Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How do you restrain your pet
Keep them on a tether/leash always? 94 82.46%
They just hang out at the campsite? 10 8.77%
Keep them in the camper? 8 7.02%
Just let them run free through the CG? 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #41

Corralling doggies

We keep our little 12 lb Norwich terrier on a leash, a tether or in foldable pen. And all you free range owners whose dogs are so good are some of the ones whose dogs mosey onto our campsite and either get aggressive with our little guy or leave a deposit in our site. Be responsible and follow cpground rules
Old 02-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #42

I keep my chick magnet jack Russell on a 6ft. Leash. That way all the women come to me to talk about the dog.LOL.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #43
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmi View Post
I keep my chick magnet jack Russell on a 6ft. Leash. That way all the women come to me to talk about the dog.LOL.

Gotta go with what works!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 02-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
Unfortunately, litigation has changed this country forever ... and not for the better!
Exactly!
We have a 15 pound Jack Russell, who loves everyone and everything. I often let him just hang around, and have only once had a fellow camper complain. I never had any complaints from management, or even rangers.
Having said that, I know I am violating campground rules, and state and federal park rules, and local ordinances. If caught, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
Part of my joy of camping is taking my dog, and watching him enjoy his freedom and new experiences. Sadly, in this over-regulated world, those days are coming to an end.
In many parks, you are not allowed to take your dog hiking, even on a leash. Also, you are not supposed to leave your dog unattended in the RV. I suppose I could ship him to my mother-in-law for the day.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:34 PM   #45

I hear ya!��
Old 02-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #46

Sometimes dogs not allowed on trails because they attract bears or Cougars but other times new rules come because owners leave poop on trails and ruin it for everybody
Old 02-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #47
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlovers View Post
Sometimes dogs not allowed on trails because they attract bears or Cougars but other times new rules come because owners leave poop on trails and ruin it for everybody
Oh! I did not even want to GO THERE!!! PLEASE CLEAN UP YOUR PETS MESS!!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #48

Off leash

"Only stayed at 2 camp grounds, the rest of the time we are at the race track or dry camping with friends in the middle of nowhere. Have not had a problem in the 2 camp grounds I've been to with having my boxer/ rhodesian ridgeback/ pit mix off leash. Both places had dog parks and the owners dogs were there too. Saying that, he has been trained to listen do to his size so the Gf can walk him, not that he's bad or hard to handle, he's just 70lbs of muscle. He follows me every where and doesn't run off. So off leash as much as possible. He does walk on a leash.

If campground said he had to be on a lead while at camper I wouldn't be camping there, he would be panicking being tied to something all the time. But if they had a rule for a tether I'd have to respect it."

It does not matter how well trained they are. Good dogs can get something into their head and do something bad. I am a Doberman owner. I always keep mine tethered or on leash because it does not matter how nice they are, I have found a lot of people (even dog lovers) get uncomfortable around them because of size and breed. My last two were the biggest sweethearts, but my current one not so much. If you were to let yours run loose in the same campground as me and your dog came up to my dog, well you would more than likely making an emergency trip to the vet. She was attacked by another dog and beat up pretty bad which is the reason she does not like other dogs. I would not consider it my fault either. I also let people know that pets need to be leashed.

I always pick up after my dog as well. I have seen a lot of people leave their little dog dropping because they figure they can since it is small. Every dog owner needs to take other people into consideration when they take their dogs out. If I am in the middle of no where and no human, I will let my dog run for exercise, but then they go right back on leash. I read in another post about dog runs. I always wait until it is empty and then take mine in. If someone comes up wanting to use the run, I ask them to wait while I put mine back on leash.

Being a responsible pet owner not only makes our outing more pleasurable, but it makes our neighboring campers outing pleasurable as well.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

Old 02-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #49

We always have ours on a leash. It's safer for our dogs, you never know what kind of distraction may appear. As often as possible we find off leash dog parks or dog beaches.

The two golden doodles belong to our traveling buddies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5754.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	100223  

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
Old 02-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #50

Long, but not too long cable attached to the trailer stab, he loves laying under the trailer anyway.
Only IRRESPONSIBLE OWNERS would let their pets, especially dogs run loose in a CG.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #51
Gold Miner At Heart

We were at the beach last October and had our 18 yr old Schnoodle in a play pen next to our chairs. This woman came walking up and said "Ohhhhh how cute, can I pet your little dog". I said he's old and will bite; Even though he'd never bitten anyone before dogs will be dogs. I had no more said that when she said; "Oh he wouldn't hurt anyone." And then proceeded to reach into the pen and start petting him. Yep, he for some reason didn't like her and bit her. She jumped back in shock and I said "I told you." She just walked away. Can't fix stupid.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #52

Our two are either inside or on a 6' leash. Will not stay at a CG without that rule. They have a fenced yard at home and are well behaved ~ even look forward to the leash. They will never be in your site and do not want to be intruded upon in ours.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #53

All kids kept inside and on a leash while on a walk. A Pocket Beagle's nose operates their brain and gone with the sighting or scent of a bunny.👀/👃 (&#128048
Old 02-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-t View Post
We were at the beach last October and had our 18 yr old Schnoodle in a play pen next to our chairs. This woman came walking up and said "Ohhhhh how cute, can I pet your little dog". I said he's old and will bite; Even though he'd never bitten anyone before dogs will be dogs. I had no more said that when she said; "Oh he wouldn't hurt anyone." And then proceeded to reach into the pen and start petting him. Yep, he for some reason didn't like her and bit her. She jumped back in shock and I said "I told you." She just walked away. Can't fix stupid.

Good. My little one may do the same at some point. The old one would never. Just talk to them in a calm voice and keep your hands to yourself.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #55

Ours are together in a large crate outside or, when we are also outside with them, tethered to a tree or picnic bench. They are never unsecured or off leash while in the campground. It makes me very angry when other campers have an unsecured dog ... even if it is friendly. My rescued pitbull was abused and used as a "bait dog" in a fighting operation. He is friendly if introduced properly, but if unleashed dogs run up to him, he will assume they mean him harm and react accordingly. He has been attacked three times when he was on leash - by a golden retriever, a cattle dog, and a Wheaten terrier - each of whom was off-leash. I hate having to kick someone else's dog, but I will if I have to. In the altercation with the golden retriever, my husband was bitten. And of course, everyone wants to believe the pitbull is the aggressor. So if I see someone in a campground and their dog is not secured, I march right over and politely ask them to secure their dog.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #56

I want my dogs leashed for their safety.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Old 02-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #57

On leash for walks. In pet fenced "yard" at the camper. We have two fences so it's a pretty big area, about 10 X 18. Zip tied to the bumper and the A frame tongue then stretched out square. We reinforce the fence with 4 ft rebar pounded in the ground every other section and zip tied. Green snow fence along the bottom of camper and behind the steps so they can't sneak under. They can go in and out at will when the door to the camper is open. We set up inside the fence so we all hang out together. Two 100+ Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs. They love it!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_6&sr=8-6
Old 02-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #58

My issue is simple with dogs roaming free. Owners cant clean up the land mines if they don't know their dog left one. That's the nicest way I can say it and also give the benefit of the doubt that all the dog owners clean up after their dog. People that don't own dogs, aren't looking for dog $h_t in their campsite. And that is the thing I take issue with regarding not tethering your animal. It shows complete disregard for everyone that is ultimately going to step in your dogs booby traps, lol.

This will be our first season with a dog (we got a Chihuahua back in Oct), so I was very curious to see the responses on this thread, and wanted to give a little perspective from a (former) non dog owner.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #59
Steelhorzz

I have no problems restraining my dog at campsites. Either my Pug is inside asleep on the couch, or outside on my lap asleep 🐶
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Old 02-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #60

We have two little guys and my two little dogs should have no impact on the enjoyment of anyone else in the campground. They don't bark and they are on leashes when outside. When outside, we are always outside with them and they are always picked up after.

Wish people with kids used similar rules with their little ones.
Closed Thread