Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #41

I got one of these:

https://trak-4.com/

Not only is it a good GPS tracker, but it reports the temperature of the unit as well. As long as it is located inside a conditioned space, you can regularly log on and get a temperature reading accurate to within a few degrees. The only exception is when it is being charged, then it warms up quite a bit.
The price is also hard to beat, the only limitation is you have to be in an area with cell service, so boondockers might need another option. I've had mine for over a year following the theft of my previous trailer, so far I'm very happy with it.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #42
Finalstatement

Send a message via AIM to Finalstatement
Maybe leave the air on with a small fan and air on. If the air goes out they still have circulation
And it won’t get to be a hot box we camped with horses for 35 years and left our dogs with the air on with no problem. The door was always open.
Finalstatement is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #43

Dog safety

I would go with some sort of power remote check application but as a backup I have always used an ice chest full of ice in a shady part of my RV. Your dogs will camp out around the ice chest (mine would actually stick his head in and sleep laying right on the ice).
jamescgraves is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #44

I was worried about this issue too, and I found an RV temperature monitor. I set the range (high/low) and it sends me alerts to my cell phone if it falls out of range (and I can check the temperature any time I want for peace of mind). The unit is a couple hundred dollars, and I pay $15 a month during camping season. They charge $5 to start and stop service. We leave the a/c on when we leave. The only thing that drives me insane is that you can’t turn it off, so it sends low battery alerts until it drains each time.

https://rvpetsafety.com/
Morning Star is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #45

Our solution to the same problem

We faced the same issue and after lots of research I decided to go with the iSocket3G. In the end I felt it was the easiest and most reliable, with reliable being the most important thing.

It sends me a text message when/if the power goes out and if the power is restored. I bought 2 and they come with a temperature probe that allows you to set a temperature at which you will get a text message. Think the power didn’t go out but your TT air conditioner died while you were out.

https://www.isocket3g.com/us

http://https://www.isocket3g.com/us/

Hope it gives you the peace of mind it gives me.
MSGDOC2017 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #46
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Don't leave an unattended pet in your RV. Take your dog with your or find an appropriate dog-sitter. Owning a dog means you may not be able to engage in certain activities. Either forgo those opportunities or find a person who can watch the dog. Please don't transfer your inconvenience onto me.

I get tired of listening to these "dogs that never bark" sit in RVs and bark at every passing person or car.

I feel really bad for these dogs. There’s a lot of anxiety reflected in all this barking. No matter what the park rules are, there is barking. I’ve had several precious dogs in my life time. Great fun and memories and big responsibility.
Go to doggy daycare, that’s the best idea.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 12:21 AM   #47

Would a Nest thermostat work in a travel trailer? I have one in my house and it is very helpful. I was wondering if you set it up in a trailer you could control the thermostat with a cell phone.
padgie945 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #48
jvg

We travel with our Frenchie to Florida for a few weeks in June. When we get to CG we look around for other dog owners. We introduce ourselves and ask them if they would be willing to exchange cell numbers and call each other if the power goes out and we see the other is not there. We never had power go out for more than little while and the air turns on automatic. But we still got a call ASAP from our people. Also, we end up with good dog loving friends.
JimG
jvg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicView View Post
We like to take our dog with us camping. We're thinking of going to Old Orchard Beach, ME this summer. If we go to the beach, we'll have to leave our dog in his crate in the TT. We've only ever left him in the TT in the summer if we ran out to get groceries or went to a CG event.

Of course we would have the AC going, but if we're at the beach and the CG loses power, I don't see how we could get back in time before the TT got too hot. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Would you bring your dog with you if you had to leave him in the camper in the summer while you went off site for several hours?

Are there any good solutions to this or basically just leave him at home?
Get the app 'Alfred' you use an
extra cell phone as a camera. It's free and works very well. It's what we use with an indoor thermometer to monitor temp in coach.
RobinDella is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
I feel really bad for these dogs. There’s a lot of anxiety reflected in all this barking. No matter what the park rules are, there is barking. I’ve had several precious dogs in my life time. Great fun and memories and big responsibility.
Go to doggy daycare, that’s the best idea.
In YOUR opinion it's the best idea. Don't tell my Mini Doxies that. We bring camper over to prep for a trip and they go nuts. They can't wait to go. If they manage to slip through door as we are in and out, it's off to races to see which one gets to camper first.
RobinDella is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Isn't there WiFi apps that allow you to check on pooch and the power while you are away from the TT?
They do have a wifi temp monitor and tou can even get a camera with the same setup. Sometimes wifi isn't very good so you would need a hot spot.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #52

We take our family member with us!

We never left our kids (now adults) in our RV, and we don’t leave our Blue Heeler Sprinkles alone in our RV either! It’s just a matter of working around a family member! Once we agreed on that, it became a simple decision! She’s an integral family member! She goes with us! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #53

RV Pet Monitor

We always travel with at least one of our dogs in our RV. We use a Nimble Pet Monitor which links to an app on our cell phone called RV Pet Safety. This monitors the temperature and sends alerts to my cell phone and allows me to check the temperature of the RV remotely at anytime. I personally would not travel without one.
profdollar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #54

We have a 15 year old dog that always goes camping with us now. We used to use a doggy daycare at home and leave him behind but he's not going to be around a whole lot longer so he comes with us. Yes, it's a big inconvenience like when you want to do some local sightseeing. Even just grocery shopping can be a big problem. It's the price you pay for owning a dog and if you don't like the usual dog ownership hassles, you shouldn't have gotten one.

I can't see an RV being much different than a vehicle. The temp. in a vehicle can soar to deadly temps. in only 15-20 minutes even with open windows. An app for a phone that notifies you if power goes out or the temp. goes way up is great but you might not get back in time. Dogs are even more vulnerable compared to humans due to their small sweat glands and they can't take the heat like we can.

We use a doggy daycare near a CG when we want to spend some time away by ourselves. That's when our laptop and Verizon mifi really comes in handy. They can get busy so you should book far enough in advance. There may be other options like say finding a fellow camper in a CG willing to sit your dog for a while.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #55

doggie daycare

We always find a nearby dog daycare- that way your dog is very tired when you pick him up which is great all the way around-your dog is tired and happy and so are you! Most towns seem to have dog daycares now,even small towns.
vicwood is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #56

Had a first this past camping week ...was at Fort Clinch SP on Amelia Island in FL and as we checked in the rangers issued us a pet alert card to place in our trailer window so we could be notified if there was any issue. We are going to leave it up every where (I already had a window card with our phone numbers on it but this looks a bit better).

For those of you worried about your camper temp - just turn the AC off for a bit & sit in your camper. I find that with shade & the windows open our TT really does not heat up nearly as bad as my mobile home of many years ago. I still leave AC on when gone.

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply