Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsy1313 View Post
Went to Alaska last year...2 months; 13,000 miles. Going again this year. Crossed border several times. Had all vet paperwork, health certificates and was never asked for it; had it all Ready to hand them, even asked once if they wanted to see it. All 3 dogs in back seat so they were seen. Same questions at each crossing both into US and Canada. Do you have firearms, alcohol, drugs, bear spray? Once asked about plants. Maybe we were lucky. I don't know but were never searched or had anything confiscated. Enjoy your trip, take a full gas can, and slow down and experience the beauty and wildlife!

Thank you, we will. We plan on a 3 month journey, Banff, Jasper, Alcan Dawson City and the Top of the world, Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Kenai, Valdez, Vancouver then back home to SC.Visit relatives in Idaho on the way home.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiewaggie View Post
We had all pet health documentation but they never asked to see it. They did ask if we had it. Canada took all our dogfood.

Thank you. Ironic. Our dog is named Maggie, we call her Maggie Waggie.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Old 05-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky55616 View Post
We took our 2 cats with us last summer to Alaska. We were told ahead of time that we needed paperwork from the vet showing current rabies and also showing a current vet examination that was dated within 30 days of crossing the border so we had all of that paperwork with us but were never asked for it at any border in Canada or the U.S. One of the cats even jumped in my lap while I was talking to the border patrol agent in Canada and they still did not ask for any paperwork.

The border patrol was very concerned about any fruits and vegetables crossing the border and confiscated all produce we were carrying.

Thank you!

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Old 05-11-2017, 05:24 AM   #24
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
I believe the entry requirements into Alaska are more stringent than entering Canada.

From the Alaskan State Veterinarian web site; "These animals require a current rabies vaccination if three (3) months of age or older and a small animal health certificate issued within 30 days of import."
Exactly. Having these documents will satisfy Canadian Law. The CBP may or may not ask for these documents upon entry, but you must have these documents with you, and they must be produced on-demand of any Canadian Official. This includes RCMP, Provincial Park Rangers or a local Constable.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #25
(Dry Huunday)

I think this is definitely a "better safe than sorry" scenario and well worth the cost of a vet visit to get a health checkup and records, just before you depart. If they never ask for documentation, then cool. BUT if they ask for it and you DON"T have it then that screws up your entire trip! Just my thoughts on this.

Have fun on your trip and remember we need pictures! Lots and lots of pictures!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
I think this is definitely a "better safe than sorry" scenario and well worth the cost of a vet visit to get a health checkup and records, just before you depart. If they never ask for documentation, then cool. BUT if they ask for it and you DON"T have it then that screws up your entire trip! Just my thoughts on this.

Have fun on your trip and remember we need pictures! Lots and lots of pictures!!

Thanks, I've always lived by "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Old 05-20-2017, 01:22 AM   #27

We had shot records and an international health record from our vet. We were asked if we had our dogs health cert when we crossed both borders. Only had to show them at the USA border in Montana. Go figure.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #28

Have traveled into Canada and Alaska several times. Always hand them the dog papers with my passport. They may open it to see it but never have studied it. Generally they just leave it alone, like it was just a piece of paper in their way. Never have had them check dog food. If you need to kennel a pet you will need current vaccination records, including kennel cough. In Alaska, especially, Sled dogs are high value and they aren't going to let just any pet in the kennel
Old 05-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #29

Thanks, we have given them the works.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV