Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

Unhappy Lesson Learned... could have been deadly...

On our last camping trip, we decided the allow the dogs to ride in the travel trailer on the way to our campsite, so we could fit my daughters friend in the truck to come on the trip. We opened a window towards the front and used a baby gate to keep them in the back bunk area. When we arrived at the campsite about 2 hrs away (with traffic), we began hooking up when I tapped on the window and the dogs barely moved (when normally they would've been wagging their entire bodies.)
Then we heard it.. the carbon monoxide alarm. I could not get in fast enough. The dogs were all panting and lethargic. I got them out and was probably in mild shock myself. It took a few minutes to air everything out and their behavior to normalize. When everything settled down I began to tear up thinking we could have lost all 3 dogs in one pop and would have had an entirely different trip, and life changing event occur.

Lesson learned. Either in the truck with us (especially if its a warm day) or windows closed in the travel trailer, plus stopping every 45 minutes to check on them.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #2

My dogs are a big part of our family and to think what could have happened just scares me! What was making the alarm go off?
Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
Site Team

I'm glad they were ok, but I can't figure out why there would be a CO build up in the camper. Was there a vent open near the rear of the TT to allow air to flow through?
Old 11-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #4

Yes, the vent was open, as was the window in the front. I think being stuck in traffic was possibly the culprit but honestly, I don't know. I could smell the traffic fumes and even mentioned to my husband that I wondered if that was possibly getting to the dogs too. I can only guess at this point, but that's all I can come up with. Welcome to ideas to ensure it never happens again.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #5

Glad it ended well....was you exhaust on the same side as the open window? with a roof vent open I'll bet it would suck in a lot of fumes from your exhaust.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #6

The window was opposite our exhaust but we were in stopped traffic for about 20 minutes and heavy traffic most of the way.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

Dang that's crazy. With our 2nd one on the way, we have no room for our dogs in the truck anymore. Putting them in the trailer was going to be our best option. But that would be scary to see.

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

That would absolutely devastate us. Very glad it worked out OK.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #9

I wonder if you just used roof vents with an exhaust fan if it would prevent this.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Site Team

I wouldn't think being stopped in traffic would cause much of a buildup of CO inside the TT. There wasn't something with an open flame in it was there. Like a pilot flame in the oven, etc.?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I wouldn't think being stopped in traffic would cause much of a buildup of CO inside the TT. There wasn't something with an open flame in it was there. Like a pilot flame in the oven, etc.?
Not that I'm aware of. When we cooked, everything had to be turned on in order to cook. We didn't use the gas until the next morning, and the CO detector didn't go off at any other point.

I don't want to take any chances and with the cooler temps, having the windows closed on the way back worked out well.

I am listening to all suggestions though. I wish I knew exactly what caused it.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #12

Show of hands, how many let their pets ride in the TT while towing? I've never thought of doing that because my dog doesn't do well separated.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #13

Pickup Trucks (any Tow Vehicle) put out LOTS of Exhaust!!
That's why the Tailpipe isn't put anywhere near the Passenger Windows!!
Opening a Side Window near the Front of the Trailer allowed the TV Exhaust (plus a bit from surrounding Traffic - but mostly your own vehicle) to be Drawn In.

Your Best Bet would have been to Crack Open the Roof Vents (assuming they are Travel-Worthy Shielded and not the type that would be Blown Off at Highway Speeds).
A lot of Toyhaulers also have Exhaust Vents that are mounted on the Sides of the Garage Area (rather low since CO2 sinks - but that is likely the lesser of your Exhaust Gas worries than CO).

If you find yourself needing to "Tow the Dogs", you might start looking around for a set of WiFi Baby Monitors (or even a Trailer Backup Camera set that you mount Inside rather than Outside).
Old 11-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #14

OMD--yes, lesson learned. SO glad this had a good ending. I couldn't imagine......
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #15

Near tragedy

I can't imagine putting my dogs in a tt when towing guess they are like my kids but now people know that's a terrible idea
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
On our last camping trip, we decided the allow the dogs to ride in the travel trailer on the way to our campsite, so we could fit my daughters friend in the truck to come on the trip. We opened a window towards the front and used a baby gate to keep them in the back bunk area. When we arrived at the campsite about 2 hrs away (with traffic), we began hooking up when I tapped on the window and the dogs barely moved (when normally they would've been wagging their entire bodies.)
Then we heard it.. the carbon monoxide alarm. I could not get in fast enough. The dogs were all panting and lethargic. I got them out and was probably in mild shock myself. It took a few minutes to air everything out and their behavior to normalize. When everything settled down I began to tear up thinking we could have lost all 3 dogs in one pop and would have had an entirely different trip, and life changing event occur.

Lesson learned. Either in the truck with us (especially if its a warm day) or windows closed in the travel trailer, plus stopping every 45 minutes to check on them.

Thanks for posting this as a warning to others - there is much to be learned here. I'm happy that disaster was averted.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #17

Beautiful Pups glad they made it to camp and back sure they were not mad about the slight of riding in the trailer? They are a forgiving breed but still emotinal!
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #18

I'm so glad your pups are OK.

I also know it does no good for others to make snarky remarks since you are trying to warn others.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #19

They weren't alone, there are three of them. They had a bottom bunk with their favorite blanket and pillows to boot. I appreciate everyone's opinions, but I don't think its wrong to allow them to travel in the trailer, even the law allows it. Yes, I am very thankful this had a successful ending. The baby monitors are a great idea, thank you. As for the judgements.. I guess they're like opinions and everyone has them.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #20

Not being Snarky or judgmental just they are a funny dog with a bad rap Own one my self and he thinks he needs shotgun before my wife!
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote