everyone. My dogs are friendly but they can sense
critters they don't like!!

My vet recommends Dramamine for car sickness and for calming.

I don't leave my pets for very long in the camper. My Dalmatian howls!! But, if we
do leave for short periods, and the a/c isn't running, we turn on the fan to create
some noise.
Dogs need time to get used to camping, just like people do!

Pets are good company but just remember to keep your pets in mind while you are
away from the camper, regardless of how safe you think they are.

Every day is a day closer to camping!!!!!
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote