Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #1

First time Rving with dogs

Well this was the first time we actually took the RV out. We are brand new to this and what a weekend it was. We camped up in PA for a baby shower. That weekend it hailed, snowed, rained, and very gusty.

The campsite we stayed at was:

Stonybrook RV resort in Lehighton, PA. (Family owned and operated)

Pros: Huge campsites
Very helpful employees
Kids activities if it was warm outside. (pool, playground, and indoor activities).
Employees drove around everyday to see if anyone needed anything.
Had full hookups
Plenty of other pros to add
Fire pit/ Table

Cons: Cant think of any yet

Back to camping. It rainy the first day there and having three dogs just added to the mess. The TT held up really well in the wind and cold. The propane heater was amazing.

The corral the dogs we used the following:

Yaheetech Heavy Duty Metal Pet Dog Puppy Cat Exercise Fence Barrier Playpen Kennel, Outdoor & Indoor,16 Panels/8 Panels.

We had to get 2 sets to make it bigger and more comfortable. The fence worked amazing. Very sturdy and never fell down during the storms.

My wife and I definitely learned a lot from that one trip. Ways to pack and unpack, the kids sleeping arrangements, and cooking.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Happy Camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dogs 1.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	612.5 KB
ID:	202396   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Pictures.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	585.4 KB
ID:	202397  

Forest River
Wildwood X-lite
261 BHXL
2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost
Bwright87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

How did you keep the dogs from sneaking out under the stairs?

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #3

wire panels are visible.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #4

Since I was not prepared that, I just put two folding camping stairs under the stairs. We did get a small fence to go behind the stairs.

Forest River
Wildwood X-lite
261 BHXL
2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost
Old 04-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #5

I dont know what exactly you mean but yes the wires are visible. I also got some reflective tape to put on top for use in low light or or by walking with a flashlight. That way the fence can be easier to see.

Forest River
Wildwood X-lite
261 BHXL
2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost
Old 04-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #6

Thank you for your service and glad you had a good experience. Did you check roof for possible hail damage? Dont ask how I know that.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

I have a similar set up for the dogs. Mine are small dogs, so I use a piece of chicken wire to loop around behind the stairs and attach it to the fencing on either side of the door.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #8

it's probably important that you always be there when your dogs are in the pen. There are campers who tie out their dogs at their campsite or leave them in a pen like this and then leave the campsite, so that their dogs can bark constantly or escape the pen and disturb others. Unfortunately, smaller dogs are often barkers and can really be a detriment to the experience of neighboring campers. So I would just suggest that you always supervise your dogs if they're outside in a pen.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #9

Noticed in your pic the position of your wheel chocks....what’s to prevent your TT from rolling backwards?!
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #10

We have been camping with up to three dogs of all sizes for more than 40 years. We never leave our pets unattended outside our RV for more than a few minutes at any campsite. There are folks who think nothing of teasing dogs to make them bark, or worse, stealing them for their own gain. These days we nearly always stay at RV parks with full hookups, so we can leave our pets in the comfort of air conditioned or heated luxury while we are away.

Unfortunately, there are campers who refuse to keep their aggressive dogs on leash, and never pick up the "poops" they leave in someone else's campsite. I am happy to know that everyone on this website is not part of that culture. We take care of our pets, and we respect our neighbors' need for privacy and good behavior.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #11

We camped next to a family at Ohiopyle State Park that would go off canoeing all day and leave their pup tied out in front of their trailer to bark and fend for himself all day. he could have been attacked by a bear (couldn't get away), or stolen. We camp (RV) with three or four greyhounds and would never think of tying our dogs outside for a miunute. They are very happy staying inside in air conditioned comfort and snoozing if we have to take a quick trip in town.

BTW, Ohiopyle is a great camp spot and close to the little tourist town of Ohiopyle with lots of white water canoeing and rafting, pizza places and gorgeous old railroad path bike trails. It's also close to Frank Lloyd Wright's classic Falling Water house. Great campground off the beaten path.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
Noticed in your pic the position of your wheel chocks....what’s to prevent your TT from rolling backwards?!
My guess....gravity.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #13

The back of the TT is right up against a hill. There was a major slope to the front of the trailer. I had one chock on the other side facing the other direction. Thank you for noticing that. I am always making sure the trailer is not moving.

Forest River
Wildwood X-lite
261 BHXL
2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost
Old 05-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #14

nice looking fence system. We use xpen panels to build our "yard" for our dogs. Just an idea, along the bottom edge of out tt we use lattice panels to keep the dogs from escaping. We bought the 4'x8' plastic lattice panels, cut them in half lengthwise (and if needed you could make a cutout for the steps) and we bungy several together to go the length of the tt. We bungy them to the tt at several places and it works well to keep the dogs contained. We travel with multiple dogs and have never had one get out of our "yard" with the lattice panels and xpen panels (however - we never leave them alone in the yard, too much could happen). happy camping.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #15
waybeck2018

We too have been RVing with dogs for over 15 years. One of the first reasons we bought an RV was so we never had to leave pets behind, boarding or family. If they are trained right they are really no problem. Sure, a noise may cause a bark inside but they cease and desist quickly. In all these years we have never had a complaint from a CG owner or a neighbor. Love them, enjoy them and you will get it all back tenfold from them.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #16

Anyone have links to the fence system they use and like?
tatosian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatosian24 View Post
Anyone have links to the fence system they use and like?
The Xpen systems are what greyhound people use when RV-ing.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel

Tags
first time