Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #21

Or Bonine.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #22
jlf

We have a 9 month old Westie who has been camping four times since she was 6 weeks. Two of those times were at Disney's Ft Wilderness. Sophie loves to camp! But while we are away, and no one has said anything is a routine but well worth it. First we have one of those pop-up type pet pens that is octagon in shape. We put her crate, toys, and Kong filled treats. I put in a video from Amazon called While you are gone. It has different animals, sounds, etc. to keep her occupied. If your Westie is like ours, they are very attentive and watch. When we come home, we usually wake her up. We only have her enclosed because she is a puppy and we have a 2014 RV. My problem is the car ride and golf cart ride. She is excited about going, and jumps in the car, but she will cry and whine the entire way. So on my Vets advice, I give her children's Benadryl. I mix it with a combination of peanut butter and yogurt mixture and she loves it. And her Daddy loves it also because she sleeps all the way home. You could try this when you go out also. There are also travel aids at any pet store. Speaking of the yogurt/peanut butter mixture. I mix 2 part yogurt to 1 part PB and will fill a ice cube tray and freeze. She loves them for a midday snack. Especially during the "dog days" of the Florida heat. Good luck. We are still in the learning phases as being a Westie owner. But it will be so worth it.
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlf View Post
We have a 9 month old Westie who has been camping four times since she was 6 weeks. Two of those times were at Disney's Ft Wilderness. Sophie loves to camp! But while we are away, and no one has said anything is a routine but well worth it. First we have one of those pop-up type pet pens that is octagon in shape. We put her crate, toys, and Kong filled treats. I put in a video from Amazon called While you are gone. It has different animals, sounds, etc. to keep her occupied. If your Westie is like ours, they are very attentive and watch. When we come home, we usually wake her up. We only have her enclosed because she is a puppy and we have a 2014 RV. My problem is the car ride and golf cart ride. She is excited about going, and jumps in the car, but she will cry and whine the entire way. So on my Vets advice, I give her children's Benadryl. I mix it with a combination of peanut butter and yogurt mixture and she loves it. And her Daddy loves it also because she sleeps all the way home. You could try this when you go out also. There are also travel aids at any pet store. Speaking of the yogurt/peanut butter mixture. I mix 2 part yogurt to 1 part PB and will fill a ice cube tray and freeze. She loves them for a midday snack. Especially during the "dog days" of the Florida heat. Good luck. We are still in the learning phases as being a Westie owner. But it will be so worth it.
Roxy loves to camp also! Westies are an interesting bunch but they make you love them like no other. She worked a 12 hour shift last-night as a ditch digger. (She patrols our backyard pretty much all night and digs holes and comes in for water and a couple ten minute naps). I think she sleeps while we are at work

In the car, we use a Sherpa pet travel bag that we seatbelt into the seat. she just lays in there and never makes a peep unless it's potty time.

What part of Florida are you in? We are FL natives!
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #24
jlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose83 View Post
Roxy loves to camp also! Westies are an interesting bunch but they make you love them like no other. She worked a 12 hour shift last-night as a ditch digger. (She patrols our backyard pretty much all night and digs holes and comes in for water and a couple ten minute naps). I think she sleeps while we are at work

In the car, we use a Sherpa pet travel bag that we seatbelt into the seat. she just lays in there and never makes a peep unless it's potty time.

What part of Florida are you in? We are FL natives!

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definetly take it into consideration. We have had so much fun with her. Today she got her beauty treatment.
Right now we live in Homestead fl. I lived in Hialeah then miami. Then I moved to Homestead in 1992 right before the big hurricane. In 3 1/2 years, when my husband retires, we will be moving to Ocalla Florida and become snowbirds with North Carolina be in our summer home. Can't wait!
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlf View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I will definetly take it into consideration. We have had so much fun with her. Today she got her beauty treatment.
Right now we live in Homestead fl. I lived in Hialeah then miami. Then I moved to Homestead in 1992 right before the big hurricane. In 3 1/2 years, when my husband retires, we will be moving to Ocalla Florida and become snowbirds with North Carolina be in our summer home. Can't wait!
We are from Clearwater but are currently in Tallahassee.
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #26

To "Wrottdog" and others...
The electronic collar in now only...$8.98 (buy-it-now with free shipping to boot) on eBay. Is called the USA anti-bark collar but is probably imported by the American distributor from...? Just in case it is... I would wipe it down with a mild soap solution as I did to make sure. It "could" be American made tho...dunno? Nonetheless it works
great and does NOT hurt the animal-in-training!! Try it on yourself and you will see (yes, I did just to make sure...wearing that thing around the house and waiting for the dog to start barking to activate it was kinda...well, you know...but anyway...I "tested" it on my neck! Woof LOL). It takes a small 6V barrel battery which can be replaced anywhere such as Batteries Plus for around $4. Lasts fairly long time. It works without a dead battery too...as soon as we attach the collar to her she becomes much calmer and docile(shades of Pavlov's bells!). You DO NOT have to shave their fur for the electrodes to work...in fact I think this helps cushion the dull contacts further around her neck and she never yelped in pain, or the like! Use with confidence and if it is a Chinese product.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.it actually works esp. at "that" price. -PB

PS: sorry for the delay in answering...saw your inquiry and then got sidetracked...must have been that d#mned collar I tested on me?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USA anti-bark collar.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	79113  
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #27

For what it is worth ...there are better products than valium (we used to use that often for anxiety in pets), bonine is strictly for vertigo in your pet & Benadryl is usually a placebo for the owner (seriously) because the dose we prescribe in allergic dogs is way higher .... If it works for your dog just count your blessings

A Westie is kinda like a kid with ADHD & we know those kids relax & focus better with 2 hours of significant exercise daily ....

Bully sticks & tendons unsupervised are a choking issue too ... busy ball is great (& use it to feed your pet it's regular food as a routine meal twice daily so no weight gain from a ball full of treats)

We seatbelt our pet in backseat even though the safety trials for dogs are still out it will save drivers from possible injury if pet flies thru the vehicle in an accident. Small pets should NEVER travel in laps of front seat occupants due to airbag deployment will kill them &/or they can get down around brake/gas pedal.

Sorry for such long posts but I get to see the accidental issues to try to save your pet's lives too often & to work on behavioral modification of pets that keeps the family well bonded together ...

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #28

I pick campgrounds by wether they have an enclosed dog park. Doesn't have to be big, just well fenced. KOAs mostly. We have a high energy American Bulldog - she needs to run. She's a flight risk if off lead. Also, she's microchipped and wears an ID collar with name and phone number. Make sure you have a copy of their shot records, their licenses and their rabies tags. And, you may want to only walk 2 dogs at a time. A lot of parks only allow for 2 dogs, no matter the size. Saw a lady get "evicted" because she had 4 chihuahuas. They were older dogs; didn't hardly ever bark, never left her site and she cleaned up after them. Another thought, when you walk your dogs, keep your pooh bag visible; some campgrounds require that you do. I got one of those netted map pouches that stick to the car door and mounted right next to our RV door, great pooh bag holder. Neat and tidy.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Privacy shades down help discourage barking. Leaving a package of Jack Link on the dash......not the best idea. Water to drink and background sound helps but hold down on the AC/DC!! You will also loose points if you play "The Fugitive" by The Ventures....try it and you will understand. lol
Hey! Who let those dogs out?? Good one!! -PB

PS: Great memory from the '60's too...
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #30

We travel with 7 miniature schnauzers, terrier group. Mostly vacations and a cluster of dog shows twice a yr. we try to tire them out and we leave 2 TVs on for background noise. We only leave for a little while and never far away just in case of emergency. They all ride in airline crates for safety. Yes, starting out early with training is the best however not everyone knows to do that or adopted an older dog. Practice going away for small amounts of time, rewarding then increasing the time away. As I said the TV works best for us since they think we're still there.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Respectively how do you say "hush" when your not there?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
LMAO, but seriously I would be interested in the US maid chews for my Deutsch
Kurzhaar.
GmanHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote