Old 07-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Help me with my new Devil/Angel dog

Three weeks ago, I posted that I had to put down my pet of 10 years. Penny, a 13 yr old Chihuahua was the perfect camping buddy. I wasn't going to get another dog, because it was just too hard to say goodbye, but the emptiness and loneliness was just too great to handle. So a 1 1/2 weeks ago I got another dog.

Cinnamon is a 2-3 yr old Chi-wienie [Chihuahua and Dachshund mix]. She has a great personality and not a hyper dog, and not a barker.

I am a member of Good Sams and had to go to Ohio's Summer Samboree, so I really did not have enough time to ease her into my home life and camping life. So with only 4 days to work with before we left, she had several episodes when I tried to get her used to a crate, and she actually turned the crate over and got out several times, so I just let her have the run of the house, when I had to run short errands. So I didn't take a crate with me camping.

Well, the first evening at the fairground, I had to leave for a few minutes....when I got back to my new trailer...and my new dog....I learned a new phrase.....Separation Anxiety. Cinnamon wanted to escape the trailer and be with me....see the pics....later she destroyed the screen over the emergency exit window, and she jumped out of the window and headed off in the direction she last saw me. Fortunately a neighbor recognized her and called me to let me know where she was.

I was devastated and was going to drive the 175 miles back home, but stayed the 5 days figuring it would be good training for her....at the end of the stay the destruction was: 3 screens--1 door and 2 windows......2 sets of curtains and a bent curtain rod......bought a $40 resin dog crate at Walmart, she trashed it in 15 min. when she chewed a hole in the side[ now it would not stay connected] and dislodged the door---3 times and got out.

Since she is such a handful, I wouldn't even think about asking a dog sitter to stay with her....cause I think that would add to her Separation Anxiety and
her Escape Anxiety. And I'm not going to give up camping.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Maybe I should change her name from Cinnamon to Houdini!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (9).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	35469   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (10).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	35470   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (11).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	35471   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	35472   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (12).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	35473  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (13).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	35474  

Old 07-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

just a couple of ideas lots of chew toys ,sleep with a towel or blanket to get your sent on it and put in crate. you need to make the crate the dogs safe place so she gets over her anxiety a bought it one way to do this is to place her food in it and leave the door open so she has to go in and get it so it becomes a good place to be rather than a cage.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
just a couple of ideas lots of chew toys ,sleep with a towel or blanket to get your sent on it and put in crate. you need to make the crate the dogs safe place so she gets over her anxiety a bought it one way to do this is to place her food in it and leave the door open so she has to go in and get it so it becomes a good place to be rather than a cage.
Unfortunately, she doesn't like any of the chew toys that I bought her....she just doesn't play. I'll try the towel with my scent on it, but if she is left alone in the crate...she shreds towels or comforters, and then starts to destroy the plastic tray liner.

When I am on the computer, I will put her in the cage, and she will lie down and go to sleep, as long as we are in the same room. And I have been putting a Kong stuffed with peanut butter in the crate, and she will walk in to eat it. I can leave the room for 5 min or so, with no problem....it's just when I leave the house for longer.

I take her on 3 long walks a day, so it can't be that she is under-exercised and is bored. We go to the vet today for her 1st check-up...maybe he will give her some meds.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #4

Separation anxiety is one of the toughest problems to deal with. Wish I had some answers. Cesar?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #5

I was going to check the library to see if they have any of Cesar Milan's books or DVD's
Old 07-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

Oh my goodness!

I would recommend finding a trainer or behavioral therapist locally that works in positive reinforcement. (Cesar Millan uses negative reinforcement methods.)

Separation anxiety is very hard to deal with on your own. It is going to take time to deal with, and honestly, you need a helping hand close by to try different methods with you.

You're going to have to take a lot of steps backwards and start with the crate. If you work carefully with her, she can get to the point where her crate is her "safe place". But that is going to take a lot of time and patience that you need to be able to dedicate. You can't just throw her in and hope it works.

Are you familiar with clicker training? It is one of the fastest methods for training, and is a great motivator.

I used to work as a positive reinforcement dog trainer and can help give you some tips and ideas for books to read. But first and foremost, find someone nearby to help.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #7

Have you seen the Thunder Shirt?

See the attached link.

Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

use the metal crate, cover it with a towel/light blanket so she can't see.. weigh it down so she can't flip it over. and leave her be till she calms down.

when she calms down, return, praise her for being good, then reward her by letting her out. repeat several times a day and then extend the length of stay in the crate.

she is training you right now. do not deviate from your goal. any compromise and you are getting trained, not her.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
Anacortesians

We got a pedigree Lab pup when he was about 10 weeks old and had been living with the breeder's family. He had awful separation anxiety. When we got him, DW had take early, medically-necessary retirement and had been home most of the first 6 months.

She was called in by her old boss to substitute for a pregnancy leave. She left for work about 30 minutes before I did. A couple of mornings after she started the temp job, I came out of the shower to find pillow stuffing all over the place.

Sam was so ticked off that she'd left, he took HER pillow and ripped it apart, scattering the filling all the way down the stairs. He also got terrible diarrhea when he was in a cage in our bedroom.

After a lot of counselling and discussions with animal behaviorists, a friend said "Get him a companion". We got a rescue female chocolate Lab and the problem ceased immediately.

The best cure for separation anxiety is a companion dog, otherwise, euthanasia might be the only other alternative if the dog is as bad as you describe.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #10

Doggie Downers