Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #1

Kayaking with a dog

Does anyone kayak with their dog? I acquired a puppy in October and I知 hoping to teach him to ride in the kayak with me. Unfortunately the fiberglass kayak I presently own will not be suitable for the both of us. I知 looking for suggestions on brands and types; sit on tops, recreational, small tandem or perhaps a fishing kayak. He will probably be about 50 pounds no more than 60 pounds at most. We will paddle on calm inland lakes, well, I値l paddle he値l just sit there so I知 looking for decent stability, comfort and something that is not too heavy for one person to carry. Any suggestions or personal experience would be appreciated.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #2

We have two Ocean Kayaks, and the dogs get upset if they don't get to go. They sit or lay on top and after a few fall-ins (anticipated and near shore, so they could swim) they soon learned to keep still.

Next, we thought we could take the Ocean Kayaks on a rack on the pickup, but they're just long enough to cause trouble on a tight turn with the fifth wheel. We bought an OruKayak (Home | Oru Kayak | Explore outside the box) so we can still play on the water, but we can't take the 35 and 55 lb dogs with us. At least we haven't yet tried to strap them on...

Two other dogs and a great wife
NeedMoreLeisureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Site Team

We use a 2-person "open" kayak made by Sevylor; the Colorado model. It is easy to take along when trailering. There is some setup and take-down time as it is an inflatable. And it is not as efficient as a "hard" kayak. It is, however, extremely stable and tough. Even though it is only 11ft long, it carries me, my wife, and two 20 pounds terriers with no problem. It tracks pretty well as there is a moulded in "keel" and a fin-like strake at the back.

We chose this one after a lot of research. You are elevated off of the floor and there is good, adjustable back support.

http://www.amazon.com/Sevylor-Inflat.../dp/B0032GRD72
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #4

Kayaking with a dog

Thanks for the tips unfortunately these brands of kayaks aren稚 available to me. We have a great kayak shop here so I知 thinking of looking at Wilderness System Pungo 120 or 140 or a Perception Tribe 11.5, Prodigy 13.5 and see if I can locate a Necky with a large cockpit. A tandem would be a great option but they are heavier kayaks making it cumbersome to load, unload and get to the water by myself. Right now I知 leaning towards a recreational kayak with as much stability as possible as opposed to a sit on top. Both have advantages S.I.T. would be easier for doggy to enter and exit but that could end up being a disadvantage. Guess it will all come down to training, patience and being realistic after all he will only be 5 months old in a week. It might be a hit with baby Cattle Dog or a miss with him but I知 keeping my fingers crossed he is going to turn into a Paddle Dog. See you on the water.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #5

Some friends of ours kayak with their Husky. They have a tandem sit on top and the dog sits in the front and my buddy sits in the back. His wife goes with on a separate sit on top.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #6

I have a 16' Wilderness Tarpon 160. It is a sit on top and has a deck on the back where a medium sized dog could lay. It would take some training to get b it to stay there. It weighs about 65# so loading and unload I no without help can be c a challenge. We have not tried it with our 65# German Shepherd yet.

A friend used to transport his small dog on t b e deck of his kayak. He was VERY experienced and the dog was well trained.

We carry a inflatable open kayak in the MH. It has room for t b e dog but have not v tried thatvyet c either.

Btw: I personally prefer the sit on top over the standard flat water kayaks because they are easier to enter and exit and I feel cramped in the traditional ones.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

Hope you do well with the dog and the kayak. I just inherited our 80lb lab/border collie and he is going to have to learn to be in the canoe with me. He is pretty good, but I don't know how the canoe and he will mix, but we are going to give it a go in the spring. I know the canoe is much bigger, but I am bigger than kayak size and I often take my 30 year old daughter fishing with me. Hope we don't all meet swimming!!!
Old 12-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #8

We canoe with a 50lb standard poodle, she loves it and does well but has no sense of her contribution to balance. When she gets too far to one side I just lean a bit to the other side.

Other than that, no issues and she loves the attention she gets while we are paddling.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #9

Kayaking with a dog

Well the guy at the kayak shop got back to me about my inquiry over suitable kayaks to use with my dog. He sold me my first kayak which I still own and I took his kayaking class a really fun guy. He suggested the Wilderness System Pungo 120 or 140 or the Perception Sport Prodigy 135 all three have cockpits large enough to accommodate me and future Paddle Dog. He invited doggy to come along to give a paws up to the one he thought should be his new ride. Very excited will keep you posted on THE ADVENTURES OF SKEG THE KAYAKING WONDER PUPPY IN TRAINING
I値l have to make a quick decision as the shop closes on December 31 and reopens in April due to the freeze over here on the Great Lakes. May we all meet with smiles on our faces and dogs in our boats.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Colegrove View Post
Hope you do well with the dog and the kayak. I just inherited our 80lb lab/border collie and he is going to have to learn to be in the canoe with me. He is pretty good, but I don't know how the canoe and he will mix, but we are going to give it a go in the spring. I know the canoe is much bigger, but I am bigger than kayak size and I often take my 30 year old daughter fishing with me. Hope we don't all meet swimming!!!

By the way Scott the Border Collie/Lab mix is a wonderful dog heart of gold always means well.