Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #21
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Get a fish bowl with a cover...give 'em something to do
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Roo The Day View Post
You might check into the Cat Genie automatic cat box for your inside only cats. We have 3 cats and 2 Genies, one to use in case the other is cleaning itself. They both clean at least once per day, and are also cat activated. We think they are wonderful, have been using them for 4 years.
We run 2 Cat Genie for 4 cats that never go outside, we gone 6 weeks this summer and had 1 cat sitter that came once a week.....they great we had them over 2 years now and they still run perfect...we get ours at Costco :

Catgenie 120 Self-Washing Self-Flushing Cat Box
Pierre Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #23

We're glad to get all your comments and suggestions. Most prove that kitty kitties can be the center of everyone's existence and must be attended to with grace and respect. I think we're good to go using a lot of your idea's. We might even decide to take him with us trying to keep him in the trailer while traveling. Thanks to all!!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #24

I regularly check in with my friend's cat when she is gone. I have cats myself (the outdoor kind) and I see nothing wrong with having a friend or sitter check every 4-5 days.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #25

We have left our cats for 4 weeks. We use clumping litter and I usually only scoop it every 3rd day anyway. No odor. If our grandkids are available to stay at the house it works well. Otherwise daughters and grandkids take turns coming by for litter. food and fresh water detail every couple of days. Grandson spends time playing with them when he can. When we get home we get a couple of dirty looks but they are happy to see us. They are siblings who have always been together. They are absolutely petrified of the travel trailer. Tried putting one in and she was so scared she peed all over. And our trailer is a very small 18 foot inside so really no room for litter box, etc. We will be leaving soon for another 3-4 week trip and will do the same.
jeanniemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #26

No grand kids yet, but one son can come out and check on him. Mylo's always glad to see us and JoeMax, our Sheltie who we take with us, Multiple feeders and litter boxes are excellent idea's. Thanks
Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #27

I loved my cats. They were the most pampered pets ever. I did leave them alone for a week at a time with "drop down" feeder, a water feeder and a dripping faucet in the bathroom. Anything longer than a week, I hired someone to come in, check on them, change litter box etc. Now I have a much loved daughter in law who is allergic to cats and I have a very pampered Shih Tzu dog. My precious puppy travels with me.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #28

We have two cats that we have just started taking with us. They do keep talking to us while we travel but as soon as we take them out of their cages and let them loose in the trailer they are fine. We are training them to go out on a leash and that seems to be working but slow. At home they are given the run of the house and let outside whenever they want to go. But that changes when we take them anywhere. We did leave them at home a few times and had our grandson to come in everyday to check on them even though we had an automatic feeder and water. But we missed them too much while we were gone so the wife and I decided to start taking them with us.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #29
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
We're glad to get all your comments and suggestions. Most prove that kitty kitties can be the center of everyone's existence and must be attended to with grace and respect. I think we're good to go using a lot of your idea's. We might even decide to take him with us trying to keep him in the trailer while traveling. Thanks to all!!
I have a 20-year-old cat (Maine Coon) with several health issues that require daily medication, so I couldn't leave her even if I wanted to (but I don't want to anyway). I used to have a MH until it got too old and I had to let it go (donated it to a charity). After several years of trying to find places like lodges, B&B's etc. that allow cats, I decided to buy another MH instead and it's been great. She travels in a cage (meows only occasionally) and once at our destination she's happy as a clam: she has her food, water, litter box, heated(!) bed and my company, what more could she want? Being an indoor cat, she has never even tried to sneak outside.
If you can take your cat, you'll be glad you did, you won't miss your pet and you'll have peace of mind!
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #30

We have ours checked/fed on daily by either my parents or hers. We've left his care to others, but the parents do it best and keep him happy. We are usually only gone long weekends due to work, but he's not the type that will graze on food, just devours anything that he can get to. Have an AM dry food autofeeder, then somebody feeds him at night.

We are going to be spending 7 nights in Florida over new years, wife is stressing out over what to do with him. Going out this weekend only about an hour from home so we may try taking him with and see what happens. He's spent a night in the camper already when the house a/c quit and didn't take too long to settle down. Wife still hasn't made the final call.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #31

By all means, take them with you if you can! I'm sure if we had a vote here, most folks would say the cats adapt very quickly to travel, especially the inside only ones. I had a cat that would walk on a leash, and that was also great fun around the campgrounds. But, if you have that cat that will dart for the door every time he gets half a chance and then runs, leave that guy at home. You both will be happier.
I Roo The Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #32

Gonna reveal what I have kept as my 'secret identity' on the forum .... I am a veterinarian

PLEASE .... someone needs to stop in at least once daily to verify no animal in crisis (I hire my neighborhood kids for twice daily visits ... the parents are very happy cause they don't need to get another animal, the kids learn responsibility & they love the $$$)

You would not believe the medical disasters I have had to address with families returning home to things you could never even imagine would happen ... and many of those issues cost way more than a couple bucks for your neighbor kid

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #33
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by life without whine View Post
gonna reveal what i have kept as my 'secret identity' on the forum .... I am a veterinarian

please .... Someone needs to stop in at least once daily to verify no animal in crisis (i hire my neighborhood kids for twice daily visits ... The parents are very happy cause they don't need to get another animal, the kids learn responsibility & they love the $$$)

you would not believe the medical disasters i have had to address with families returning home to things you could never even imagine would happen ... And many of those issues cost way more than a couple bucks for your neighbor kid
Thank you!!! My sentiments exactly!!!
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #34

Our cat, Phoxielou, has been with us on our ALCAN trip, and all over last fall and winter. She is a great traveler and never causes any problem. She is a great companion for us.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:16 AM   #35

Three years ago, we went on a 10 day trip to NJ. Left the dogs with my daughter, but the cat didn't like other cats or kennels. We arranged for someone to check on him every 3-4 days, but apparently, there was a communications problem and we arrived home just hours before he died from dehydration. I've never felt more guilty, and the girl who was supposed to check on him was devastated. Her father forgot to tell her, so she never came to the house.
Now, we are down to one dog. My daughter has moved out of state, so Willie comes with us, or he is boarded with our vet.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
Three years ago, we went on a 10 day trip to NJ. Left the dogs with my daughter, but the cat didn't like other cats or kennels. We arranged for someone to check on him every 3-4 days, but apparently, there was a communications problem and we arrived home just hours before he died from dehydration. I've never felt more guilty, and the girl who was supposed to check on him was devastated. Her father forgot to tell her, so she never came to the house.
Now, we are down to one dog. My daughter has moved out of state, so Willie comes with us, or he is boarded with our vet.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Your story is the reason I started this posting! How tragic. We take for granted that everything is cared for when we leave, and trusts are made, but the most obvious things like communications are forgotten. We pray for you.

Tags
cat