Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #31
Site Team

You said the meds made him worse. There is a thing called a paradoxical reaction. I think that could be what happened. A paradoxical reaction is where a person or animal has the opposite effect of the medicine than what was intended..ie combative, aggressive or agitated from a sedative. Let the vet know about the response the dog had. Also make sure you are getting in contact with a good dog behaviorist. You might gave to back off camping some until you get the dog settled in and this a little more under control.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #32

We have to turn the TV on when we leave our camper. Doesn't completely eliminate the anxiety but helps. Oh and the stereo doesn't work for us just the TV.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Still think you need to get a recommendation from your Vet for an appointment at your closest Veterinary training hospital. U of P Ryan really helped our Bella who has more than her share of problems (including Chronic Fear Syndrome and a host of allergies).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #34

Whenever a dog's behavior is strange, the first thing you need to do is a full workup of tests to make sure their health is ok. You mentioned a vet... has she had full bloodwork done, urinalysis, etc, to rule out any infections or chronic conditions?

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #35

Just had initial Vet exam last week, but no urinalysis or blood work. She has an appointment to be spayed next Thursday. Someone said to sleep in a T-shirt and put that in her cage, so that my scent would comfort her...I just now went outside for 5 min. [part of her crate trailing] and when I came back, she was hysterical and had chewed up my t-shirt, and the TV was on.

I like the clue about clamping a 3/4" piece of plywood to the bottom of the cage, when I get a chance, I'll try that.

Also I have a big mirror along side the crate, so that she can see herself/or a litter mate, so she would think that she's not alone. She doesn't have any problem going in the crate to get a treat or her Kong filled with peanut butter. I can close the door and she will lay down and go to sleep.

It's just when I am gone out of the room for more than a few minutes, all Heck breaks loose.

We don't have any canine behaviorists in my area [50 miles away], and I'm sorry, but PA is just too far away.

Part of me says not to give up camping just yet, figuring that she will get used to it. And I can't stay in my house 24/7, she has to go in the crate when I leave to run errands.

She is such a great dog for camping---she travels well, doesn't bark, likes other dogs and people, and kids.....and she loves to lay outside at just enjoy the day. And just look at that face....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	36081   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	36082   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (13).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	36083   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (16).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	36086  
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #36

How does she act if you were to hand her leash to someone else and walk away/ go around a corner?

Can you play that game with a friend helping? Praise praise praise the whole time you are gone or out of her sight.

previous owner of
Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing75 View Post
Just had initial Vet exam last week, but no urinalysis or blood work. She has an appointment to be spayed next Thursday. Someone said to sleep in a T-shirt and put that in her cage, so that my scent would comfort her...I just now went outside for 5 min. [part of her crate trailing] and when I came back, she was hysterical and had chewed up my t-shirt, and the TV was on.

I like the clue about clamping a 3/4" piece of plywood to the bottom of the cage, when I get a chance, I'll try that.

Also I have a big mirror along side the crate, so that she can see herself/or a litter mate, so she would think that she's not alone. She doesn't have any problem going in the crate to get a treat or her Kong filled with peanut butter. I can close the door and she will lay down and go to sleep.

It's just when I am gone out of the room for more than a few minutes, all Heck breaks loose.

We don't have any canine behaviorists in my area [50 miles away], and I'm sorry, but PA is just too far away.

Part of me says not to give up camping just yet, figuring that she will get used to it. And I can't stay in my house 24/7, she has to go in the crate when I leave to run errands.

She is such a great dog for camping---she travels well, doesn't bark, likes other dogs and people, and kids.....and she loves to lay outside at just enjoy the day. And just look at that face....
Following up on Herk's excellent suggestion: Brown Mackie College - Akron, which I think is where you live, has a veterinary school, as does Ohio State. Perhaps one of those could work with you.

She's a great looking dog. Please don't give up on her.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #38

Regarding health, just for your informaion:

One of my dog's agility classmates suddenly turned aggressive. A normally docile dog.

She found out the dog had eaten a balloon, and she's allergic to latex. She developed an infection. Once that cleared, aggressiveness gone.

previous owner of
Old 07-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Following up on Herk's excellent suggestion: Brown Mackie College - Akron, which I think is where you live, has a veterinary school, as does Ohio State. Perhaps one of those could work with you.

She's a great looking dog. Please don't give up on her.
I just called Brown Mackie College and they only have Vet Tech classes, not Vet School, so they couldn't help. I will look up OSU online to see if I can find a phone #.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb74 View Post
How does she act if you were to hand her leash to someone else and walk away/ go around a corner?

Can you play that game with a friend helping? Praise praise praise the whole time you are gone or out of her sight.
I will try your leash/game suggestion this campout weekend, but she is so friendly, she probably won't react. We'll see.