Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #121

I love dogs,,, I just know there are some places that they can not go,,,
I guess it is best to train them when they are young,,, that it is ok for them from time to time to be alone !!! Many animals,,, like people need some alone time !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #122
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I love dogs,,, I just know there are some places that they can not go,,,
I guess it is best to train them when they are young,,, that it is ok for them from time to time to be alone !!! Many animals,,, like people need some alone time !!!
Agreed! Training is essential and must start early!
But when we go camping, we take ours with us. We plan our vacations that way. If others want to leave theirs safely behind, then that's fine with me, I don't lose a second of thought over it.
Its our vacation and having them with us is what we enjoy.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #123

We take both of our dogs with us wherever we go. When we go out fishing or go out to eat we just close the blinds and turn the radio on for them and you would never know that there was two dogs in the camper. We have never had anybody complain to us that they were barking while we were gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1455292038327.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	99458  
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud1 View Post
We take both of our dogs with us wherever we go. When we go out fishing or go out to eat we just close the blinds and turn the radio on for them and you would never know that there was two dogs in the camper. We have never had anybody complain to us that they were barking while we were gone.
Sounds like you have a pair of very good,,, well trained Dogs !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
We have a Mini-Pekingese and I will not ever leave her in the car/truck when we travel or are 'in-town' when we stop at any place. We have a carry bag for her (which looks like a large purse with screening) and I will carry her through any place that the wife and I want to go. She never barks or makes any noises in her 'bag'. I would never forgive myself if something happened to the 'little girl' if we left her in the truck. If the wife and I feel that there are certain places that the 'little girl' absolutely should not go, then the wife and I will not go there. Once at a campground we will leave the 'little girl' if we feel that it is safe for her, if not, then she goes with us.
If you feel there are places she shouldn't go? What about places that say no dogs allowed. Like a grocery store? You take her in anyway?
Old 02-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #126
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Years ago we had a chihuahua that fit in my hand. I won a stay at a luxurious hotel in Chicago. We had to take her with us so I put her in my inside sport coat pocket. The ride up in the elevator with the bellman driving was hysterical. I continually made throat clearing sounds as our Tia Maria growled away. Bellman never new.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #127
2012 Solera

Our Golden Retriever is a GREAT buddy.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #128

Taking dogs camping.

I have to wonder what people that say they take there dogs every where do when they are home,,, and have to go shopping ??? They must have to leave the dogs @ home @ some point ??? You can't take dogs everywhere !!! Can you ??? And you can't leave them in a HOT car !!!

There are people who leaves their dogs in hot cars, but there is a lot of people who leave kids in hot cars as well. Here in S.Texas people leaving kids/pets in cars is a common occurrence. I would not have any hesitation what so ever of breaking the window out if I see they are in distress. I would call 911 first and wait, but I won't let them suffer either. Unfortunately the police don't respond very quickly for dogs as they do for children. When traveling, if I will leave my dog in trailer unless we are going someplace pets are not welcome. Otherwise she goes with us and rides in the back of the truck. It we do have to stop some place, we put her in her crate and open the side windows and the back of our topper so she has plenty of air. I also leave plenty of water for her. She does not bark in the trailer either unless provoked. We close the shaded so she cannot see out.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #129
Site Team

Here I can legally break a vehicle window and rescue any animal, or child, I believe is in distress. I'll be calling 911 to document my actions, and to get some jerk a good ticket, but I don't have to wait for a LEO or Animal Control to arrive to act.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Here I can legally break a vehicle window and rescue any animal, or child, I believe is in distress. I'll be calling 911 to document my actions, and to get some jerk a good ticket, but I don't have to wait for a LEO or Animal Control to arrive to act.
Not in all states.................. Here you would probably go to jail and not get to pass go..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #131

We take our Boxers & sometimes sons dog camping. They are perfectly fine being alone in the trailer much better an a small cage at the kennel back home........ If I could just teach Sadie to drive..... ....but they love riding..... When they are home they stay alone while we are at work.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sadielillie.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	99530  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #132
Rick and Sandy Dyer

I would suggest a rescued Bishone pup. Loyal loving and they never forget you saved them

Rick and Sandy Dyer

2016 Cardinal
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #133
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Not in all states.................. Here you would probably go to jail and not get to pass go..........
I agree...not even all of Georgia has the same law. My post was edited and the word "Here" at the very beginning was cut off along with a quote from a previous poster.

But regardless of where I'm at if I saw a dangerous situation I'd probably just let the chips fall where they may...
Old 02-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #134

Quote:
I agree...not even all of Georgia has the same law. My post was edited and the word "Here" at the very beginning was cut off along with a quote from a previous poster.

But regardless of where I'm at if I saw a dangerous situation I'd probably just let the chips fall where they may...
Definitely understand that......... me too.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #135

Quote:
You best be extremely certain it is a distress situation as it can come back to bite you. In many areas even if that is the case you cannot legally break in and must wait for police or fire/rescue.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #136

I guess (even though our white dog was rescued) having a couple bad experiences from rescues I would not try it again. The worst time with the local SPCA we were turned down with at the time our 7 and 10 year old boys crying their eyes out with their hearts set on a beautiful Lab. We were told we were bad people since that we wouldn't take into our house and spay & neuter all the feral cats that belong to the neighbor.... they were & are sometimes on our property & it appeared that we needed to do the same with the deer....... we live in the country...... So we no longer donate to the SPCA or any others.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I guess (even though our white dog was rescued) having a couple bad experiences from rescues I would not try it again. The worst time with the local SPCA we were turned down with at the time our 7 and 10 year old boys crying their eyes out with their hearts set on a beautiful Lab. We were told we were bad people since that we wouldn't take into our house and spay & neuter all the feral cats that belong to the neighbor.... they were & are sometimes on our property & it appeared that we needed to do the same with the deer....... we live in the country...... So we no longer donate to the SPCA or any others.........
I also had a bad experience with the local SPCA. But,there are other rescue groups besides the SPCA. I will never "buy" a dog from a puppy mill breeder regardless of how reputable others say they are.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #138
Summer2Go

I am looking at Golden Doodles; golden Retriever/standard poodle mix. I had a golden that adopted me about 20 years ago. I played with him in my yard one Saturday, and he kept coming back. He would be waiting for me everyday when I came home from work. I finally found out where he came from, and adopted him, great dog. The secretary in my building was a 4H puppy raiser for The Seeing Eye, and her son grew up to work for them. The guide dogs are goldens, Labradors, and shepards mostly, they need smart dog with a good temperament, and some fail the training, they only take the best of the best. To get a pedigree bred dog costs an arm and a leg. I feel bad about not helping a rescue, but I figure it maybe the only pup I ever have.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
I also had a bad experience with the local SPCA. But,there are other rescue groups besides the SPCA. I will never "buy" a dog from a puppy mill breeder regardless of how reputable others say they are.
We have had issues with other so called rescue groups as well. I have a real problem rescue with groups that require their permission before a dog is put down. To me if our vet who we have been dealing with for 20 years says there is nothing else that can be done and the dog is suffering then that is between us and our vet not the rescue group.

Also someone dumped off a nice Boxer just before Christmas at our house and since we had her vetted and we found her to be heartworm positive no Boxer or other rescue group would take her............ If she would have got along with our white dog we would have kept her but our white dog is not social with all dogs.......... so we found her a home where she has been treated and very happy........ no thanks to a rescue.

The funny thing is over the years we have rescued many dogs who were placed by rescue groups.......... from their new owners............

I have only bought one dog our Boxer Sadie Maybe they would be considered a backyard breeder but they only wanted one litter from their Boxer and that was all they had. She is almost 9 now and yes I would with the circumstances do it again.

We have put no dogs down in 35 years. We have had at least 10 dogs in 35 years, we know our vet, and most of his staff on a first name basis, we have a 1/2 to an acre fenced yard ......... but to several of the rescue groups we don't deserve their time. Granted there are not too many rescue groups within 200 miles of us.......... So yes we rescue from individuals when we can but I am not beyond buying a dog from a breeder ........ but I wonder sometimes how many rescue groups can place any animals.

So for my rant as it is off topic but there are many good breeds of dogs. Most of ours have been big dogs (Golden Retriever, Lab, Dalmatian, Boxer, and pure mixes) but we do have one Hinez 57 small dog that is 16 years plus ....... but barks a lot so he usually has to stay behind.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #140

Your blond dog looks just like our Aiko that we rescued. She's 30 lbs very sweet and spoiled. We have no idea of her parentage - do you consider your dog to be a "breed"?
Lapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping