Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

First camping trip turned into a nightmare

We were looking forward to our first trip in our new-to-us TT. We made reservations for Monday evening through Thursday at a local state park that we have camped in the last 6 years in our pop-up that we used to have. Our Cocker Spaniel Buddy loved to camp so we were looking forward to introducing him to the new TT. Things did not go well from the first day. He had been having problems with his back legs for the past year and it was progressively getting worse. I figured he would not be able to get in the camper by himself so we would lift him in and out. But by the second day, he could hardly stand up and when he did, his legs would go out from under him. We took him the our vet the next day on Wednesday. She said it looked like he had either a severe muscle problem in his legs or a neurological problem. She said she could put him on high doses of pain meds but that would not have helped his walking or standing. We had to make the heart wrenching decision of putting him to sleep. He was only 11 years old but had Cushings Disease which wreaked havoc on his whole body. I am still in shock and denial and my heart is broken. Pulling up to the campsite after coming from the vet was a nightmare, seeing his chain and all his things there but he was gone. When we left the campsite to come home yesterday, I felt like I was leaving him there. I don't know how camping is ever going to be the same without him. He was our camping buddy for 6 years and I know every time we go camping, it's going to be so difficult without him there. Right now I don't even have any desire to go camping again. I don't know how to make things better.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #2

That's a sad deal losing pets. I'm sorry for your loss.

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
(Dry Huunday)

So so sorry for your loss.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
He was only 11 years old but had Cushings Disease which wreaked havoc on his whole body. I am still in shock and denial and my heart is broken.
Losing a pet is never easy and it stays with you for a very long time.

Our 14 year old has had Cushings and Diabetes for the past five years. We are fortunate enough financially to be able to provide good treatment. As his time with us is growing short, he has his good and bad days. Yesterday he went for a two mile walk. Some days he walks for a few feet and gets carried the rest of the way.

So sorry for your loss.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #5

Sorry for your loss. I have had to do thesame myself. The first camping trip without my dog was tough to say the least.I'm sure it’s the farthest thing from your mind right now, but I ended up withanother SPCA rescue mutt who likes to go on our adventures. He didn't "replace" my old dog, he is just carrying on his legacy.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #6

Those little guys sure have a way of wrapping themselves around our hearts.

I know how you're feeling having been thru the same.

My hope is that when it's my turn to pass to the next life, I'll be pleasantly surprised to see them waiting with tails wagging and a ball to play with.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #7

Very Sorry.
I've made that decision, more than once.
RIP Buddy, you are pain free.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #8

So sorry for your loss. You will needs lots of time to grieve before things start to get better.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
My hope is that when it's my turn to pass to the next life, I'll be pleasantly surprised to see them waiting with tails wagging and a ball to play with.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #10

3 dog family. The old Bishon is 14...two back surgeries, the last one 7 years ago. He was fading in the last few years...until we found a vet that treats his bouts within severe arthritis with holistic and regular meds. He's like a renewed dog now...spoiled but a real trooper. Teeth are going bad and we know his time is nearing, but he still loves camping. At least we know that we gave him a good home, and take comfort in the friendship he has provided. We won't let him suffer when the time comes. I still watch videos when he was a pup chasing the last great friend we had to put down. We will always have fond memories of the many furry friends we have have had in our 42 years of married life.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #11

Our fur babies leave the paw prints on our hearts. People without pets don't understand, they are not just dogs and cats they are part of our family.

I have a little dog now that goes nuts when we get the freezer bag out because she knows we are going camping, I don't even want to think about her leaving me

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #12

Don't wait to long to get another one, we've always had dogs as part of our pack; we're probably their pack ... to us we're their whole lives and when they leave it is an empty spot. There are many out there who need your love
toxophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
Our fur babies leave the paw prints on our hearts. People without pets don't understand, they are not just dogs and cats they are part of our family.

I have a little dog now that goes nuts when we get the freezer bag out because she knows we are going camping, I don't even want to think about her leaving me
My Buddy also knew when we were going to be leaving to go camping. As we carried things from the house to the camper. he would sit in front of the door to the foyer as to tell us not to leave without him. He was so attached to my husband and I, that he stayed by our side always. I didn't know how I was going to get through the euthanasia part but I put him first and held him in my arms as he passed. I couldn't bare the thought of leaving him alone with strangers at a time like that. As of right now, I don't think I will ever get another dog. I don't ever want to have to go through this again. Thank you all for your kind words. As someone else said, people who don't love their pets like family would never understand how hurtful it is to go through this.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #14

We are so sorry for you loss. We have had to make that decision once also. Our condolences to you.
Nana B
Nanab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #15

We lost our bulldog last year. while it wasn't on a camping trip, he loved camping too. He had his own camping chair he'd sit on by the fire with us.
-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #16

I don't know how camping is ever going to be the same without him. He was our camping buddy for 6 years and I know every time we go camping, it's going to be so difficult without him there. Right now I don't even have any desire to go camping again. I don't know how to make things better.

I know you might not believe this but getting another dog quickly helps. I've lost dogs and didn't have one for a few years. It was horrible. Now I have several dogs and have lost some over the years but always have one left and it helped a whole lot.
I lost my silky to cushings as well. Not a fun thing to watch and hard to make that decision as well but we can only be thankful unlike with humans we can do the humane thing and allow our dogs to go peacefully. It's hard but way better for them.

Get a new dog It really does help. And I do feel your pain. It's so hard to lose a family pet because they are family.
justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #17

they become part of our soul just love them with all your heart sorry for your loss just remember all dogs go to heaven our cat is going to be 15 our boston terrier is 10 but blind and things are getting to him but we keep love them till the end
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #18

So sorry for the loss of your fur baby. You did the right thing by being with him when it was time, it meant a lot to him trust me.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #19

Very sorry for your loss! What would your buddy want.? He would want you to give all that love to another baby....
Old 05-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #20

Never easy losing pets (kids). We lost 5 already, and they always camped with us. They still do! We had each one cremated and their little urns travel with us wherever we camp. Mikayla, Whitney, Shelby, Shannon, and Molly join their fur sister Toula and Tatum whenever out 5er is hooked up and rolling. Sorry for your loss, this may be a way to cope!
Clark Anklam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping