Old 06-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Our Boxers watch animal planet on TV while we are gone. They never have barked much but when they do you know it. Usually we go for long walks to use their energy ........ then we get the dirty looks cause we walk by & end up stirring up the little barkers.

We tried to get them to have dinner ready when we get back but so far that has not worked out so good......

She can't watch tv with animals on it....she barks at them and tries to hunt them! At home, our tv is on the same wall as our doggie door so when the animals come on the screen- she barks and then runs out the doggie door to get the animal She still hasn't learned!

We have cathedral ceilings and there's a mid-sized window up there. We never thought she'd notice it when we bought the house. She uses that window to hunt squirrels and birds in the trees.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #12

My lab has always been crated. (She's 3 now and been camping since she was 8 weeks). Though she's never chewed even a sock (would hate to come back and find the Night Shades are not shades anymore). That one kid/dog/squirrel running threw your campsite that sets her off. I leave a/c or fan on and sometimes the radio. I also ask the neighbors (and have reported to them on theirs) to tell me if she made any noise while away. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #13

Privacy shades down help discourage barking. Leaving a package of Jack Link on the dash......not the best idea. Water to drink and background sound helps but hold down on the AC/DC!! You will also loose points if you play "The Fugitive" by The Ventures....try it and you will understand. lol
Old 06-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #14

Love that you are crate trained with your pup ... dogs are den animals (so make it mostly covered) & in order to feel safe a den is needed. Run her like crazy before leaving (always give a bite of 'that special treat' when closing the crate door) & then ignore her. DH used to like to tell ours to shush as we left & she would escalate ... now he knows to leave without acknowledging her once in the crate.

Leave fan or AC on so she does not hear every little noise out there. Put lavender oil on a washcloth daily & place on top of crate. If needed for the first couple trips ask your vet about anxitane or the adaptil collar (calming pheromone) or other nutriceuticals out there to take the edge off. Most of us have our favorites.

NEVER leave a dog unattended with ANY chewey treat ....ALWAYS supervise. I have personally done the necropsy of numerous unexpected deaths only to find a ball or chew treat / toy that if the owner had been present the pet could have been saved. A busy ball is not a bad option.....

So happy for your inquiry ...drives me crazy when owners ignore their pet's stress issues that then mess with my quiet campground experience (& if you are on the Pet Peeves link here ... pick up after your pet is way up there on the list!)
Old 06-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #15

I am sure all are tired of seeing me write this "we always took our dogs with us when we left the rv as everyplace we camped had rules stating do not leave pets unattended". Everyone says their dogs are special and cause no problems! We are now dog less and get to see the sights together.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
I am sure all are tired of seeing me write this "we always took our dogs with us when we left the rv as everyplace we camped had rules stating do not leave pets unattended". Everyone says their dogs are special and cause no problems! We are now dog less and get to see the sights together.
If that is a posted rule, we do bring them with us. Every CG I have looked at has said that they cannot be unattended outside or disruptive to others.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
Love that you are crate trained with your pup ... dogs are den animals (so make it mostly covered) & in order to feel safe a den is needed. Run her like crazy before leaving (always give a bite of 'that special treat' when closing the crate door) & then ignore her. DH used to like to tell ours to shush as we left & she would escalate ... now he knows to leave without acknowledging her once in the crate.

Leave fan or AC on so she does not hear every little noise out there. Put lavender oil on a washcloth daily & place on top of crate. If needed for the first couple trips ask your vet about anxitane or the adaptil collar (calming pheromone) or other nutriceuticals out there to take the edge off. Most of us have our favorites.

NEVER leave a dog unattended with ANY chewey treat ....ALWAYS supervise. I have personally done the necropsy of numerous unexpected deaths only to find a ball or chew treat / toy that if the owner had been present the pet could have been saved. A busy ball is not a bad option.....

So happy for your inquiry ...drives me crazy when owners ignore their pet's stress issues that then mess with my quiet campground experience (& if you are on the Pet Peeves link here ... pick up after your pet is way up there on the list!)
I will have to look up what a busy ball is. We use only bull sticks and beef tendons. No rawhide in our house.

My girls are my responsibility so I try to make sure that they are always safe and comfortable and not bothering others. Hence, my three non-barkers. Just couldn't overcome the westie's instinct.

ETA: We do have something similar to a busy ball already. I could leave that in her crate.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #18

I agree with the suggestion on using an anti-bark collar if it becomes an issue. I have one Lab who tends to bark and all I have to do is show it on her and she is quiet as a mouse, but knows she can sneak in a bark without the collar. My second suggestion is that you may want to orient your dogs to the camper before the first trip. Maybe let them spend some time in the camper while parked at home with the TV on etc. Staying overnight in the camper before the trip will dramatically reduce the anxiety they may experience at the campground.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #19
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Our Boxers watch animal planet on TV while we are gone. They never have barked much but when they do you know it. Usually we go for long walks to use their energy ........ then we get the dirty looks cause we walk by & end up stirring up the little barkers.

We tried to get them to have dinner ready when we get back but so far that has not worked out so good......

Your just not looking in the right spot...
Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #20

Doggie Valium?

mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote