Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #61
Site Team - Lou

You have our deepest sympathy.
Lou, Laura, & Bella
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
So, so sorry to hear! I know how hard those decisions are as I've made the same ones over the years! You did the humane thing!
Thank you
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #63

Cinnamon is gone.

So very sorry to hear of your loss. It is so heartbreaking to find a pup and fall in love and work SO hard to try to give her the life she deserves...then to have to say good-bye. Praying your heart heals soon.

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #64
TeresaInCAL

Awwww, I'm so sorry for your loss. At least you KNOW you tried everything possible. More than a lot of other people would.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #65
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
I'm sorry you felt that was the best option for her. RIP.
As we all are. This is never an easy decision and the soul searching and second guessing is horrible for everyone involved.

Our Bella has severe anxiety disorder and we have considered this many times over the years. Adoption is out of the question, of course, so you soldier on until you no longer can. She is "better" with an experimental drug (experimental in dogs) but in no way well. There may come a day when we will need to take this step ourselves and I pray we will be as brave.

To question this agonizing decision after the fact is just awful on every conceivable level. You should be ashamed of yourself.

If the staff feels I need a strike I welcome it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #66

sorry for your loss
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #67
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
As we all are. This is never an easy decision and the soul searching and second guessing is horrible for everyone involved.

Our Bella has severe anxiety disorder and we have considered this many times over the years. Adoption is out of the question, of course, so you soldier on until you no longer can. She is "better" with an experimental drug (experimental in dogs) but in no way well. There may come a day when we will need to take this step ourselves and I pray we will be as brave.

To question this agonizing decision after the fact is just awful on every conceivable level. You should be ashamed of yourself.

If the staff feels I need a strike I welcome it.
I absolutely agree, Herk.

SFH;
You gave this little girl that BEST care possible. You loved her unconditionally and loved her enough to let her go when your vet advised you that she was locked into this unending fear/terror and it was damaging her physically as well as mentally/emotionally.

I've kept up with this thread, sometimes thinking "I don't know how she does it". Patience is a virtue, and you've proven with this little girl that you are a virtuous woman.

May God bless you for giving her the best shot she had at being loved and having a good life. May God bless you for loving her through all the challenges she presented, and all your exasperating attempts to give her relief from her terrors.

I don't particularly subscribe to the rainbow bridge theory, but I do believe you'll see her again, and she'll be happy and fear free.

I *do* believe in Karma, and you have a huge bank of positive Karma built up due to your care for this little girl.

Please know that I acknowledge all your attempts to save her, and please know that I understand and respect your difficult choice to do what was best for HER.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #68
NELA

FTR, DH and I are facing difficult decisions with our senior cocker. She's gone totally deaf (we've worked out hand motion and flashlight "sign language" with her) and her eyesight is failing, so much so that anything square shaped, for her, is a puppy pad. This means every rug in the house is a target.

She's beginning to limp from (perhaps) arthritis in her hips.

In spite of all of this, she has awesome zest for life, except that she sleeps a LOT now.

We struggle with doing what's best for HER. We struggle with trying to figure out if our thoughts of "taking her for that last trip to the vet" is for HER, or if we're thinking of our own convenience.

This decision for loving owners of pets is a HORRIBLE situation.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
FTR, DH and I are facing difficult decisions with our senior cocker. She's gone totally deaf (we've worked out hand motion and flashlight "sign language" with her) and her eyesight is failing, so much so that anything square shaped, for her, is a puppy pad. This means every rug in the house is a target.

She's beginning to limp from (perhaps) arthritis in her hips.

In spite of all of this, she has awesome zest for life, except that she sleeps a LOT now.

We struggle with doing what's best for HER. We struggle with trying to figure out if our thoughts of "taking her for that last trip to the vet" is for HER, or if we're thinking of our own convenience.

This decision for loving owners of pets is a HORRIBLE situation.

We have been there also too many times and the first one was a cocker spaniel we got two weeks after we got married at the ripe ages of 18 and 20 ...she was Daddy's dog thru and thru and before we put her down at 12 senior yrs she was blind and deaf too...had to tie her up outside or she would wander down the road - our first baby 😄. Bless you and your very heartfelt efforts and I am one that believes in the Rainbow Bridge and look forward to a bunch of crazy dog kisses someday from all of our fur babies again 💝
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #70
NELA

Chelsea is 16+ years old. We don't take her camping because of her sight and hearing issues. But she stays at a doggie hotel that she LOVES and gets excited as soon as we park there. (the owner talks to her as if she's not deaf, as she says Chelsea can still feel the vibrations and knows she's getting attention, and she has a little dog born without eyes, so she's very understanding with special needs Fids) Oh yeah, she's daddy's dog also. We have a huge backyard with a privacy fence so she gets to go outside all the time, even at night, when we use a flashlight to signal her. One sweep of the light across the yard and she comes running. Being deaf she startles horribly if you touch her to wake her up, so DH discovered that he can just move his hand in front of her face and she senses the change in air pressure, or maybe smells his scent, and wakes up slowly and peacefully.

When I said I don't particularly subscribe to the rainbow bridge theory, I meant a specific "bridge" where they hang out until we meet back up with them there.

I'd rather believe our much loved Fids (kids with fur or feathers) are running and playing on endless fields of green grass in bright sunshine (perhaps chasing squirrels) instead of hanging around waiting on us.

When that time comes, we'll have the peace of knowing we gave her the life most doggies only dream of. She's spoiled ROTTEN. So is our Fred (7 years old), and our Lilac Crowned Amazon "Cletus" (about 20 years old but this breed lives to be 70 or 80).

Old 05-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #71
TeresaInCAL

Knowing when to put them out of their misery IS the best love you can show.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #72

Thank you EVERYONE who has posted their thoughts and words of comfort. Even though I cry as I read them, they mean so much to me. And my prayers go out to those who might be facing a similar situation, with their four-legged loved ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (36).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	52084
Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #73
NELA

oh em gee SFX, that picture is so wonderful yet so sadly indicative of who she was.

Taking that picture was such a great idea. A memory you can look at and smile, knowing she's now at peace.

On this Mom's day weekend, I have to tell you;
As a Fid Mom, you are the bestest!

Old 05-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
oh em gee SFX, that picture is so wonderful yet so sadly indicative of who she was.

Taking that picture was such a great idea. A memory you can look at and smile, knowing she's now at peace.

On this Mom's day weekend, I have to tell you;
As a Fid Mom, you are the bestest!
Your words are helping my heart heal....thanks so much!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #75

We have a 3 yr old Shih Tzu that has a bad case of separation anxiety but she is not destructive, just sits in front of door and whines and cries. We are going to try and leave her in the camper for the first time alone this summer covering all furniture and opening blinds so she can't damage anything, we know that she will try to look out the window. Got one of those anxiety things you put on them but didn't work. She has been getting better as long as I'm home, when the wife goes out, just sits in front of the door and waits.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	52094  
Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #76
Site Team

God bless you. Never easy to make the hard decisions. In this case, you certainly did. We lost our little Abby in February and was freed of having to make that same decision. I wish you the best. It will get better. Hang on.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1399778481825.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	52124  

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to hear. I know it was a tough decision but you loved her enough to give her the gift of peace. Thank you for trying to save her. I can only hope that this doesn't prevent you from saving another soul someday. Please don't look at this as a failure but rather a success at giving a dog the chance to know love in her short life.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote