Old 06-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
First Pet Adventure

We're traveling with 3 Corgi's Tanner, Malcolm, Barley and 2 kids. What advice do you have when traveling down the road in the Georgetown. We're excited and we want to make sure the little ones are safe. Any advice you can share would be great. We're traveling with their portable crates and plan on keeping them in their houses while going down the road. We look forward to your advice and wisdom. Thank You.

kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
Keep shot records on hand. Camp with vet offices reasonably close. You don't want to drive 4 to 5 hours to get to a vet. Microchip all the dogs if not already. If you have a toad be careful about not leaving them alone to long. Should you lose power on a hot day for instance.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
Copy of vaccine record. Check campground rules on quantity, some only allow 2 per site. I travel with 8. Ours travel in airline crates for safety, baby gate across entry so they can't run out of the motorhome. We also travel with ex pens we put together for a large area for them to do their business and play. We also stay close incase of emergency and to make sure they are quiet.
Make sure their crates are secured as they can become airborne during an accident or hard braking. Our motorhone has bunk beds where the crates fit into and are securee.
Vets. . Some campgrounds have a list of emergency vet clinics within the area or you can look them up online when you get to an area if you need one.
Enjoy, relax and have fun! Our bunch had a great time on their 2 week trip to SC last month.
We also only drove around 5 hrs a day so the dogs weren't cooped up all day and could enjoy the trip.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
We have two dogs that travel with us. On the road, we put the table down as their bed with an old sheet covering the foam mattresses. They have their harnesses attached to the bench's seat belts with short leads.
In camp, we leave them in for reasonable periods with the window shades down and the windshield curtain drawn, so they can't see out at things to bark at.
2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL
Chuck, Susan, and dogs- Gracie the Registered SnackHound and Toby the Wonder Boxer
Chuck.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:56 AM   #5
First Adventure

Thank you everyone. The dogs are groomed and we're ready for the family to hit the road for some summer fun.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
We always secure our two small dogs in their harnesses to the D rings that are attached to the dinette wall behind the velcro removable cushion. We don't want them flying in case we might have to suddenly brake, which did happen once this summer. Lightweight stuff flew down, but our dogs were safe.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
I have all vet records, as well as chip certificates on pdf files and loaded on my android phone and my tablet. If ever needed, I can email a shot record or any other documention to the vet while I'm standing at the front desk did that once.

Also I put one of these (similar mine are red) on each dog collars with a small piece of paper noting the campground and campsite I am located in. It's the size of an ignition key and made of aluminum, very light. Not sure if it would work for something like a chihuahua; might drag on the ground.

Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote