Old 11-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #21

Wow. Thanks for sharing.
Glad you saved them.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tking01_2000 View Post
Not being Snarky or judgmental just they are a funny dog with a bad rap Own one my self and he thinks he needs shotgun before my wife!
If we only had one, I definitely could see the separation issues happening but they have each other, and a warm soft bed which is where you'll find them when we're home too. I don't think they felt slighted, but I don't feel like you were being snarky. This ended well and we'll make sure windows are closed and they're checked often.
They weren't banished to the back but I couldn't put someone elses child in the trailer and put the dogs in the truck.. I just don't see that going well and making three dogs squeeze into a seat for one isn't fair. We were doing what we felt was the best LEGAL solution (that's not directed to who I'm quoting.)

Old 11-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #23

It you are towing a TT, put a topper on your truck and have a pass through window. When we start traveling, that is where the fur babies will be going. We will keep the pass through window open so we can check on them and they can get some AC and Heat back there if needed. I am also thinking of putting a camper vents on the top to pull the air through.

I like the idea of the backup camera and baby monitor. I could just imagine your panic and thank you for passing that info on. I was thinking of maybe keeping my bird in the TT while in transit.

I am so happy they made it. You have beautiful babies and I can tell from the picture they are well taken care of and well loved.

Having been stuck in traffic before, I have suffered from the exhaust fumes to where I got a severe headache and felt light headed. Very scary feeling and it would not surprise me at all if that was the culprit, especially if you had a bad car next to you. Like those clean burning diesel Volkswagon. Sorry I could not resist.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #24
MCTroy

i too am glad your story has a very happy ending. I hesitated to post this but I swear it this is true... a dog fart will set off a CO2 monitor. So if there were 3 of them... But you also said they were lethargic so it could have been the exhaust. In our case, it was just one too many hot dogs for the big lab!
Hurry Spring 2018! We have plans ready!
MCTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
i too am glad your story has a very happy ending. I hesitated to post this but I swear it this is true... a dog fart will set off a CO2 monitor. So if there were 3 of them... But you also said they were lethargic so it could have been the exhaust. In our case, it was just one too many hot dogs for the big lab!
OMG, I LOL'd. It didn't stink but I sure wouldn't put it past them!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
They weren't alone, there are three of them. They had a bottom bunk with their favorite blanket and pillows to boot. I appreciate everyone's opinions, but I don't think its wrong to allow them to travel in the trailer, even the law allows it. Yes, I am very thankful this had a successful ending. The baby monitors are a great idea, thank you. As for the judgements.. I guess they're like opinions and everyone has them.
Ever ridden back there while the trailer is being towed?

Pretty sure that if you did, you'd NEVER put your pets back there again.
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #27

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
On our last camping trip, we decided the allow the dogs to ride in the travel trailer on the way to our campsite, so we could fit my daughters friend in the truck to come on the trip. We opened a window towards the front and used a baby gate to keep them in the back bunk area. When we arrived at the campsite about 2 hrs away (with traffic), we began hooking up when I tapped on the window and the dogs barely moved (when normally they would've been wagging their entire bodies.)
Then we heard it.. the carbon monoxide alarm. I could not get in fast enough. The dogs were all panting and lethargic. I got them out and was probably in mild shock myself. It took a few minutes to air everything out and their behavior to normalize. When everything settled down I began to tear up thinking we could have lost all 3 dogs in one pop and would have had an entirely different trip, and life changing event occur.

Lesson learned. Either in the truck with us (especially if its a warm day) or windows closed in the travel trailer, plus stopping every 45 minutes to check on them.

Glad you caught it in time. We would leave our two dogs and the cat in the camper during the hottest part of the day with the A/C on. Went back at lunch to check om them and smelled gas . Must have brushed up against the stove burner knob; was on about half way. Opened the windows and doors, got the pets out and hoped no one came by with a flame. Dodged a bullet that time. Now I'm OCD about checking the stove.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #28

Lesson learned

I'm not sure if the entire lesson has been learned would you put your children back there or your spouse I hope not Dogs shouldn't be there either in my opinion
Old 11-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #29

Not sure why the OP is getting negative comments.
Not sure about US but here is Australia show dogs, greyhounds etc are transported in dog trailers much less comfortable than a camper and just as likely to intake exhaust fumes.
I think the OP just had bad luck in a rare situation but would agree to open roof vents if possible while traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #30

We had just discussed the option of traveling with pets back in the trailer because we have an 8 hr trip with the cat & dog & would love to have the cat out of the carrier in the truck but had just planned an extra 30 minute break in the trailer at a rest stop for cat to hit the litter box....... thanx for the warning & I am sure I will have the opportunity to pass your close call on to others. Glad yours had a good ending ....