Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicView View Post
Would you bring your dog with you if you had to leave him in the camper in the summer while you went off site for several hours?

Are there any good solutions to this or basically just leave him at home?
I wouldn't do it. Think how devastated you'd be if something happened.
Good solutions? You could kennel him or put him in doggy day care, but you risk him catching kennel cough.
He'd probably feel safer at home.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #22

My dogs are very happy at home with the dog sitter. $50/day and the woman, who lives at home with her parents, loves to be at our house when we are gone.

Had a neighbor in one campground that swore their dogs never barked. They barked all day long when their owners were out hiking.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicView View Post
We like to take our dog with us camping. We're thinking of going to Old Orchard Beach, ME this summer. If we go to the beach, we'll have to leave our dog in his crate in the TT. We've only ever left him in the TT in the summer if we ran out to get groceries or went to a CG event.

Of course we would have the AC going, but if we're at the beach and the CG loses power, I don't see how we could get back in time before the TT got too hot. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Would you bring your dog with you if you had to leave him in the camper in the summer while you went off site for several hours?

Are there any good solutions to this or basically just leave him at home?
I leave a pre-printed form with the campground, listing my cell phone. I request they immediately call me if power is lost at campground. They are advised that I have animals in the trailer and I will be absent.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
My dogs are very happy at home with the dog sitter. $50/day and the woman, who lives at home with her parents, loves to be at our house when we are gone.

Had a neighbor in one campground that swore their dogs never barked. They barked all day long when their owners were out hiking.
$50 a day? and she lives at home? our coworker stays at our house for free because we have cable and a soaker tub. maybe my part time retirement job can be house sitting for people.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
$50 a day? and she lives at home? our coworker stays at our house for free because we have cable and a soaker tub. maybe my part time retirement job can be house sitting for people.
That's cheap around here. Boarding would be almost $100 for the two dogs.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #26

I have 3 dogs and take them everywhere. We find restaurants to eat outside. We find activities where the dogs can go. If no dogs are allowed I usually just don't go. We like hiking, swimming, backpacking and fishing in a boat. I love camping with dogs. They are family so we don't leave them alone in a crate. Sometimes we leave them in the truck in the shade for short periods or in the evening.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #27
Grammar Pedant

I think the OP's question has been answered. Leave the dog in the trailer, but make sure there is good ventilation. Or, take the dog with you. Either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
[...] As much as you like to think you're the "dog whisperer" and that all dogs bark, that's simply not true. [...]
I don't think "dog whisperer" means what you think it means. A "dog whisperer" is one who intuitively understands a dog's needs, motives, and desires, using that understanding to better train the dog. I have no idea how that applies to my belief that a majority of dogs bark. You lost me.

I suppose if I thought I was a dog whisperer, I wouldn't care about barking dogs ... I'd just use my jedi mind tricks to calm them down.

I do, however, agree that not all dogs bark. Basenjis are one such breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
[...] Sorry you've had some bad experiences, but you probably don't want to start implying some folks here are liars [...]
I definitely didn't imply anyone lied. You may have inferred that, but it doesn't mean I implied it.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #28

Live in FL & camp for a long weekend every month. Most of the time can take the dog(s) with us but our lovely SP beaches do not allow it so we do leave them for a couple hours at a time without issue.

During hotter months we usually try to camp where there is shade on site to help with the temp (love that ReserveAmerica lets us look at most of the SP sites in advance). We leave windows open & AC going with phone number posted on camper & when possible neighbors able to reach us. Our dogs live in FL & are used to being outside for hours so open windows on a shady site would probably be enough (but we like the AC too).
Part of us taking up camping was the cost to board the dogs - $100 / night is way more than the campsites we pick so they come with us (but still paying the neighborhood kids to care for the birds ... one bird scheduled to start camping with us in the upcoming year for the first time... should be interesting).
Thanks everyone that posted the good ideas here on temp monitoring. We just moved into smartphone land so can probably think about the added safety that notifications can provide.

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMePistol View Post
Most of the campgrounds in the OOB area are higher quality with only a couple exceptions... and in my opinion are less likely to lose power for long, if at all.

We travel with our lab on a regular basis and when we go away for the day we leave the AC on for him, along with the tv actually (he loves nature shows). We turn the camper fan on low and set a lower temp, say 65, in the camper. The AC runs some of the time, but the blower runs the whole time. And if the power were to go out the blower will run on the battery keeping the cool air moving. You could always leave your number with one of the neighbors to call should power go out. But this has never happened to us.

The A/C fan or blower as you call it is 110v just like the A/C itself. Lose power and no fan either.
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 CCLB DRW Cummins HO 4:10s
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #30
Back On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Twice I've had people say after a week or more they did not know I had a dog until seeing him walked.

We leave both AC units going and never crate him. All blinds are down ~ both day and night shades. He will either be in the LR with the tv or in bed when we get home.

I also use Alfred. I can hear what is going on, nothing ever but the tv and see the temp on a thermometer setting on the counter. A free app.
Alfred Camera is a very useful app. We watch the inside temperature and behavior of our dog while gone using an older cell phone not connected to cellular when we have good wifi, or leave one of our cell plan phones in the rig if wifi is poor (normally). Dogs have a better day at their RV home than going some places with us, especially where dogs aren't welcome.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan50 View Post
The A/C fan or blower as you call it is 110v just like the A/C itself. Lose power and no fan either.
I was just about to disagree with you.... But as I sat and thought about the vent systems you are absolutely right. Heat ducts are in the floor and AC in the ceiling. Two separate blowers...

Time to come up with another plan.

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
We bought the "Sensored Life MAR-500A Marcel Cellular Monitoring System" on Amazon for $200

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRMFEAQ

works great and sends us both a text message any time we lose power
Thanks - I will check this out.
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalich View Post
Do you have a generator? If so you can install a Automatic Generator Start system. The unit I just installed will start the generator to charge low batteries, power failure and has a temp sensor that will start the generator and A/C units if the inside temp exceeds a set level.

We did it because of our German Shepard. Summer time in Florida can cause low voltage issues in some campgrounds. The EMS/Surge protector will shut down power to protect the A/C and electronics and now the AGS will start up the generator to continue keeping the coach and dog cool.

Here is an example: https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/au...rt-stand-alone
I don’t have one, but great idea if I did.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
We bought the "Sensored Life MAR-500A Marcel Cellular Monitoring System" on Amazon for $200

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRMFEAQ

works great and sends us both a text message any time we lose power
Does it let you know if power comes back on? Could be frustrating if EMS shuts down for a minute then back on and everything goes back to normal while you are rushing back...

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That's cheap around here. Boarding would be almost $100 for the two dogs.
We used to travel with all dogs all the time as they part of the family and did dog friendly things.

Fast forward our dog we have had for almost two years now throws up the second he gets into a vehicle .

After my dad passes almost 3 years ago we have been taking care of his 2 dogs.

Cost before before we even fill up with diesel, buy groceries or even reserve a campsite, $450 a week at the kennel.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
We recently moved from Colorado to Florida with our elderly dog and were living in our camper while waiting to close on a newly purchased home. Twice we lost power to the camper: once due to a area-wide power outage; once when my EMS cut power to the camper for a bunch of minutes.

I have never left my dog in the camper anyway. But with this experience I would not even consider it.
That’s exactly my fear. It would not be unreasonable to expect a busy CG in the heat of summer would lose power or cause the EMS to turn power off.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I wouldn't do it. Think how devastated you'd be if something happened.
Good solutions? You could kennel him or put him in doggy day care, but you risk him catching kennel cough.
He'd probably feel safer at home.
You’re right about that. We would go the doggy daycare route. Now I’m thinking of getting a temperature sensor for the times we leave him in the TT and we’re at the CG pool!
Old 05-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
I leave a pre-printed form with the campground, listing my cell phone. I request they immediately call me if power is lost at campground. They are advised that I have animals in the trailer and I will be absent.
Funny you should say that. I was talking to one CG about that and the person I spoke with told me that they were too large to know if power goes out in my area. That sure would be a great guest service to have.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post

Cost before before we even fill up with diesel, buy groceries or even reserve a campsite, $450 a week at the kennel.
Ouch. IMO you’re doing a great thing caring for those dogs.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #40

We have a senior dog thats calm and laid back.
We take him everywhere. On occasion when we cant take him like going to dinner something not more than a couple hours.
We leave him in the trailer, we do have power monitoring, temp monitoring and a camera in trailer we can remote view everything.
However there are some dogs left in trailers that seem to bark non freakimg stop when there owners are away.
Yes... thats anoying!
Txfoster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply