View Poll Results: How do you restrain your pet
Keep them on a tether/leash always? 94 82.46%
They just hang out at the campsite? 10 8.77%
Keep them in the camper? 8 7.02%
Just let them run free through the CG? 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #31
We need more pet free Campgrounds. I feel sorry for the poor animals that have to be on a lease all the time. They need freedom to run. My best suggestion is maybe you should leave them at home.

2009 Georgetown GTX3600
2005 Honda Trike

Nights Out: 2010=104, 2011=118, 2012=96, 2013=114, 2014=120 & 2105=112
Old 02-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #32
I leave them at a kennel or at home and pay someone to watch after them. The campgrounds I frequent don't allow unattended pets. How can I run/fish/hike/bicycle race/visit museums/go to plays/go antique shopping, etc, if you need to pet-sit at the camper? My cats might get lost, cat litter pan may be unpleasant in confined space of camper. Dog might bark at new surroundings and disturb others.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #33
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
Unfortunately, litigation has changed this country forever ... and not for the better!
Oh so true!!!
Old 02-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #34
(Dry Huunday)
Sometimes "move your feet lose your seat" comes into play if I decide to take one of his sisters for a walk without him....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10686719_972377362776215_6390713309647017543_n.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	100221  

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 02-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #35
Originally Posted by Flnomad View Post
We need more pet free Campgrounds. I feel sorry for the poor animals that have to be on a lease all the time. They need freedom to run. My best suggestion is maybe you should leave them at home.
I don't lease my pets, I own them.
I wish there were cigarette free or screaming kids free campgrounds.
I have no issue at all with keeping my dog on a leash if that is the campground rules. Why I do have an issue with is a campground charging an extra fee for me to have a dog there. I was at Douthat State Park and they charged extra for a dog. Meanwhile we had to listen to screaming kids at the site across form us the entire weekend and they had a small mulch fire where someone tossed a cigarette.
2016 Flagstaff 23LB
Old 02-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #36
When stopping overnight, our Dachshund and Chihuahua are restrained by 2 retractable leashes that I attach to the handrail by the door. When we stay longer, we have two pens that we put together. It accommodates our two and our daughters Chihuahua. We walk them on leashes too. When we leave them at the campsite, they are in their crates in the trailer. We also camp with two indoor cats who stay in the trailer.
2017 Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2016 Rockwood MiniLite 2503S (2015-2016)
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
Old 02-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #37
We have an English Setter and a Lab that are always with us. While at the campsite, we use a long training lead (about 16') attached to their harness and either the picnic table or the TT step. They are always on a 6' or shorter leash for their multiple walks each day. We have been "attacked" multiple times on our walks by dogs not restrained. Luckily, the "attack" dogs are just trying to make friends, but you never know. It's very frightening for us because we know our dogs would always try to protect us if they perceived real danger. The worst campground for this issue is First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach, VA. We have never seen the leash rule enforced. Our dogs are on a leash even when swimming; its for their safety and our peace of mind.

Don and Laura + Critters, Eloise and Cooper
Chesapeake, VA
Old 02-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #38
Leash rules

Campground Nazis? The rules regarding tethers and leashes are in place BECAUSE of folks like you.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #39
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
Just a quick poll to see what others do to restrain your pets (dogs mainly). I've noticed more CGs getting stricter on leash laws. And most of the state and fed CGs won't allow any tethers to trees these days. We have a 5 year old yellow lab who likes to lay by the camper/table/ basically wherever we are. We've had camp hosts stop and tell us the dog needs to be on a leash or other restraint. Seems to me if the dog is laying on the ground when someone walks up, logic says there won't be an issue. Just wondering if the campground nazi's are increasing across the country...?
If the "Nazi's" allow you to leave your dog off leash, how can he require your neighbor to restrain his dog that might not be so friendly? As a campground host, I've been called out of bed late at night when two unrestrained dogs began fighting, then the owners joined in. Getting between two boneheads about to start throwing punches isn't what I volunteer for.
I also have a well-behaved dog, but she's leashed in campgrounds.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #40
My kids stay leashed when outside. My main concern is their safety from other animals both wild and domestic. My old guy fell off a bridge last summer while following me on leash so now I know to be more careful. I love the joke about a motel policy that says if your pet will vouch for you, you will be allowed to stay with him, her or them!!!

"Lurch" = Georgetown 2011 330TS
Pilot = Bob & Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = Hikaru & Shikibu
Closed Thread