Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How do you restrain your pet
Keep them on a tether/leash always? 94 82.46%
They just hang out at the campsite? 10 8.77%
Keep them in the camper? 8 7.02%
Just let them run free through the CG? 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
If the "Nazi's" allow you to leave your dog off leash, how can he require your neighbor to restrain his dog that might not be so friendly? As a campground host, I've been called out of bed late at night when two unrestrained dogs began fighting, then the owners joined in. Getting between two boneheads about to start throwing punches isn't what I volunteer for.
I also have a well-behaved dog, but she's leashed in campgrounds.
We've had nights where the host does their rounds and my lab is laying at my feet. He never gets up but I have been chewed out for not having him tied. That's why I say "Nazis". Some CG hosts seem to hate their job and take an adversarial tact immediately even before a "hello, how are you doing tonight".

If my dog is off the leash, it means he's laying down and I'm always within arms reach. I understand the need for the rules but can't we all just get along and be friendly?? That's the whole reason we camp is because most campers are courteous and friendly. 98% of the time he's tethered to the picnic table.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
We have two little guys and my two little dogs should have no impact on the enjoyment of anyone else in the campground. They don't bark and they are on leashes when outside. When outside, we are always outside with them and they are always picked up after.

Wish people with kids used similar rules with their little ones.
100% agree. Actually, rarely camp unless school is in session. Time to have the boat on the ocean chasing fish as too few parents have control of their kids.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
We've had nights where the host does their rounds and my lab is laying at my feet. He never gets up but I have been chewed out for not having him tied. That's why I say "Nazis". Some CG hosts seem to hate their job and take an adversarial tact immediately even before a "hello, how are you doing tonight".

If my dog is off the leash, it means he's laying down and I'm always within arms reach. I understand the need for the rules but can't we all just get along and be friendly?? That's the whole reason we camp is because most campers are courteous and friendly. 98% of the time he's tethered to the picnic table.
Many come where the rules are known and expected to be enforced. If you do not like the rules go somewhere else.

I was at a campground where a dog sat by the owner until anyone came by then he/she would stand up and watch them. After dinner one evening a volunteer camp Nazi saw this happening and told the owner the dog had to be on a leash of 6'. After conversation amounting to refusal the Nazi was told he did not own a leash. The volunteer left and returned with a piece of light rope and said it could be made into a leash to comply. The dogs owner refused. A short time later it was dark when the police arrived and told them to pack up and leave. Wonderful! All CGs should enforce their rules ~~ all the rules.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #64

We always have our dogs on a leash -either looped through the handle of the leash to a bench, or some other sturdy, solid object. We have three APBT, one who is part bulldog and fat. Aside from people being uneasy about the breed, I want no part of the blame if someone's unleashed dog approaches mine. You never know when they will meet a dog they don't like. They are walked on leashes, we clean up after them, and we warn people that if they're going to pet them, they will likely be jumped on and licked.
OP- being an arms length away is the same as you being in the camper and the dog outside if something were to peak it's interest. I understand what you're saying but if your dog just lays by your feet, there is no harm in him laying by your feet while tethered. Like someone else mentioned - I love all dogs, I don't want to have to kick another dog to prevent a fight but if I have to I will use whatever force necessary to ensure my dogs are not in an altercation due to someone else's negligence.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #65

x2 on the unruly kids. My dogs are always leashed and cleaned up after. My pet peeve are the folks with small dashboard dogs who think it's cute when they growl and snarl at my two large dogs(St Bernard). That's aggressive behavior and if my dogs responded in kind and grabbed one of the small one guess who get the blame.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by milvet33 View Post
x2 on the unruly kids. My dogs are always leashed and cleaned up after. My pet peeve are the folks with small dashboard dogs who think it's cute when they growl and snarl at my two large dogs(St Bernard). That's aggressive behavior and if my dogs responded in kind and grabbed one of the small one guess who get the blame.
Oh yeah, the little ankle biter owners are sometimes more annoying than the dogs. (Note I said sometimes, this doesn't apply to all small dog owners). I have a 60# german shepherd mix that goes with me almost everywhere. I was walking him through the campground and a couple of little ankle biters were off leash and came running out to us barking and throwing a fit. One of the people on the camp site said "get him poochy". Guess they thought it was cute that their little pretend dogs were barking at my dog. Someone else jumped up and ran out to retrieve the dogs.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #67

I don't have a problem with dog owners that tie there dog up to the picnic table as long as the picnic table is not right beside my camper. I don't like to call the campground office and complain because they know who called. I like dogs, our last one died a few years ago and it's like losing a child. DW said that was not happening again. It's not the dogs we have a problem with its the owners. From now on I'll just take my silent dog whistle with me and blow when I have a problem. I wish some owners could hear the whistle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #68

My dogs are like my children so asking me to leave them at home would be like me asking you to leave your children at home. That being said, our dogs are always in our "fenced yard" by the trailer (xpens set up and secured to the ground and tt), inside the tt, or crated in the van. We are always with the dogs in the "yard" the same way I would never leave a small child unattended. I am a dog person and have been all my life but I'm on the side of "they need to be on lead" group. As much for my dogs protection as for others protection and comfort. I realize many dogs will sit/lay at an owners feet but this is what happened to me. I was at a dog show with my dog in my lap, holding loosely to his collar, a rabbit ran by and, even though I'm pretty fast, he was out and gone before I could react. Luckily he's a good boy and when the rabbit went to ground we called and he came back. But - lesson learned - even when a dog is very close they are much faster than us and can be gone in a second. For your pets safety, please keep them leashed or contained. cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Oh yeah, the little ankle biter owners are sometimes more annoying than the dogs. (Note I said sometimes, this doesn't apply to all small dog owners). I have a 60# german shepherd mix that goes with me almost everywhere. I was walking him through the campground and a couple of little ankle biters were off leash and came running out to us barking and throwing a fit. One of the people on the camp site said "get him poochy". Guess they thought it was cute that their little pretend dogs were barking at my dog. Someone else jumped up and ran out to retrieve the dogs.

I had that happen at Redfish lake last year. They didn't call him poochy, they called him killer and were laughing...that is until my 120 lbs Malamute decided the yapping at his feet was going to stop and he wanted a new chew toy. Good thing mine was on a leash, and good thing killer was fast. And they had the nerve to yell at me to contain my dog. I won't say what I replied back it is not for reading on a family rated site.

But if my dogs are outside, they are on a leash or they are tethered to 20 foot cables, which I will wrap around trees of picnic tables to shorten if necessary. And never had a problem with any camp host even with the longer cables. But I only camp in Forest and BLM sites. All they seem to care is that the dogs cannot roam.

Have yet to figure out why some believe they don't have to follow the rules that others are following.

And whatever they drop out of their rear ends, I pickup with poop bags. Which is more than I can say for the grizzly that pooped outside my trailer, at the foot of my step, last year when camping in WY.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #70

forgot to add to the previous post. My dogs are sighthounds, Italian greyhounds. they will run after ANYTHING that runs. Once loose they are impossible to catch unless they want to be (or you get very lucky). Even small dogs are fast compared to humans but they are no match for a wild animal that wants a quick meal. keep your pets safe and on lead. cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #71
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I don't have a problem with dog owners that tie there dog up to the picnic table as long as the picnic table is not right beside my camper. I don't like to call the campground office and complain because they know who called. I like dogs, our last one died a few years ago and it's like losing a child. DW said that was not happening again. It's not the dogs we have a problem with its the owners. From now on I'll just take my silent dog whistle with me and blow when I have a problem. I wish some owners could hear the whistle.

You say it's "the owners and not the dog" and you also say you like dogs...but yet you are going to harass and annoy animals with a dog whistle?????????
That's in complete contradiction to everything you state, not to mention unfair to persecute that dog but every other dog within earshot of your whistle. Which will probably make your situation even worse. Please sir I implore you to NOT do this. Make complaints to the office, don't instigate. Please.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 02-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #72

We have a rescued "ditch" puppy. Medium mixed breed dog, loves everyone. Rarely barks, Stays where put. Either in TT, or on lease for walk, or short cable attached to camper handle so we can hook him up at night to go outside by himself. Never been a problem, but depends on each dog.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #73

Thumbs down WHY??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
You say it's "the owners and not the dog" and you also say you like dogs...but yet you are going to harass and annoy animals with a dog whistle?????????
That's in complete contradiction to everything you state, not to mention unfair to persecute that dog but every other dog within earshot of your whistle. Which will probably make your situation even worse. Please sir I implore you to NOT do this. Make complaints to the office, don't instigate. Please.
X10!!!
Old 02-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Double X10!
He thinks he is being cute, and won't get caught, but really doesn't want to experience what would happen to him the minute the dogs' owners figured out who was creating the problem in the first place.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Old 02-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #75

Let your dog run loose, then blam-- a rattel snake hits him,I guess now you don't have to worry about picking up poop or running loose.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post

Last year we ran into the same couple at 2 different campgrounds. They had a border collie that was left loose but never left its site unless on a walk with its owners and was the friendliest, most well behaved dog I had ever seen in my life. Everybody in the camping loop got to know the dog by name and no campers complained. He was either a superior dog or had superior owners.
My two Beagles are the same way but I sometimes have to tie them up if the site asks me to. I understand. Not everyone's dogs are as well trained as mine.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmi View Post
Let your dog run loose, then blam-- a rattel snake hits him,I guess now you don't have to worry about picking up poop or running loose.
The same could be said for the kids or the owners.

Life is life.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
The same could be said for the kids or the owners.

Life is life.
Leashes for all!....
Old 02-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #79

People that let there dogs run free and don't follow the rules and are the same people that don't clean up after there pets.
I have watched several people at several campgrounds in different states. I was amazed as I watched the owners watch the dog from a distance and didn't pick up the mess. Pretending they didn't see anything.

I've had several dog visitors at night come into my site without there owners. My dog went nuts as these dogs invaded his territory .

People need to grow up and respect there surroundings. If you don't want to follow the rules then don't camp in that campground.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #80

I hate it when others feel the rules don't apply to them ..... I do not know how many hundreds of times I have heard a fellow camper say This is the first time they didn't stay at the camp site. It happens every time we camp !!!

Our dogs are never on a leash at home but rarely off leash at the camp site or in their fence........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beachnov2014 002.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	100250  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Closed Thread