Old 06-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

High energy dog in RV

We've just purchased our first RV. I was wondering how people deal with their high-energy fuzzies while RVing.

We have a 4 (soon to be 5!) year old Westie that is ALL TERRIER. She loves to hunt and run and dig. She has never ending energy. What strategies do you use to keep them calm?

So far, we plan on playing classical music in the rv (when we're gone) to drown out outside sounds. She will be crated so won't be able to see anything. We will walk her a lot and leave her a chew in her crate. Any other ideas?

When she gets bored or energy backed up- she gets barky and we're worried about her bothering others. Our other three small dogs are non-barkers.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Bark collar.
My dogs don't bark and haven't had a collar around there necks in years. Ask youroo.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"

Old 06-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #3

I know nothing about Westie dogs, but I travel with 2 Border Collies. Some would consider them high energy. I make sure my 2 get at least an hour of energetic ball playing (fetch) every day plus take them on all the day hikes and excursions we do. All the exercise and human interaction make them very well behaved and non hyper. That said, my 2 have never been barkers and aren't prone to destructive tendencies.
Mtelkman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

We have a hi-octane, but adorable, LabraDoodle, whom we "rescued" from a family living in an apartment with two kids, and another LabraDoodle. She was essentially kept in a cage for most of the day while they were at work and had no yard to exercise. We got her last November when she was about 11 mo's old. The family lived in Va. and we brought her home to Ohio where she has a great back yard (cedar fenced!) and this has become "her" domain. Very nervous dog at first because of her Virginia experience plus they had her on a...Vegan diet!! We immediately changed her to a grain-free hi-quality kibble mix and her ribs(too skinny!) smoothed out as did her
demeanor. We had to calm her to get her into the back yard for the first week but she finally was able to go out on her own, without fear. She can be a bit barky in the house, especially around strangers, but have since solved this by getting the proverbial
"bark" collar (eBay for $10!). Uses a 6V batt. and adjust to 5 levels of tolerance...the first lower levels punctuated with a warning tone...then the small prongs do their thing on levels 4 & 5. She learned quickly and rarely goes past the first 3 "barks". We only keep it on her for around 1-2 hrs. and then remove. In fact, the battery has stopped working but the power of Pavlov still works as soon as we attach it w/o the battery now! So, as Turbs mentioned, do a search on eBay(or otherwise) and order one now...they work and are not a cruel punishment. The Taser prongs are very lightly loaded in this unit and tingle slightly which surprises the dog into non-barking mode.
Is fully automatic and the battery will last long enuf to get your pooch conditioned in time. We fill be taking it with us on our first foray to the state park in addition to all her favorite toys plus an episode of "Dog TV" or two. We think we can let her roam without a cage inside the MH and also keep the AC going to help drown out outside noises. You are on the right track but DO check into the collar...you do not have to pay more the $10- for one either...
Old 06-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #5

Might want to try Janet Marlow's CDS of dog music; I use them, and I also recomment a CD called Canine Lullabies (many humane societies and rescues swear by that one, and I had a great deal of success with it when my house was being re-roofed). Wonderful stuff and beats the heck out of hurting your best friend for doing what dogs do naturally. Also, bear in mind that walks may not be enough...you might try an energetic game of fetch on a long training lead to tire your terrier, or with a soft toy inside. In addition, Zak George is a force-free trainer on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook who does wonders with dogs who have issues like this. Good luck!

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

I've been around a couple of Westies and I know they are good, sweet dogs. As my nephew (who knows a lot about dogs) says "a tired dog is a good dog". Your plan to walk her (a LOT) seems sound.
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Senior

Bark collar

ut have since solved this by getting the proverbial
"bark" collar (eBay for $10!). Uses a 6V batt. and adjust to 5 levels of tolerance...the first lower levels punctuated with a warning tone...then the small prongs do their thing on levels 4 & 5

What are the brand and model of the collar?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
Team Bleu

One Westie in an RV, try having 3 Border Collies and 1 Australian Shepherd who are all Performance dogs. I train and trial dogs in Obedience and Agility, travel almost every weekend to shows, stay a lot at KOAs over night. First of all my dogs start training at 7 weeks old, I'm the leader of this Pack, not them. They stay in an X-large kennel when we travel, well at least the two young ones do. I travel with USA produced chews, which I also sell, so they have something to do while in the kennel. I never leave anything on the counter top as to draw attention so one jumps up and grabs something, train that at home first, none of my dogs have ever counter surfed. I have custom made pads so my dogs can jump up and sit in the front window. I carry lots of rubber Chuck it balls and Discs so we can go and find a spot and run butts off so they are tired. I also travel with weave poles, jumps and balance boards so they are always working and don't have time to look for trouble. My dogs are all trained on my music Country, Maroon 5, etc. nothing special. All my dogs have their CGC and TDI, so they can pretty much go anywhere on or off leash. They also have the best recalls, I call once you better come to my side. I also a BC who has recently gotten hooked on Barn Hunting "Rats", but will not search when in my company as I'm more fun at that point. I set up 6 3 foot x-pens to form a playground and that's where they can potty and play ball and just have fun while I'm busy. Someone mentioned Bark Collar or as we call it in AKC an E-Collar, would never use one, along with no Flexi leads. I train my dogs and clients dogs to walk heel positions at my side and by that I mean you can hold a leash with a light pinky and they will not run off, and as far as barking I say Hush and That will Do and they get the message. You can also invest in a Manners Minder (Amazon) remote treat giver, dog is quiet hit the button and reward is given. Dog comes back on a recall hit the button and reward is given. Best dogs in a house or RV are those with positive training.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBsRedVett View Post
One Westie in an RV, try having 3 Border Collies and 1 Australian Shepherd who are all Performance dogs. I train and trial dogs in Obedience and Agility, travel almost every weekend to shows, stay a lot at KOAs over night. First of all my dogs start training at 7 weeks old, I'm the leader of this Pack, not them. They stay in an X-large kennel when we travel, well at least the two young ones do. I travel with USA produced chews, which I also sell, so they have something to do while in the kennel. I never leave anything on the counter top as to draw attention so one jumps up and grabs something, train that at home first, none of my dogs have ever counter surfed. I have custom made pads so my dogs can jump up and sit in the front window. I carry lots of rubber Chuck it balls and Discs so we can go and find a spot and run asses off so they are tired. I also travel with weave poles, jumps and balance boards so they are always working and don't have time to look for trouble. My dogs are all trained on my music Country, Maroon 5, etc. nothing special. All my dogs have their CGC and TDI, so they can pretty much go anywhere on or off leash. They also have the best recalls, I call once you better come to my side. I also a BC who has recently gotten hooked on Barn Hunting "Rats", but will not search when in my company as I'm more fun at that point. I set up 6 3 foot x-pens to form a playground and that's where they can potty and play ball and just have fun while I'm busy. Someone mentioned Bark Collar or as we call it in AKC an E-Collar, would never use one, along with no Flexi leads. I train my dogs and clients dogs to walk heel positions at my side and by that I mean you can hold a leash with a light pinky and they will not run off, and as far as barking I say Hush and That will Do and they get the message. You can also invest in a Manners Minder (Amazon) remote treat giver, dog is quiet hit the button and reward is given. Dog comes back on a recall hit the button and reward is given. Best dogs in a house or RV are those with positive training.
Respectively how do you say "hush" when your not there?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
Old 06-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #10

Our Boxers watch animal planet on TV while we are gone. They never have barked much but when they do you know it. Usually we go for long walks to use their energy ........ then we get the dirty looks cause we walk by & end up stirring up the little barkers.

We tried to get them to have dinner ready when we get back but so far that has not worked out so good......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote