Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #1

Kayaking with a dog

Does anyone kayak with their dog? I acquired a puppy in October and I’m hoping to teach him to ride in the kayak with me. Unfortunately the fiberglass kayak I presently own will not be suitable for the both of us. I’m looking for suggestions on brands and types; sit on tops, recreational, small tandem or perhaps a fishing kayak. He will probably be about 50 pounds no more than 60 pounds at most. We will paddle on calm inland lakes, well, I’ll paddle he’ll just sit there so I’m looking for decent stability, comfort and something that is not too heavy for one person to carry. Any suggestions or personal experience would be appreciated.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #2

We have two Ocean Kayaks, and the dogs get upset if they don't get to go. They sit or lay on top and after a few fall-ins (anticipated and near shore, so they could swim) they soon learned to keep still.

Next, we thought we could take the Ocean Kayaks on a rack on the pickup, but they're just long enough to cause trouble on a tight turn with the fifth wheel. We bought an OruKayak (Home | Oru Kayak | Explore outside the box) so we can still play on the water, but we can't take the 35 and 55 lb dogs with us. At least we haven't yet tried to strap them on...
NeedMoreLeisureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We use a 2-person "open" kayak made by Sevylor; the Colorado model. It is easy to take along when trailering. There is some setup and take-down time as it is an inflatable. And it is not as efficient as a "hard" kayak. It is, however, extremely stable and tough. Even though it is only 11ft long, it carries me, my wife, and two 20 pounds terriers with no problem. It tracks pretty well as there is a moulded in "keel" and a fin-like strake at the back.

We chose this one after a lot of research. You are elevated off of the floor and there is good, adjustable back support.

http://www.amazon.com/Sevylor-Inflat.../dp/B0032GRD72
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #4

Kayaking with a dog

Thanks for the tips unfortunately these brands of kayaks aren’t available to me. We have a great kayak shop here so I’m thinking of looking at Wilderness System Pungo 120 or 140 or a Perception Tribe 11.5, Prodigy 13.5 and see if I can locate a Necky with a large cockpit. A tandem would be a great option but they are heavier kayaks making it cumbersome to load, unload and get to the water by myself. Right now I’m leaning towards a recreational kayak with as much stability as possible as opposed to a sit on top. Both have advantages S.I.T. would be easier for doggy to enter and exit but that could end up being a disadvantage. Guess it will all come down to training, patience and being realistic after all he will only be 5 months old in a week. It might be a hit with baby Cattle Dog or a miss with him but I’m keeping my fingers crossed he is going to turn into a Paddle Dog. See you on the water.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #5

Some friends of ours kayak with their Husky. They have a tandem sit on top and the dog sits in the front and my buddy sits in the back. His wife goes with on a separate sit on top.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #6

I have a 16' Wilderness Tarpon 160. It is a sit on top and has a deck on the back where a medium sized dog could lay. It would take some training to get b it to stay there. It weighs about 65# so loading and unload I no without help can be c a challenge. We have not tried it with our 65# German Shepherd yet.

A friend used to transport his small dog on t b e deck of his kayak. He was VERY experienced and the dog was well trained.

We carry a inflatable open kayak in the MH. It has room for t b e dog but have not v tried thatvyet c either.

Btw: I personally prefer the sit on top over the standard flat water kayaks because they are easier to enter and exit and I feel cramped in the traditional ones.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

Hope you do well with the dog and the kayak. I just inherited our 80lb lab/border collie and he is going to have to learn to be in the canoe with me. He is pretty good, but I don't know how the canoe and he will mix, but we are going to give it a go in the spring. I know the canoe is much bigger, but I am bigger than kayak size and I often take my 30 year old daughter fishing with me. Hope we don't all meet swimming!!!
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #8

We canoe with a 50lb standard poodle, she loves it and does well but has no sense of her contribution to balance. When she gets too far to one side I just lean a bit to the other side.

Other than that, no issues and she loves the attention she gets while we are paddling.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #9

Kayaking with a dog

Well the guy at the kayak shop got back to me about my inquiry over suitable kayaks to use with my dog. He sold me my first kayak which I still own and I took his kayaking class a really fun guy. He suggested the Wilderness System Pungo 120 or 140 or the Perception Sport Prodigy 135 all three have cockpits large enough to accommodate me and future Paddle Dog. He invited doggy to come along to give a paws up to the one he thought should be his new ride. Very excited will keep you posted on THE ADVENTURES OF SKEG THE KAYAKING WONDER PUPPY IN TRAINING
I’ll have to make a quick decision as the shop closes on December 31 and reopens in April due to the freeze over here on the Great Lakes. May we all meet with smiles on our faces and dogs in our boats.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Colegrove View Post
Hope you do well with the dog and the kayak. I just inherited our 80lb lab/border collie and he is going to have to learn to be in the canoe with me. He is pretty good, but I don't know how the canoe and he will mix, but we are going to give it a go in the spring. I know the canoe is much bigger, but I am bigger than kayak size and I often take my 30 year old daughter fishing with me. Hope we don't all meet swimming!!!

By the way Scott the Border Collie/Lab mix is a wonderful dog heart of gold always means well.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Does anyone kayak with their dog? I acquired a puppy in October and I’m hoping to teach him to ride in the kayak with me. Unfortunately the fiberglass kayak I presently own will not be suitable for the both of us. I’m looking for suggestions on brands and types; sit on tops, recreational, small tandem or perhaps a fishing kayak. He will probably be about 50 pounds no more than 60 pounds at most. We will paddle on calm inland lakes, well, I’ll paddle he’ll just sit there so I’m looking for decent stability, comfort and something that is not too heavy for one person to carry. Any suggestions or personal experience would be appreciated.
We had an Ocean Kayak and a schipperke dog. When we sailed for 5 years Ajax rode on the front standing up. Many times the waves were breaking on to shore or we would go in by dingy. My wife use to surf her way to the beach with our dog. They dumped alot because of the break at times but she just grabbed him and pulled the kayak on the beach. The funny part was getting back out past the break. So yes it easy to train your dog to do it. After a few times he knew where to stand and put his paws down. Him and my wife use to be on that Kayak all the time. It was only about 8' long sit on top type....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #12

Kayaking with a dog

So we went to the kayak shop looked at several kayaks the one puppy was most comfortable in was the Perception Prodigy 13.5. I loved the Pungo 140 and even had the opportunity to buy a 2015 in Midnight Blue beautiful boat but it was a tight squeeze. Since puppy is not done growing it seemed risky and with an end of season discount we went with the Prodigy 13.5 a little heavier than I would have liked, however, the 22 x 80 inch cockpit will allow plenty of room for growth and it is rudder compatible. Being a poly boat I won’t need to be worried about scratching or chips like with my fiberglass kayak. Now I need to research the best dog PFDs. So the training begins in the barn for now as it is 19 Fahrenheit.
Happy New Years
Old 01-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Now I need to research the best dog PFDs.
We have this one for our Standard, she is 50lbs and the Large fits her great.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
So we went to the kayak shop looked at several kayaks the one puppy was most comfortable in was the Perception Prodigy 13.5. I loved the Pungo 140 and even had the opportunity to buy a 2015 in Midnight Blue beautiful boat but it was a tight squeeze. Since puppy is not done growing it seemed risky and with an end of season discount we went with the Prodigy 13.5 a little heavier than I would have liked, however, the 22 x 80 inch cockpit will allow plenty of room for growth and it is rudder compatible. Being a poly boat I won’t need to be worried about scratching or chips like with my fiberglass kayak. Now I need to research the best dog PFDs. So the training begins in the barn for now as it is 19 Fahrenheit.
Happy New Years
Check out DR. Foster pet supply, or even west marine. The main thing is that you have a built in handle on top to grab and won't choke the dog when you pull on it. When we were landed and tied off on a high sea wall with a ladder I use to throw a rope up to my wife and tie the handle to it then pick up the dog and she pulled him the rest of way up as I climbed behind him. Worked well but had to make sure of the padding and fit. But he was only 25 lbs. Then when we left she got in the dingy and I dropped him down to her. You will be surprised how well they will adapt. May I suggest that you block the Kayak for movement when you put him in to get used to it. My dog use to just love going in that kayak with her. He would just stand there right on the bow, just learned his spot and balance. Is that a sit on top type like an Ocean Kayak?

Old 01-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #15

Kayaking with a dog

I’ve heard good things about the Kyjen PFD and I think I might be able to buy it locally another one that has my attention is the Salus Skippy Dog Vest I like the way the flotation material is laid out on the sides and under the belly with some running up the chest and two handles to lift him if need be.
The Prodigy 13.5 is a sit in side so it will require him to jump in and out on command. It’s was an untested decision whether to go with a sit on top or recreational sit inside ultimately I decided based on his personality I just suspected he might not ride on a SOT. Right know the kayak is in the barn and I’m clicker training him to jump in, sit and lay down. With all the treats involved he doesn’t mind gentle movement I’m sure once I add being on the water it will require more time before he is comfortable. Being a very high energy dog it will be interesting to see if he’ll want to stay in the kayak I’m expecting to be dumped many times and won’t be venturing too far from shore for awhile. Even the movement of the paddles may be a challenge for him.
So offroad and gljurczyk how long did it take for your dogs to become comfortable with riding in the kayak?
Old 01-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #16

It didn't take long at all, but was hesitant to begin with, but it was open and not closed he use just step down to the rear platform and my wife was sideways to the boat the stern was a cut away and I would just help him by picking him up and placing him in. He knew his spot to stand for the ride after I would say maybe a week once a day. But he also lived on a sail boat for 5 years. It was harder for me to get him to pee on the deck then anything that took about a month. He adapted well in our travels. It was a must to begin with we had to get him to shore. I think he realized that to be honest. He use to just jump in the dingy but couldn't do that with the kayak. He use to jump in when on shore then my wife would walk out with him past the breakers then she got in. You will love it with your dog. Just take your time and don't push he will do it. If I can scan a picture in from our album I will post it. The paddle part I would say never bother him because he always stood up with his paws on the bow and was looking forward. Even getting hit with a wave didn't bother him unless they dumped, but that what was nice about the sit on top one for that. Post a picture with him in it. Get him used to the vest first. My only suggestion to you is a lot of praise and good boys. small steps, it will work and you will gain great memories to look back on.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #17

The Kygen is very secure and easy to put on.
She was a bit unsure about getting into the canoe the first time, but after 30min on the river she loved it.

We stop periodically so she got lots of practice getting in and out on our first run.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #18

I love my Pungo 120. Very stable. Easy to paddle. Large cockpit for man and dog. The dog will probably rest between your outstretched legs. If anyone has an adult dog of your breed, take him to the kayak store to try it out. Would a canoe be better with a big dog?

I would hesitate to go to the 140, which is 14 feet long and weighs well over 50 pounds. That is a large craft to load onto you roof top carrier after a long day of paddling.
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #19

Quote:
I’ve heard good things about the Kyjen PFD and I think I might be able to buy it locally another one that has my attention is the Salus Skippy Dog Vest I like the way the flotation material is laid out on the sides and under the belly with some running up the chest and two handles to lift him if need be.
The Prodigy 13.5 is a sit in side so it will require him to jump in and out on command. It’s was an untested decision whether to go with a sit on top or recreational sit inside ultimately I decided based on his personality I just suspected he might not ride on a SOT. Right know the kayak is in the barn and I’m clicker training him to jump in, sit and lay down. With all the treats involved he doesn’t mind gentle movement I’m sure once I add being on the water it will require more time before he is comfortable. Being a very high energy dog it will be interesting to see if he’ll want to stay in the kayak I’m expecting to be dumped many times and won’t be venturing too far from shore for awhile. Even the movement of the paddles may be a challenge for him.
So offroad and gljurczyk how long did it take for your dogs to become comfortable with riding in the kayak?
Here is the only picture of Ajax in a ocean kayak. That was his spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ajax kayak.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	621.4 KB
ID:	68088  

Old 01-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #20

Kayaking with a dog

Puppy looks at home in the Ocean Kayak. The Pungo 140 was a light 58 pound LOL the Prodigy is a little weighter but I've come up with some interesting ways to load kayaks on the truck and on the trailer by myself. There are some pictures in my album. I've enclosed a picture of the Percetion Prodigy 13. 5 this is the colour white/azure.
Attached Images